The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

I'm not into this music genre but that could be a Molly Hatchet album cover. ;) Frank Frazetta I believe did their covers or at least it was his art on most of them.
It certainly has that Frazetta vibe with the mounted warrior.
Ya might want to check out some of the albums that you see here if you haven't already. This isn't the typical interpretation of heavy metal. Far from it actually.

Saxon - Wheels of Steel

aGoFb6t.jpg
This is the Saxon album that I need to add to the collection. I've got three of the early ones, but I need this one.

Great info and very balanced opinion - I like your style :)

My fave Magnum effort would be ' On a storytellers night' which, to me, plays like a greatest hits album.

Gun would be best known for 'Taking On The World' and 'Better Days'. Thunder were best known for 'Back Street Symphony' and 'Love Walked In'

Also - no mention of the great Whitesnake or did I miss that :)
Thank you. And thanks for your contributions thus far.
So Magnum's "On A Story Tellers Night" will be first my on my list for exploration tomorrow then.

We will certainly see Whitesnake eventually, but in all honesty, they were a borderline hair metal band in my opinion.
>>there, the first controversial statement on my new thread and it was me who made it. LOL<<
(we come in peace, all opinions are welcome)

I would almost put Def Lep in the borderline hair metal myself but I like them too much to besmirch them so :)
Well, they eventually went that direction when MTV started playing their videos. Were they a Poison or Motley Crue? Never. But I never really liked anything other than their first two albums which were NWOBHM masterpieces.
For me, when they fired Pete Willis, they went commercial and lost their integrity, albeit they were still a great band.

Look at this ancient pic of my room circa 1982. Def Leppard was well represented amongst the other NWOBHM bands.
And no, that's not Molly Hatchett posters, just Frank Frazetta artwork.
Cheesy paneling and a black light complete the scene. LOL.
img167.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having a second run through with @heavyrock's contribution, Gaskin, a band that I was vaguely familiar with via an 8 disc NWOBHM compilation. Gaskin had one song on the entire 8 discs. That's how deep that set goes.

Actually not listening to the Gaskin compilation that Heavyrock posted but rather the debut album that he said was required listening.
It really is required listening! The album really sums up what the NWOBHM was about better than anything Iron Maiden ever did. (and I'm a huge Maiden fan)
The Gaskin debut album really catches the enthusiasm of the movement. Basic hard rock songs with ramped up driving guitars, massive drum rolls, rich bass lines, abounding tempo changes at every turn and a singer who is proud to sound British and doesn't try to hide it.

Gaskin - End Of The World
1981 Rondelet Music and Records

https://www.discogs.com/Gaskin-End-Of-The-World/master/547142
R-2747539-1340528672-1901.jpeg.jpg

Based on your posts i'm a bit surprised you never heard this before! Anyway never too late, glad you like it. I had the pleasure of being involved in an interview with Paul Gaskin for an underground 'zine about 20 years ago. Nicer guy you could not imagine.

Based on your posts i'm a bit surprised you never heard this before! Anyway never too late, glad you like it. I had the pleasure of being involved in an interview with Paul Gaskin for an underground 'zine about 20 years ago. Nicer guy you could not imagine.
LOL, well like I said, there is a ton of NWOBHM bands that I've never heard and even more that I've never even heard of. We were limited to what we learned in the magazines and what our friends were buying and listening to. Funds were limited at that age and you certainly couldn't afford to experiment with unknown bands to your hearts content.
The reason for this thread is to celebrate the music and to learn more about the genre. Keep on educating. :thumbsup:

I know what I know and I know it well, but there is an awful lot that I don't know. :rflmao:

LOL, well like I said, there is a ton of NWOBHM bands that I've never heard and even more that I've never even heard of. We were limited to what we learned in the magazines and what our friends were buying and listening to. Funds were limited at that age and you certainly couldn't afford to experiment with unknown bands to your hearts content.
The reason for this thread is to celebrate the music and to learn more about the genre. Keep on educating. :thumbsup:

I know what I know and I know it well, but there is an awful lot that I don't know. :rflmao:

I did say never too late :) I picked the lp up in the used bins circa 1991-1992 for not much. Plenty I do not know too. And will never know most likely, the well is deep.

We will certainly see Whitesnake eventually, but in all honesty, they were a borderline hair metal band in my opinion.
>>there, the first controversial statement on my new thread and it was me who made it. LOL<<
(we come in peace, all opinions are welcome)

They only became borderline hair metal with the release of 1987 onwards.

Pretty much everything else that went before was blues driven rock/hard rock, when Coverdale could actually sing and hold a tune!

I don't have much NWOBHM, but what I have I'll certainly post in here.

They only became borderline hair metal with the release of 1987 onwards.

Pretty much everything else that went before was blues driven rock/hard rock, when Coverdale could actually sing and hold a tune!

I don't have much NWOBHM, but what I have I'll certainly post in here.
Thanks TB and welcome to the thread. Your contributions are always epic on the Metal Thread. I look forward to seeing what "little" you have.

Back
Top Bottom