The Mid-Century/Danish thread

Here's a unique Royal Haeger planter that's been in the family for three generations. It was purchased from the factory in Dundee IL. It is currently used for cat grass and sits on a custom made laminated coffee table. Both circa 1950-ish. The table is unsigned however the underside reveals several generations of Crayola Crayon "art". :D

Last edited:
I picked up this table at an estate sale on Saturday. I missed a nice Pilot hi-fi console, and a really nice sideboard (that was waiting to be picked up...a dream piece, I so wish it had been for sale) but was happy with this table. It looks better in person, and needs a little work but I love the trapezoid shape. It allows a chair or two to sit at an angle to it, while being parallel to the sides. It's walnut with black lacquer inlays.

IMG_3807.jpg

Here's a couple of pieces I picked up and restored this past year. The first is a dining table I restored a few months ago. It is actually solid rosewood and has such a beautiful grain. I ended up getting it for free, used an abused, it looked nothing like this when I picked it up.

The second is a France & Son teak coffee table, which I found complete, on top of a pile of garbage in Union Square. This table is also solid wood, no veneer. I haven't been able to determine who designed it, but I don't really care because I'd rather not sell it.

Not pictured, my original Saarinen Tulip Dining Table for Knoll, also found in the garbage, on Bowery.

Attachments

• 6211_594181483625_24400053_34767622_5623305_n.jpg
    6211_594181483625_24400053_34767622_5623305_n.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 279
  • DogS1xnqOi65l0oeihoPA34uo1_400.jpg
    DogS1xnqOi65l0oeihoPA34uo1_400.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 328
Very nice. What stain/oil did you use to refinish the dining table? And nice score on the tulip table! :thmbsp:

Very nice. What stain/oil did you use to refinish the dining table? And nice score on the tulip table! :thmbsp:

Thanks! No stain, I just used tung oil, built up maybe a half dozen coats before I considered it done. I really like the quality of a finish it provides, it is quite durable, and can be reapplied with very little preparation.

Here's a couple of pieces I picked up and restored this past year. The first is a dining table I restored a few months ago. It is actually solid rosewood and has such a beautiful grain. I ended up getting it for free, used an abused, it looked nothing like this when I picked it up.

The second is a France & Son teak coffee table, which I found complete, on top of a pile of garbage in Union Square. This table is also solid wood, no veneer. I haven't been able to determine who designed it, but I don't really care because I'd rather not sell it.

Not pictured, my original Saarinen Tulip Dining Table for Knoll, also found in the garbage, on Bowery.
That's some pair of curbside finds!

Thanks! No stain, I just used tung oil, built up maybe a half dozen coats before I considered it done. I really like the quality of a finish it provides, it is quite durable, and can be reapplied with very little preparation.
I've used tung oil on a few pieces and it gives a fantastic finish. Nice work.

Last night I was browsing auction listings when a picture of what appeared to be a mid-century dresser caught my eye. I hauled myself out of the house this morning, made the hour-plus drive...and scored!

Three-piece bedroom set made by Huntley Furniture - twin bed, three-drawer low dresser (missing mirror, the family is going to give me a call if it turns up - one was obviously attached), 5-drawer chest-on-chest dresser. All for the princely sum of $80 - the only other bid was the auctioneer himself starting things off. The brass pulls are going to need to be sanded, polished and re-lacquered, as they're quite dull now, but that's a minor quibble. I wish I had the matching nightstands, but the family members said they never had them.

Huntley furniture seems to have been founded around the turn of the century and merged with the Thomasville Chair Company to become Thomasville Furniture in 1961. http://antiquerestorers.com/cgi-bin/bbs/furn/config.pl?read=8712

These pieces are extremely well-built, all solid wood and high quality veneers with dovetail joints on the drawers. The bed has a bookshelf headboard with a footboard that matches the bottom of the dressers.

Making life weird (and a bit annoying, as I could have made one trip), the auction was just down the road from the place where I bought the Mystery Console Thursday evening.

Attachments

• Huntley1.jpg
    Huntley1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 194
  • Huntley2.jpg
    Huntley2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
We have a modest collection of stuff - mostly 60's. We have collected quite a few vintage lamps over the years.

Most of the stereo gear is from the 80's and 90's though, and doesn't match at all.

I had about 6-7 pieces around here before I knew it was a style. I really was buying stuff that sort of matched my 1960 Pilot console. I just liked the stuff I brought home and my wife didnt get near as pissed at me like she does speakers. I am trying to learn the rest of the look so I can accessorize my house a little better.

If anyone knows anything more about Huntley furniture or can point me in the direction of a couple of nightstands and a queen or king bed for their #42 set, I'm all ears. :D

Actually, I probably should have bought the brand-new mattress set that had been with this bed and dropped to a slightly smaller size. My queen bed is a bit big for my current bedroom.

Last edited:
Dump Find: Original Eames Chair w/ Ottoman

This Eames is in surprisingly good condition and has few issues with the veneer on either the chair or ottoman. Some minor scratches & scrapes but that is about it. The one big problem is that it broke at the rubber hinge points. This is a common problem with this chair. Someone would lean back putting great force on the chair back and the wood that the mounts were attached to would splinter, usually catastrophically. This renders the chair useless and very expensive to fix.

I got lucky. Not only is this one rosewood (not used since (the early 80's?) when it became protected), the glue let go at the mounts themselves saving the wood from splintering. (Repro mounts are available too @ $50/pair.) I have not go forward with the fix yet because in pieces it is easier to store. It's in queue for this winter however. I did clean-up the ottoman and it has been in use since I got it. The veneer positively drank in furniture oil and the rosewood is beautiful. I was not sure about the leather and whether or not it would come back but after a couple of applications of saddle soap it is like butter and shiny. I'll post a shot of it over the weekend. The chair should clean up in a similar fashion.

Here it the set right after I got them from the dump. The chair back is not yellow as it appears in the picture but looks just like the wood in the last shot with the label.

eames_7.jpg

eames_6.jpg

eames_8.jpg

eames_9.jpg

eames_3.jpg

eames_1.jpg

eames_2.jpg

A Herman Miller dump find?! Wow, that's luck! Very cool, and I'm looking forward to the "after" pics!

I've pulled these pictures into other threads before, but here they are again...

The first one is a Herman Miller Side Shell chair:

attachment.php

The next is a HM knock-off by Krueger Metal Products of Wisconsin, of which I have two.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This Eames is in surprisingly good condition and has few issues with the veneer on either the chair or ottoman. Some minor scratches & scrapes but that is about it. The one big problem is that it broke at the rubber hinge points. This is a common problem with this chair. Someone would lean back putting great force on the chair back and the wood that the mounts were attached to would splinter, usually catastrophically. This renders the chair useless and very expensive to fix.

I got lucky. Not only is this one rosewood (not used since (the early 80's?) when it became protected), the glue let go at the mounts themselves saving the wood from splintering. (Repro mounts are available too @ $50/pair.) I have not go forward with the fix yet because in pieces it is easier to store. It's in queue for this winter however. I did clean-up the ottoman and it has been in use since I got it. The veneer positively drank in furniture oil and the rosewood is beautiful. I was not sure about the leather and whether or not it would come back but after a couple of applications of saddle soap it is like butter and shiny. I'll post a shot of it over the weekend. The chair should clean up in a similar fashion.

Here it the set right after I got them from the dump. The chair back is not yellow as it appears in the picture but looks just like the wood in the last shot with the label.

Nice find! That looks like it will fix up nicely and will be worth a considerable amount of money (but who would sell it?). I believe, but don't quote me, that the rosewood is worth more because they don't make it in that anymore. But that's just going by a Craiglist listing I read yesterday! So...take it for what it's worth.

An Eames chair and matching ottoman at the dump?!? Good grief.

Yessir, and (2) knock-offs prior to this one, made in Brazil & the other Ohio. Just enough different to keep them out of legal trouble I guess.

Those were long ago offered up to the craigslist gods.

Back
Top Bottom