The Mighty Bogen MO-200A

dcgillespie

Fisher SA-100 Clone
Subscriber
Just as I get everything cleaned up from my Fisher X-1000 project (and related projects), this sucker showed up on my doorstep yesterday. The mailman was none to happy to put it there, but exceedingly happy once he had. I had similar feelings getting it downstairs to the lab. This is one heavy sucker!

I've never seen or heard one of these amps in person, but have read all manner of glowing sonic and theoretical evaluations, have seen a thread with a rebuild or two, and have even seen a number of threads where work was at least started on one -- or on it's smaller MO-100A brother. But still, while the specs certainly imply there should be good performance, and the sheer mass of the transformers scream that this thing should absolutely get'er done (a little southern speak there for ya), no one that I am aware of has ever taken a stock unit, put it through its paces to document the base performance of the unit, and then developed a plan accordingly to make the best of what it is as separated channels for stereo operation. This thread should go a long way to address this effort, as that is exactly what was requested of this unit.

The initial plan then will be:

1. Thoroughly evaluate the tubes provided, and (hopefully) produce two matched quads of good tubes -- from the batch of 16 that were sent. If we can't get past this step, then the whole scope of the work immediately changes.

2. Evaluate the unit itself, and address any needs to produce proper operation of the stock design.

3. Develop a base line of information regarding power bandwidth, distortion, and frequency response, as well as other lesser informative pieces of information.

When this work is finished, then a workable plan can be developed to maximize the unit for what it is, based on the known performance of the stock unit. Until that is known, any effort of improvement is just shooting in the wind.

For those interested, some basic information might be of value at this point. This unit was designed with two principle objectives in mind:

1. To work as a 200 watt sound distribution amplifier, with the necessary 25 volt and 70 volt connections provided for the constant voltage speaker systems, or

2. To provide a 200 watt 115 vac source of power to operate variable frequency devices such as shaker tables and the like.

Also, a conventional 8 ohm output tap is provided as well. However, one of the greatest features of this amplifier is the duty cycle it was designed to operate under: It was designed to produce full power output on a continuous basis.

When you consider the tubes used, it only takes a pair to produce 100 watts of power output (of plate power anyway). Therefore, to produce (essentially) 200 watts, only 4 tubes are really required. In fact, in the production amp world, there are plenty of 200 watt amps using just 4 6550s, 4 KT88s, and so on to produce that power level.

By using 8 similar type tubes in this amp then to produce the same power level, the necessary current draw through each tube is halved, lowering dissipation levels in each tube under full power conditions, and extending tube life.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but considering the revised operating environment and cost of these tubes, one possibility is to simply remove a pair out output tubes in each "channel". Each channel would still produce nearly the same amount of power output, because the OPT primary impedance is based on a single pair of tubes producing 100 watts. That's why a quad of tubes in each channel produces no more power than a pair does, but simply halves the current through each tube to produce that power level.

In a different thread, I also mentioned an alternate output connection possibility for a much better 8 ohm match configuration than the 6.25 ohm connection does that is commonly mentioned -- the same alternate connection that Tom Bavis also mentioned from his testing on one of the OPTs used in these units.

Tube testing is underway now, with initial results in the next post. For now, pics include:

1. Get a jack or reinforced table to work on this one. It gives you a workout just moving it around on the bench!

2. This one is in pretty nice physical shape. Plenty of cooling holes provided to allow it to do its intended job on a continuous basis.

3. Not too bad. But somebody has been here before me.

4. The power supply has had the can caps replaced recently, and has been rebuilt in general. But the work is of very questionable quality: For an amplifier of this size and power level, this work is inviting all manner of big and potentially expensive problems.

5. Clearly, something blew up at some point.......

So, my work is cut out just to develop a base line -- but it should be interesting. More soon!

Dave

Attachments

• Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 009.jpg
    Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 009.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 008.jpg
    Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 008.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 866
  • Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 010.jpg
    Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 010.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 860
  • Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 011.jpg
    Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 011.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 720
  • Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 012.jpg
    Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 012.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 724
Just out of curiosity, what does one of these beasts weigh? I know my 100a's are quite heavy for their size. I can't imagine wanting to move around a 200a.

Hours of fun staring at ya!

Looking forward to your exegesis of the circuit and mods.

With that kind of weight, I'd consider attaching a strong pair of handles with reinforced mountings somewhere to make it easier to move around.

By using 8 similar type tubes in this amp then to produce the same power level, the necessary current draw through each tube is halved, lowering dissipation levels in each tube under full power conditions, and extending tube life.

That would certainly explain the four 8417 tubes in my Bogen M120 amplifier. It certainly does the job although it is just mono.

Last edited:
You do realize, of course, that by embarking on one of these projects, you will make the MO-200 a desirable amplifier and therefore drive up the prices. So I suppose this means invest in Bogen tube amp futures.

-D

p.s. am I seeing that label right? Does that amp actually require a 5A fuse? That's close to 600W of power draw!

p.s. am I seeing that label right? Does that amp actually require a 5A fuse? That's close to 600W of power draw!

probably. The 100a says 2.5 amps on the back, and it uses a 3.2 amp slow-blow fuse. A 5 amp fuse for a pair of them on one chassis sounds about right.

Or wheels. ;)

-D

It seems to me a nice custom rotisserie mounted on a strong and fixed work surface could be a nice way to work on these heavy amps. Or remove the transformers and wire them back in when ready, seeing as they really only have a limited number of connection points, relatively.

Besides, I'd suspect they will be cleaned up and repainted?

Tube tests -- The First Batch

8417 tubes are very unique animals. They are a cavity anode design, producing basically the power of a 6550, with the sensitivity of a 7591. This results in the highest Gm of all traditional audio power tubes at 23000 micromhos (a measure of how grid voltage affects plate current)! This is over twice the sensitivity of even an EL34, and certainly twice that of the venerable 6550, or any of its KTXX offshoots. With that kind of sensitivity, and a 100K maximum grid #1 DC resistance, it can basically be driven to full power output by even a nearly dead 12AX7. But, with that kind of transconductance (micromho rating), circuit precautions must be taken when using this tube, or all manner of unacceptable social behavior will result. Bogen attended to that need very well.

For a fair representation of how well this amplifier can perform then right out of the box, good tubes of course, are a must. But the first order of business was to make an adapter to allow these tubes to operate properly in my power output (PO) tube tester. It is configured to accept all of the usual suspects in terms of conventional output tubes, and has pin adapters to accept 6BQ5 and 7591 class tubes, but because I really don't work with 8417s, it does not include the unique precautions necessary to keep these tubes stable under high current, large signal conditions. So, an adapter was made, stability was confirmed, and testing began. This was a hugely critical element of this project, as if the tubes weren't any good, then baseline testing would obviously go out the window, and we'd be starting from scratch.

Eight of the 16 tubes have been tested so far, and the results have been encouraging. In my tester, the average new power output (ANPO) of an 8417 tube is 42.68 watts. The English scale has tubes that can output 81% or more of ANPO as being GOOD. Tubes that output < 81%, but at least 64% of ANPO are considered as WEAK (?), while tubes that output < 64% of ANPO are considered as BAD.

The PO tester tests the device under test (DUT) under highly regulated conditions for plate, screen grid, control grid, and heater voltage, with the heater voltage accurately set for 6.30 vdc at the tube socket terminals. These voltages are all precisely maintained then under quiescent, and full power test conditions. The DUT is tested in Class AB1 mode of operation, using fixed bias.

The first step in testing each DUT is to record the negative control grid voltage required for each DUT to produce (in this case) a total quiescent current of 50 ma, with a screen grid and plate voltage of 400 vdc applied to the DUT. Of these, it is the screen grid voltage that is most important. Since the Bogen has only limited means of balancing the quiescent current of the output tube sets, starting with decently matched tube sets is a must. This portion of the testing is considered as a static test (a quiescent test), and will ensure that each tube will draw nearly the same current draw under quiescent conditions, as that of its mates.

The power output test is a dynamic test (signal applied), providing the truest indication of cathode condition in a vacuum tube. This test causes the DUT to conduct its maximum capable cathode current, which then has a direct correlation to power output capability. The test conditions are such that a new 8417 will in fact conduct its maximum rated cathode current, so that any deviation from that level by a DUT, along with the power output level produced, helps to ascertain the cathode's true condition. Power output is measured at the onset of clipping on a scope during the test.

Within the eight tubes tested, there was just over a 10% variation in negative control grid voltage readings, and for power output, the best tube produced 101.3% of ANPO, while the worst tube produced only 61.0% of ANPO -- and this was for less than one second before dropping quickly. The good news is that only this one tube of this set was bad. Of the other seven, the weakest tube still produced 94.5% of ANPO.

For tubes to be well matched, I like for tubes to have a collective difference of their negative control grid voltage AND their power output results to be within a total difference of no more than about 8%. Once all 16 tubes are tested, the best two matched quads will be developed using this information, to use in the amp for baseline testing.

Pics include:

1. The testing in progress. The DUT (in this case) plugs into the special adapter, which plugs into the tester. The adapter contains the necessary components to ensure stability of this high Gm tube under high current draw conditions. The panel meters monitor B+, heater voltage, and DUT current draw. The DVM shows the required negative control grid voltage, and peak output voltage developed by the DUT, as developed at the output of a peak voltage detector within the PO tester. This voltage is then used to calculate the power output produced by the tube.

2. Here is the best tube of the bunch, producing 101.3% of ANPO........

3. While this tube only produces 61.0% of ANPO, and only for a fraction of a second at that. Notice the lazy, flabby wave shape as compared to the strong, well defined power output display produced in #2 above. This is produced by the cathode collapsing under the current draw being required of it.

4. Here's the first eight candidates, all graded and documented. Can you spot the bad one? I'll give you a hint -- it's not number 7, because it was the best of the bunch.

5. It's this one (#2)! The one that still tests quite well in a respected B&K 747 Dynamic Gm tube tester! If this doesn't show the fallacy of testing power tubes in a transconductance (Gm) type tube tester, nothing will. Gm testing by definition is performed at very low signal levels, and as such is more of a test for characteristic in a power tube, than for capability. Still, such testing will allow you to determine if a given tube will heat up and conduct current in a circuit. But otherwise, it is a poor indicator as to the actual condition of a power tube.

Next up, the next eight tubes, and the driver tubes.

Dave

Attachments

• Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 006.jpg
    Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 006.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 306
  • Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 013.jpg
    Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 013.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 249
  • Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 003.jpg
    Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 003.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 270
  • Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 002.jpg
    Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 002.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 359
  • Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 005.jpg
    Bogen MO-200A -- Initial 005.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 286
DC, did you see the thread on "Baking" tubes? Do you think that might make any difference to the bad or weak tube at all?

So if you start with a closely matched quad of tubes... once matched, do they stay relatively matched over time, or as use and age takes effect, you may have to sub in another "matched" tube on occasion? Or if replacing 1 tube, is it usually necessary to replace an entire quad to assure matching again?

Basically do they age and lose effectiveness at the same rate over time? Or can a closely matched quad become grossly unmatched over time.

So if you start with a closely matched quad of tubes... once matched, do they stay relatively matched over time, or as use and age takes effect, you may have to sub in another "matched" tube on occasion? Or if replacing 1 tube, is it usually necessary to replace an entire quad to assure matching again?

Basically do they age and lose effectiveness at the same rate over time? Or can a closely matched quad become grossly unmatched over time.

All of the above. IME, it is useful and important to check the tubes periodically if you can, but using a good device like DG has makes it real world testing, not just for Gm as he mentioned.

Otherwise, check the bias and if you can measure the individual current draw, it would help.

Back
Top Bottom