The New Dynaudio Special 40 Model

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by botrytis, Sep 5, 2017.

1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.

2. runnin'

runnin' Super Member

Looks like they'll retail for $3000, so they're not for the faint of heart.
  3. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

That is really a nothing price in the realm of modern speakers.
  4. SpicySammich

SpicySammich Active Member

7" driver going down to 41hz. Nice.
  5. chrisr2020

chrisr2020 New Member

Charlotte NC
    Too bad I can't have them. I fall in the category of the dads with kids going to college....
    stish and KDAC like this.
  6. Ditto. Freshman year.
  7. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

SCS, MI (near a lake)
    ...and the same, here. And I think I have to replace a transmission in said freshman's car. *sigh*

@botrytis I would think one of the AXPONA exhibitors should have these on hand, at least to get a rough idea of what it might sound like.
    KDAC likes this.
  8. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

Española NM
    Hmm, first-order crossovers. Interesting.

Would love to hear them.
  9. outfaced

outfaced New Member

As a matter of fact i exchanged the LS50 for the special 40 :) Its an upgrade in every aspect of the sound. Not so much of design point of view ...
    I very like the KEF approuch to sound, but the next bookshelf option after LS50 is the Reference 1, and that was a little bit to much of a $$$ for me. ATC SCM 19 was tooo powerhungry, and don't go so low (the special 40 are indeed 40Hz). Didn't like so much the offers in this category from focal and B&W. So ... got the special 40 :)
    I can make a comparison with the LS50 but that is not exactly fair given the price tag. Still, even special 40 is better in every way must say ... LS50 is hell of a good speaker for the money.

Please register to disable this ad.

10. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

Colorado - North of Denver
    Heard them at RMAF back in October 2017. Sounded very good ... I liked them.
  11. mcdan

mcdan Well-Known Member

North of Detroit
    I’ve had them in the house for about a month now. They sound great right out of the box and just keep getting better as they break in. Very articulate with great sound stage and depth. Easy to drive. I’ve tried them with 45 watt class A KT-120 amplifiers, 25 watt class A KT-88’s and even the Poddwatt 5 watter! Fabulous small speaker.
  12. Vintage999

Vintage999 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Special 40 is not going to sound like a KEF. The 1st order crossover in the 40 assures that. Not having heard the 40, but having some experience with those same drivers and a similar crossover in the Silverline SR 17, 2-way bookshelves, the 40s should be superb (as are the Silverlines).

Good listening...