The Mordaunt-Short Owners Thread

Hi all, I'm presently refurbishing a pair of Mordaunt Short Signifers. They have had some modifications carried out to them. The X-Overs have been modified/ upgraded with higher quality components? unfortunately they sound very bright, which leads me to question whether correct values have been used. The X-overs have been hard wired and glued into bass of cabinet. Before attempting to strip out and check, I was wondering if anyone has details of X-over? Any info, component values, schematics would be very much appreciated.

Mordaunt-Short Pageant Series 2

I've owned many British speakers, including KEF, B&W, Celestion, Wharfedale, and ProAc. This is my first pair of Mordaunt-Short. They are sounding good with the Yamaha CA-810 and will be hooked up to the big Luxman R-1120a later. The grille impressions look worse in the picture than they do in person. Overall they're in very good shape.

As others have said, this brand seems to be harder to find in the US. Plenty of vintage KEF and B&W around here, but not many Mordaunt-Short, at least in my experience.

Does anyone know where the Pageant fell in the MS line? Evidently there was also a Carnival and Festival made at the same time. EDIT: I found the answer to my question online. The Pageant were above the Carnival and Festival in the pecking order. :thumbsup:

MS1.jpg MS2.jpg MS3.jpg MS4.jpg

Last edited:
My dad has just sent me a message asking me if he can take the old set of speakers that are in my old room (I moved out nearly a decade ago) to the tip, I almost said yes, then remembered they that are a set of pageant 2's so I have said absolutely do NOT throw them away, I'm bringing those bad boys home next time I'm there, as they sound great paired with my Hitachi sr101 of a similar vintage.

Anyone know what parts availability is like for these, as I blew a tweeter many years ago which was replaced with a random one I cannibalised out of something else.

Anyone know what parts availability is like for these

The internet and auction sites are your friends for parts. Put in a search for a part number, save it, and sit back and wait for the emails from eBay and pounce when the right item at the right price pops up.

I've had a couple of pairs of MS speakers over the last rwo years but they had been badly abused by previous owners.

I do own and use a really nice MS 5.1 surround speaker set - Avant Premiere or something I think its called. Never felt the need to change it to anything else :)

I have a MS subwoofer question. I recently found a matching Mordaunt Short 309W so that I now have stereo subs in my two channel system. Originally, I bought a Premiere surround system with the smaller 308 and then migrated it to the two channel system. The 309s are a worthy upgrade. But here is the problem. The MS subs are designed to turn off when the signal to them drops below a certain voltage. This works well in a surround system, but terribly in a two channel set up. MS recognized the problem and suggested a fix (by changing capacitors on the internal amp). My current issue is that the two 309's that I am using have different sensitivities and cut out at different signal levels. Ouch!

So, I wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this MS subwoofer issue and if they have done the capacitor replacement, if it worked.

Those are beautiful. I am fortunate to have two pairs of the Carnival 2's. They only go down to 80hz, but they are crystal clear. The woofers are identical to the ones used in the Festivals and the Pageants. They will not fill a large room, but they hold their own in a smaller space. For a short while, I used two Pageants for left/right, a Festival 2 for the center, and two Carnivals for surrounds. It was a pleasant combination. The Festival 2's may be my favorite of the three models, since they are acoustic suspension like the Carnivals, but are bit larger with dome teeters. The Pageants have awesome bass, since they are ported and have larger cabinets. But like the other two models, their clarity is excellent. I'm sure they all need new caps, but electronics is something I am not good at.

Here's a pic of my newly acquired Carnival 2's, I believe of 70's vintage, great sounding speakers,

XKDknu9.jpg

3ahTFAq.jpg

Cheers,

Kerrin

Went out and bought a pair of MS Festivals - the originals, not 2's or 3's. For speakers of this age, they are in a remarkably good condition - cloth grills, badges, teak veneered boxes... Not sure where the previous owner has kept them, but rubber surround drivers are still supple, tweeters are visually OK (one has dust cap pressed in). Will give them a test run on the weekend - something like Pink Floyd "Delicate Sound of Thunder" through my Pioneer SX-650 :)

I hope they won't disappoint...

Attachments

• MSF01.JPG
    MSF01.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 27
  • MSF02.JPG
    MSF02.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 28
  • MSF03.JPG
    MSF03.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 28
Nice. The aluminium dust cap is very delicate on those Peerless cone tweeters and apparently part of why the sound so good. I've been able to carefully reshape a dented one.

A Pageant Series 2 query.... one that I have struggled to confirm anywhere....

Is the original Isophon 25mm tweeter a KK7?

Oh, and if you happen to have one for sale.... please let me know!

A Pageant Series 2 query.... one that I have struggled to confirm anywhere....

Is the original Isophon 25mm tweeter a KK7?

Oh, and if you happen to have one for sale.... please let me know!

In answe to my own question.... the original is a KK10/8!

Is there anyone with knowledge of where a replacement might be sourced..... a drop-in for preference.... I have zero cabinetry or requiring skills!!

Attachments

• 816EED0A-88B3-4568-953F-69DB66B608B5.jpeg
    816EED0A-88B3-4568-953F-69DB66B608B5.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 19
Today it has dropped-in perfectly.... I suspect, now bringing the Pageant’s right up to original spec again!
Got to love those Pageants. They are the most "comfortable" speakers I own. I could listen to them all day.

My problem is that all my vintage Mordaunt Shorts do need or are going to need crossover work, and I am not competent (for many reasons) to do it myself.

I picked up a pair of MS35ti's that I love. Seem to be.in perfect shape. I haven't been into the game that long, but I can't see ever wanting to give these up.

Back
Top Bottom