The most aggressive sounding amplifier?

LordLunatic

I'm looking at options for a new amp, and wondering what the most aggressive sounding amp, new or used, at around 2000$ (give or take a thousand if need be). Needs to be at least 100 watts, preferably a fair bit more (2-400). I usually buy 2nd hand to get more for my pennies, but I'm open to all suggestions, so long as I can get them in Europe.

I'm generally just looking for something that hits as hard as possible, plenty of detail/clarity and a penchant for low frequencies...

I've looked at a lot of amps and articles, and all I've managed so far is get confused. I don't have much in the way of options to listen to gear before buying, which is a bit irritating.

krell ksa150/250
ML no 23
Threshold t400

most class A high current will give you that bottom end you desire while maintaining detail in midrange and highs

AVA fetvalve 600r. 300wpc. Tight bass. Extended high frequency with fast attack. That's going to fit your need. I doubt you will find any in Europe. It's well made and likely highly durable. Bryston is another
brand you should try. At least 4Bsst or squared. 7's will give even more head room but more $. Too bad you don't live in North America.

krell ksa150/250
ML no 23
Threshold t400

most class A high current will give you that bottom end you desire while maintaining detail in midrange and highs
My Pioneer M90 which as far as I can work out is AB does have the bottom end, but compared to a more modern, but much less powerful amp I have, (Thule IA100) its no where near as crisp nor hits as hard... It hits heavier, with more weight behind it, but not as hard, if that makes sense... A kick drum on the thule is like a gun-shot, a quick snap, very clearly defined and textured, but slightly hollow sounding somehow. The pioneer gives a better sense of the weight of sound, but is softer... I'm trying to find something that does both.

Cant say I've experienced that, but I use either Pioneer C90 or Questyle CMA800R as pre atm.

I concur with botrytis that preamps can have more influence than power amp on the end result of the overall sounds. Tube preamps even more so in my experience.

I concur with botrytis that preamps can have more influence than power amp on the end result of the overall sounds. Tube preamps even more so in my experience.
From my general experience with tubes, I can't stand them, but apart from that, it just seems odd then that the Questyle seems to do nothing for my Pioneer, considering its a very different sounding circuit than that of the pioneer. Where as the pioneer is generally a bit warm and polite at times, the Questyle is on the clinical and extremely resolving side of things, yet none of this comes through when used as pre for the M90.

krell ksa150/250
ML no 23
Threshold t400

There is a ML 23 pretty close to me, as well as a Nakamichi 7pa, my only worry is that older amps, which is what I've been able to find on them tend to confirm, will be polite/rounded/smooth sounding comparatively, much like the pioneer... I never noticed it really, till I heard the Thule (I suppose I though it was just the limit of what my speakers could manage), but now its just too obvious...

Bryston 4BSST. Capable, neutral, balanced and unbalanced, 20 year warranty but almost indestructible. Probably one of the best audio component companies still around.

Before even talking about the amp, I suggest you to read post #276 and scan quickly on any relevant stuffs. The speaker cable makes a day and night difference and my cable might be the doctor's order for you.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/effect-of-speaker-cable-on-thd.764633/page-14

That said, I own the Nakamichi PA-7, it's a good amp, almost the same as Nelson Pass famous Threshold S300 series. But there might be something strange with the Nakamichi with my cable as my cable has very high capacitance. I am still working on the cable to try to lower the capacitance.

It's good that you are willing to buy used equipments as you save a lot of money and get the same quality. I don't think there is much improvement in the new amps compare to the ones from the mid 80s. For the money you can get into ML, Threshold, Krell type of amps. Watch out Krell, they are class A and burn a lot of power if you use day in and day out. Not only that, you need air conditioning!!! I almost bought a Krell KSA250 until I found out it draws 11A at idle, burning 1300W sitting there. You need air conditioning on top of paying the big electric bill. It was I hard decision to give up the good price of $1850 for the KSA250 and settle with the Nakamichi PA-7. But I just cannot see wasting like $100 of electric bill a month as I use it a few hours a day.

what does 'aggressive sounding' mean? IMO, an amp with a few blown rectifier diodes might sound 'aggressive' but I fail to see how that would be useful

I don't know about aggressive but the McIntosh MC2300 has been referred to as the Dirty Harry of power amplifiers. I have a few and they certainly do not disappoint. Plus, they'll rock at any power level (up to clipped) for as long as you may like. I've had numerous BIG parties over the years with MC2300s providing the music.

In comparison to my PA-7, the MC2300 had a control over the woofers that provided floor shaking bass with my Altecs whereas with the PA-7 it was like I had a 40Hz high pass filter engaged.

Biggest bang for the buck on this side of the pond is Crown stuff.

Outside of them, there are other commercial amps that may be available to you.

The only reason I see people avoid commercial amps when looking for power is the connections.
It seems that people can only deal with banana plugs and RCA. When it comes to XLR or 1/4 inch and hard wire (screws), the interest drops like a rock.
Well, that and some commercial amps need a 50A circuit. 700wpc doesn't always come easy.

Commercial amplifiers are not always practical for domestic settings. For example, my MicroTech 2400 has a 20A plug and a continuously running fan. It's adjustable input settings can owerwhelm a novice as it was designed to offer a wide range of compatibility. The input adapters required are the least of it.

Sure, it's powerful but at 8 Ohms per channel not nearly as much so as at 2 Ohms per channel.

Commercial amplifiers are not always practical for domestic settings. For example, my MicroTech 2400 has a 20A plug and a continuously running fan. It's adjustable input settings can owerwhelm a novice as it was designed to offer a wide range of compatibility. The input adapters required are the least of it.

Sure, it's powerful but at 8 Ohms per channel not nearly as much so as at 2 Ohms per channel.

Sounds "aggressive" and that's the request from the OP.

:)

I don't know about aggressive but the McIntosh MC2300 has been referred to as the Dirty Harry of power amplifiers. I have a few and they certainly do not disappoint. Plus, they'll rock at any power level (up to clipped) for as long as you may like. I've had numerous BIG parties over the years with MC2300s providing the music.

In comparison to my PA-7, the MC2300 had a control over the woofers that provided floor shaking bass with my Altecs whereas with the PA-7 it was like I had a 40Hz high pass filter engaged.
There is a modification for the PA-7. Nelson Pass insisted in using a 10uF film cap in the feedback resistor network as AC ground. I just parallel that with a 220uF non polar electrolytic cap and it's all good. Very easy to mod. All it takes is to remove the top cover and get in.

I much prefer to use hifi amp for hifi and commercial amp for commercial. Those for disco, PA are quite different, they sound good at very high volume, but if you crank it down, they suck. I remember in the days of disco, they sounded so good when you crank it up, but one time we went there before the dancing started, they had the volume low and they really sounded suck. A good hifi are the ones that sounds good at lower volume, you don't have to crank it up.

One major problem with amps is crossover distortion. That's the distortion when the one of the push pull transistor turn off that create the distortion. Crossover distortion is volume independent. In another words, the amount of crossover distortion remains the same if you have the volume low or volume high. This means at low volume, the crossover distortion % is a lot higher compare to the music signal. At high volume, the % of crossover distortion is much lower as the signal is a lot higher. So amp can designed to optimize for high volume or low volume.....Of cause, if you are willing to pay a lot, you can get one that sounds good at low volume and at high volume. Just $$$$

Read some on my post about speaker cable and THD, I was surprised with the result, the sound is very in your face, aggressive with the new cable. Big difference.

Basically it's the series inductance you have to minimize in the speaker cable. Inductance serves as low pass filter and tame down the attack. After you minimize the inductance, the attack is a lot more obvious and everything sounds "closer" to me than before. It is very in your face.

Last edited:
You probably are going to want something with a big output stage and at least a triple darlington configuration with global NFB. The Krell, Levinson, Aragon, and Bryston usually fit that bill. I'd avoid the PA-7 based on your criteria. Note, older Krells and Levinsons will likely need work sooner rather than later.
You might look at the Classe CA-2X00 series as well. Not nearly as aggressive as the others mentioned, but the fully differential design makes for a more detailed/open sound with decent bass slam, IMO .

I'm looking at options for a new amp, and wondering what the most aggressive sounding amp, new or used, at around 2000$ (give or take a thousand if need be). Needs to be at least 100 watts, preferably a fair bit more (2-400). I usually buy 2nd hand to get more for my pennies, but I'm open to all suggestions, so long as I can get them in Europe.

I'm generally just looking for something that hits as hard as possible, plenty of detail/clarity and a penchant for low frequencies...

I've looked at a lot of amps and articles, and all I've managed so far is get confused. I don't have much in the way of options to listen to gear before buying, which is a bit irritating.

Transparency isn't hard to find. Follow the money. Just make sure it's not counterfeit :)

Back
Top Bottom