The most aggressive sounding amplifier?

The Krell will likely fulfill your bass desires (certainly relative to the Thule). I've had the non integrated Krell KAV-250a, and it has above average bass punch, although not quite as much as their big boys. I've had the Thule PA-250 as well, and I think you are in for a fairly large contrast of sounds. I regret letting go the Thule at times, but not the KAV-250a. I think my tastes are different from yours at this point in time.

BTW, if you get the Krell, check the DC offset and check the heatsink temps after warm-up. There's no servo, so the DC offset can often drift a bit over time. The bias might drift as well a bit, so if there is a big difference in HS temps, you might need to adjust one.

BTW, if you get the Krell, check the DC offset and check the heatsink temps after warm-up. There's no servo, so the DC offset can often drift a bit over time. The bias might drift as well a bit, so if there is a big difference in HS temps, you might need to adjust one.
The internal heatsinks? And sorry, but I have no clue how to check either...

I'd assume the two Thules are relatively similar in signature, and assuming the same for the krell, could you give a comparison through the spectrum? Even if brief? Because I'm heavily contemplating whether I should get the Krell, or just make a "direct" upgrade to a Thule IA350B...

Or if its better to still try to aim for those vincents which is also an option, though at the limit of my budget.

Last edited:
They are internal heatsinks. I'm just suggesting by feeling the vents verifying there's not a noticeable difference in temperature. One should be a bit warmer due to being next to the transformer.

Its been a long time since I had the Thule, but I remember it being a warmer, darker sounding unit. The Krells tend to be more forward and dynamic. The can also be a bright based on associated equipment and room, although leaving it on for an extended period helps a lot with those tendencies. If the caps are good, then I definitely think its going to give you what you want in the bass region.

If you can get the Krell for a safe amount (ie can resell it without taking a bath), its worth getting it to compare to the Thule. They close to opposite ends of the sonic spectrum for solid state gear, IMO.

They are internal heatsinks. I'm just suggesting by feeling the vents verifying there's not a noticeable difference in temperature. One should be a bit warmer due to being next to the transformer.

Its been a long time since I had the Thule, but I remember it being a warmer, darker sounding unit. The Krells tend to be more forward and dynamic. The can also be a bright based on associated equipment and room, although leaving it on for an extended period helps a lot with those tendencies. If the caps are good, then I definitely think its going to give you what you want in the bass region.

If you can get the Krell for a safe amount (ie can resell it without taking a bath), its worth getting it to compare to the Thule. They close to opposite ends of the sonic spectrum for solid state gear, IMO.

Thats sort of the worry - I have no frame of reference for the price of the Krell in the EU, what little I've seen suggests this is a relatively average price for one, but not certain...

Would you say the Krell is up to todays standards by the way? As mentioned earlier, I've looked at NAD M22 and Parasound 21a etc. which are more contemporary amps, but at a lower price bracket than the Krells original price, so far as I can tell...

I think the newer amps sound better in general. The Krell does do a lot of things well. I've not heard a really modern high-end NAD, but they generally are good all around performers. I haven't heard the A21, but I have heard the JC-1, and given a choice between the Krell and the Parasound, I'd probably take the Parasound. But again, the Krell might be what you looking for, as its going to be the more forward sounding amp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom