The Mid-Century/Danish thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Sam Cogley, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

More Mid Century Schlock for the living room with the bronze ship.......I had the Spanish Knight already. I got the ship for $20

20181213_095051.jpg

20181213_095116.jpg

Jack Lord, lokerola and Drugolf like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Who has a MCM home? I have to admit, I do not have very much MCM furnishings.

Julius Shulman photograph, scan from Julius Shulman: Modernism Rediscovered by Pierluigi Serraino.

Fair use claimed, it's my home in 1958.

[​IMG]

And in 2018...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    kray, Cadillac Kid, lokerola and 4 others like this.
  3. sslade43

sslade43 AK Subscriber Subscriber

That’s an awesome house. I live in a 1958 ranch, but it’s not that modern.

4. Vaughn

Vaughn Super Member

I love this house!

5. Bodyblue

I changed the locale of the ship to the dining room where I had a bigger wall for it. It will look better with the little ships once the Christmas tree comes down. And it is a bit off center because I had to use the studs in the wall to hang it....the sucker is really heavy. The angle of the pic makes it look like the ship is way far left when it is just a few inches off center.

20181213_172954.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  6. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Thanks!

7. Bodyblue

I woke up in the middle of the night and had a much better idea instead of the painting by the desk.

20181214_082158.jpg 20181214_082455.jpg

8. darg

darg When in doubt, C4

I am heart broken. I was antiques window shopping in the last week and found a really nice side table that looks nice. Ignore the blue porcelain crap on it :)
    IMG_0131.JPG

Very basic design, no fancy stuff, no fancy patterns.

IMG_0130.JPG

The only thing is, it's not for sale :-( The shop owner just mentioned that the people that sell the blue set of porcelain use it for staging and I wasn't the first who ask for a price :)
    No information given about the manufacturer, I checked for labels but nothing. Hope maybe somebody here can at least give me a hint who made it.

IMG_0142.JPG

9. nedseg

nedseg AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very pretty table!! Curious about who made it too.
    FWIW, that brand/style of porcelain seems to be very 'desirable' in the resale/mcm shops around here - weird, b/c it was really cheap stuff originally.
    I still have a few pieces of it - heavy, almost clumsily made, and breaks really easily.

10. darg

darg When in doubt, C4

Well, the comment of the shop owner about the table was that it would make a much better sales item than the porcelain stuff :)

11. reydelaplaya

reydelaplaya AK Subscriber Subscriber

Curiosity got the best of me because I like molded/bent plywood furniture so I had a quick search around the net. I did manage to find one, but they didn't know the maker either. It sold for $99 in Netherlands a few years ago:

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/8205877-maker-unknown-bent-wood-plywood-triangular-table

That's a nice looking table. I'd go back to the antique shop and show them the listing, and see if I couldn't work out a purchase based on that price. ;)

Pics from that listing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. darg

darg When in doubt, C4

Yeah, would love to do that but the table is not for sale at all :-( They do consignment and the seller is not selling the table. Maybe if it’s still there in a month I will try my luck again. Too bad.

I’m actually thinking about building one similar to this. There is a technique out that would allow to bend wood in such large radius.