The need for 2 phono inputs - AMAZING RECORD COLLECTION FIND!

Homer4beer

Hi guys,

I stumbled upon the most incredible record collection yesterday while buying something else entirely different from the owner.

During buying the other item we got talking and he told me he was "De-cluttering" after carrying around his possessions from one place to another after many many years. He had a turntable sitting in his garage (a Technics SL-D202) which I noticed and commented on, to which he mentioned he had a guy coming around to look at some other hifi gear (Kenwood system) and he was selling it also.

I asked if he had any records, to which he answered yes, but he was selling his collection however he wanted to sell them all in one hit, to the one buyer, as he didn't want people rummaging through them looking for anything specific. He also tells me he worked as a professional DJ in the UK for many many years.

My curiosity well and truly piqued I asked if I may have a look, to which he responded, "well they are up in the loft and I haven't had much of a chance to go through them yet and work out how much I want for them. I think I'd want X dollars for it."

No problem, I understand if it's too much hassle I tell him.

A bit more chat and then he is leading me up the stairs to his loft where he shows me what he has. I'm completely blown away! The boxes are locked so he can't actually open them for me to look in to, but after what he's told me my mind is going crazy with imagination.

I tell him I'd love to buy it and would be thrilled to have the pleasure of working my way through it. I assure him it's for my own personal collection and not to be broken up and sold off. I am not a dealer.

So he is happy to contact me in a weeks time after he's gone though what he has, taken photos, and sent them to me. We chat a bit more about general stuff (he has some pretty cool stories of the days of DJ'ing) and I drive away, back to my home.

I get 10 mins away and the fear of somebody else buying the collection before me overcomes me! I pull over, call him, and tell him I am so excited about what I've seen I would LOVE to take the collection home with me today and sift through it this weekend.

He is hesitant and tells me he has to find the keys first. Give him 10 mins and he'll call back. I wait with baited breath on the side of the road, anxiously hoping like hell he finds them! As promised he calls me back, tells me he's found the keys but the collection is bigger than he remembered so the price will be more (not a whole lot more though!).

I agree, drive straight to the ATM, get the money out and drive straight back to his house where I find him lugging the boxes down for me to take home. I can barely fit them all in my car however the seller is AWESOME, and helps me pack it all in, telling me how just seeing them all again brings memories flooding back.

I drive away THE MOST IMMENSELY PROUD owner of an INCREDIBLE piece of history! I am absolutely THRILLED to have the opportunity to own it, relishing in sifting my way through the music of the last few decades.

I feel humble he chose to sell it to me, excited, like a kid at Christmas, at what I'm now the proud owner of.

I've randomly pulled some 45's and the vinyl is in amazing condition even if the sleeves are looking worse for age. His LP's, again the vinyl is in excellent condition, some sounding like new even after 50 years (the Beatles albums alone are near mint) but some of the covers are showing their age. Years of storage in an attic will do that I suppose (signs of silverfish damage to the paper and cardboard on a very small few of them).

The collection of 7" singles numbers at a guess around 1300-1400, maybe more. They are already categorized into music styles, years, genres etc. He has plenty of 12" 45 rpm singles as well to go with the LP's in two other boxes.

Haing played quite a few singles I now can appreciate the need for two phono inputs and two turntables! You need to be cuing up the other turntable with another song while enjoying the one currently playing. When the song finishes, swap phono inputs, play the other single and repeat!

I have no idea on the value of this collection (maybe you guys can help me out?) but I suppose I had better insure it?

Here are pics.

I hope you enjoy this story as much as I did telling you all :)

o1wiFw.jpg

YBHYyf.jpg

woaVGp.jpg

QnXUX9.jpg

mXXlO9.jpg

gqfCZa.jpg

1OVJJS.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm still in awe I tell you! I'm currently picking singles, giving them a quick wipe with a damp cloth and giving them a spin :)

That's my arvo!

Your story is so ME--I have over 3600 albums in my collection, and I tend to buy "lots" like that--you never know what you will find and it is a great adventure. :thumbsup: Sure, you end up with dupes and stuff that you don't want, but for the money, what do you expect? I've never been burned on a deal like that--there is always something in there worth twice the purchase price.

Really Nice Man, I could see an afternoon, evening or two enjoying my favorite adult beverage and having some fun with that !

Amazing story and find.

I'm curious . ..why do you want 2 phono inputs? Or is that a joke I'm missing? You can only listen to one record at a time. So am I missing something?

Looks like a really cool buy, kudos to you indeed!

2 thoughts ... (don't let your spouse see this!)
So, you never need to buy another record, ever, right ;)

And about 2 phono inputs - don't most DJs actually use a MIXER as the input to their power amps,
so they can segue between different records/different tracks or even partially mix them simultaneously for special results?

I know at our college radio station we'd have multiple studios (booths) live on air on Satday night parties and have 3, 4,
or even more turntables playing together and sequing things in and out of the mix!

Hi guys,

I stumbled upon the most incredible record collection yesterday while buying something else entirely different from the owner.

That’s exactly the way to get the treasure.
You don’t catch fish if you don’t go fishing.
Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom