The nerve of some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to stay out of this nasty shit show but.......I believe at this time of the year sending them back seems to be the proper thing to do. They're only cd's without the cases which to me are pretty much worthless but to her obviously they means a lot.

I rent a storage unit locally and in the same building is a church. I was at my unit yesterday and the pastor was giving away cookies, pies and sweets that were one day over their date. When she asked if I'd like some freebies I said no but I'd like to made a donation for some. She gladly accepted and I gladly went home with some expired sweets. The Jackson that I gave meant very little to me but it brought a smile of appreciation to the pastor's face as it did the less fortunate people helping her. The same thing applies here I believe. There are people out there that are a LOT less fortunate than us here at AK. Making a stink over some worthless (to most of us here) cd's to me is just plain wrong.

FINALY--the voice of reason!!!

I too have been watching and keeping my mouth shut, but this thread is kind of like a train wreck--you just gotta look and wait and see what happens. Collectively, all of US have consumed more bandwidth expense debating this issue than the value of the CDs AND the shipping cost to return them--how pathetic is that?--especially at this time of the year?

So the OP bought a dead receiver and a bunch of other misc goodies for $10--I spend more than that on coffee and cigarettes every day, so if "scoring" some worthless (IMO) CDs as part of the deal is that important to the OP, they need to quit shopping for used audio gear and keep that tenner in their pocket. The CDs obviously are somewhat important to the previous owner (otherwise she wouldn't have asked for them back), so I'd return them, but that's just me.

I can see being upset over buying something advertised as working and it's not, but trying to beat someone up over ten bucks and hold a few used CDs as "hostages" is ridiculous IMO--especially if you didn't bother to test it at time of purchase--but again, for ten bucks, who really cares?

I have already wasted more than ten dollars of my time composing and posting this thought, so to the OP--skip Starbucks today, go to the Post Office and take the higher ground.

FINALY--the voice of reason!!!

I too have been watching and keeping my mouth shut, but this thread is kind of like a train wreck--you just gotta look and wait and see what happens. Collectively, all of US have consumed more bandwidth expense debating this issue than the value of the CDs AND the shipping cost to return them--how pathetic is that?--especially at this time of the year?

So the OP bought a dead receiver and a bunch of other misc goodies for $10--I spend more than that on coffee and cigarettes every day, so if "scoring" some worthless (IMO) CDs as part of the deal is that important to the OP, they need to quit shopping for used audio gear and keep that tenner in their pocket. The CDs obviously are somewhat important to the previous owner (otherwise she wouldn't have asked for them back), so I'd return them, but that's just me.

I can see being upset over buying something advertised as working and it's not, but trying to beat someone up over ten bucks and hold a few used CDs as "hostages" is ridiculous IMO--especially if you didn't bother to test it at time of purchase--but again, for ten bucks, who really cares?

I have already wasted more than ten dollars of my time composing and posting this thought, so to the OP--skip Starbucks today, go to the Post Office and take the higher ground.

Not everyone here wastes money at Starbucks, and some of us quit smoking, when a pack of cigs were $0.75. As for time, it is a long weekend, and I am spending it in the mountains. I can afford the time for this good discussion. :cool:

It makes no diff what the OP stated the ad said. I bet the ad did not mention every nick and scratch, but yet they were there, and the unit was being sold, "as-is". That included the CDs left in the unit. And I bet the ad said it worked as well.

I too, have lots of time.

Nope, the ad didn't say it all worked, that was the OPs changing story in post #4.

Clearly the sale didn't include the CDs because she aked for them to be returned.

Did she ask for the receiver? No.
The CD player? Nope.
The cables? Uh-uh.
The wires? Negative.

Only the CDs, because they were never intended as part of the deal; just as they are not listed in the ad.

Nope, the ad didn't say it all worked, that was the OPs changing story in post #4.

Well I just assumed he started the thread off with a reader's digest version of the events.

Clearly the sale didn't include the CDs because she aked for them to be returned.

Did she ask for the receiver? No.
The CD player? Nope.
The cables? Uh-uh.
The wires? Negative.

Only the CDs, because they were never intended as part of the deal; just as they are not listed in the ad.

Whether they were listed in the ad is irrelevant. Being sold as-is in this case, meant being sold with some CDs, and unmentioned dents and scratches.

If she really cared about the CDs, she should have taken better care of them, like check the unit before offering it for sale.

Nope. As-is is the terms of warranty, not a content description.

You are being too literal. In used cars/equipment it speaks to condition and content. If the used car you bought contains any loose change, it is yours. So are the unnamed dents and semen stains In the back seat.

it still amazes me how much time some people have on their hands around here. I skimmed through about 3 pages of posts. Same old crap. I think the name should change to arguekarma.

You are being too literal. In used cars/equipment it speaks to condition and content. If the used car you bought contains any loose change, it is yours. So are the unnamed dents and semen stains In the back seat.

I contend you're being too liberal with "as-is". In this context clearly it is intended in the sense of warranty disclaimer.

As-is is a legal term used to disclaim some implied warranties for an item being sold.

it still amazes me how much time some people have on their hands around here. I skimmed through about 3 pages of posts. Same old crap. I think the name should change to arguekarma.

I don't necessarily disagree. It's hard to stop a train and a gawkers slowdown is almost inevitable.

Last edited:
Every point has been made multiple times, and people are mostly posting about each other, so that will do it for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom