The Mighty MC30s

Fire them up right now! I am very nervous that don't know how they sound (also against my modern MC75). This is my first vintage adventure!

I picked an album with heavy bass line, Sade, Lovers Rock. MC30 definitely not bass shy, full and authoritive but not quite chest pounding like MC75 or 200w SS amp, just enough to get music flowing in a vintage way, bass intergration is better with MC30

I picked an album with heavy bass line, Sade, Lovers Rock. MC30 definitely not bass shy, full and authoritive but not quite chest pounding like MC75 or 200w SS amp, just enough to get music flowing in a vintage way, bass intergration is better with MC30
I take the statement about bass partially back, MC30's bass does pound chest too. Because of MC30 have much less gain than MC75, I did not have my pre at proper level. With MC75, I ran out of bottom end, I mean I only had 4 or 5 click from silent to my normal listening level with the volume control.

Last edited:
I take the statement about bass partially back, MC30's bass does pound chest too. Because of MC30 have much less gain than MC75, I did not have my pre at proper level. With MC75, I ran out of bottom end, I mean I only had 4 or 5 click from silent with the volume control.

MC30's input rating at the RCA @ 0.5V with the GAIN set fully clockwise. This should provide more than enough gain for any preamplifier.

MC30's input rating at the RCA @ 0.5V with the GAIN set fully clockwise. This should provide more than enough gain for any preamplifier.
Thanks,

My pre with MC30 is at 15 clicks with trim ports wide open, I have total 32 clicks. The signal from my pre is strong enough to drive a pair of Fostex headphone straight out of RCA outputs.

Also very interested in his choices of caps. It seems to have evolved a bit. I notice the Mallory 150's and the Solen. Also see he's still a believer in CC resistors.

Also very interested in his choices of caps. It seems to have evolved a bit. I notice the Mallory 150's and the Solen. Also see he's still a believer in CC resistors.
He stated:

Entirely restored and rebuilt inside and outside.

Cosmetics:

Original chassis stripped, re-chromed, and re-printed.

Transformed bells painted, re-stickered

Bottom cover powder coated

New RCA jacks

New speaker barrier strips

Electronics: all old components replaced for lasting, reliable operation with:

– Mix of carbon comp, film, and wire wound resistors

– Sprague Atom and Authenticap electrolytics,

– Mix of paper in oil silver mica, polystyrene, and mylar coupling and bypass capacitors

– Four Goodall mylar axials measured excellent and were kept in (contrary to lore, they are not all good. Testing at nominal voltage (not with a hand-held 9-volt job) show leakage in the majority of the ones I have tested. not these…

Tubes are both tested and listened to.

Two Telefunken 12AX7

Two RCA long black plates 12AU7

Two RCA long black plates 12BH7

Two RCA long black plates 12AX7

Two RCA 5U4GB rectifiers

Power tubes – a tested & matched-for-current-draw-by-pair quad of RCA 6l6GC

Where can I get some 350B tubes for MC30?
In '95, I purchased two tube amplifiers from a campground for $100 - a Western Electric 124 and a McIntosh A120. Each was loaded with 350B outputs tubes. If only I still had 'em.

Good luck in your quest. It would appear those are pricey today.

In '95, I purchased two tube amplifiers from a campground for $100 - a Western Electric 124 and a McIntosh A120. Each was loaded with 350B outputs tubes. If only I still had 'em.

Good luck in your quest. It would appear those are pricey today.

The price of NOS stuffs has gone through the roof in pass 10 years! I am not sure I can keep up with trend......

If I use 350B or 350A (with adapter), is there anything going to burn up in MC30?

Nice thread lots of very nice MC-30 picks. Mac gear hard to find near me if found very high price most of time. I will keep looking

Where can I get some 350B tubes for MC30?

Why? You are currently running the best there is with NOS GE being pretty equal as well. They will last a loooong time in those amps.

Your quest for 350B's (Valve Art makes a nice one) might yield sonic improvement in those amps, but the current draw is higher in the 350B. @ 1.6A vs .9 for a 6L6GC. It would put some strain on the PT, not sure if it'd be too much.

There are some nice new issue tubes that sound glorious in these amps - Tung Sol 6L6G Coke Bottle & Tung Sol 6L6GC STR Black plates being two of the better examples. Though I have NOS RCA & GE stashes, I actually prefer the coke bottles in my MC30's. In my MC240's I love GE & RCA.

Back
Top Bottom