The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

Angel Witch's last recording before going through a drastic lineup change, and a change that left most fans and critics cold.
Here Dave Dufort is in the drums slot, he being the brother of Girlschool's Denise Dufort.. Other than that, the classic lineup of Kevin Heybourne on guitar and vocals with Kevin "Skid" Riddles on bass is intact.

This is one of those 45's with the die-cut lettering on the label that allows the vinyl to peek through. Really a classy look. I've only got a couple or three like that.
Look close at the picture on the back sleeve. Someone has been finger writing in the dirt and grime on the back of the bus.

Angel Witch
Loser c/w Suffer & Dr. Phibes 7" 45rpm
1981 Bronze BRO 121

https://www.discogs.com/Angel-Witch-Loser/master/1039182
005.jpg

004.jpg

R-2845833-1319301705.jpeg.jpg

R-2845833-1319301709.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! I first heard them on the radio I think while still in junior high school, so probably 1985, massive influence. I was gutted when a few years back they came through my town but did not know about it, somehow (but there are extenuating circumstances)....

I know, I know, and the truth of the matter is that over the course of 30+ years of vinyl "hunting" I'd seen the debut and the second LPs many, many times but never grabbed a copy. Like I said in an earlier post @ this thread, w/ the exception of Motorhead (and maybe Priest?), whom I failed to "connect" to the greater genre, the NWOBHM was a huge blindspot in my vinyl collecting activities of the 70s-90s. I'm "flush" re: early and intermediate era Black/Death and Thrash, but re: NWOBHM material there exists in my collection a (very) large gap. That gap is being filled, slowly, w/ digitalized versions of these materials, but the original, tangible "vinyl" elements will never be filled. Unless I can come up w/ a scheme to "clone" the collections of heavyrock and Delmarva, I must consider these titles, in the vinyl format, as being gone with the wind. Thank heavens for vinyl rips!

WOW! I first heard them on the radio I think while still in junior high school, so probably 1985, massive influence.

As did I, in both Urbana ('85-'88), then in Chicago, on a weakly-signaled FM program (perhaps operating from one of myriad local college/university radio stations?) called Roadrunner Radio. I recall distinctly Roadrunner Radio spinin' tons of Thrash & Speed, which I loved and which is why I made certain to collect everything available up to that point ever released by Metallica, Slayer, Megadeath, Anthrax, and a few others in those genres, then also a helluva (ahow appropriate a term) lot of Black/Death Metal -- early Bathory, Darkthrone, etc.-- but the NWOBHMers managed to slip past me (read: I ****ed up and allowed them to slip past me).

Spinning a ROIO by those NWOBHM pioneers...

Motörhead
Maple Leaf Gardens
Toronto, Canada
12 May 1982

While I remained -- and am still -- a loyal subject of Motörhead throughout their long career, I sure missed the days when they were comprised of Lemmy, Eddie, and Phil.

I know, I know, and the truth of the matter is that over the course of 30+ years of vinyl "hunting" I'd seen the debut and the second LPs many, many times but never grabbed a copy. Like I said in an earlier post @ this thread, w/ the exception of Motorhead (and maybe Priest?), whom I failed to "connect" to the greater genre, the NWOBHM was a huge blindspot in my vinyl collecting activities of the 70s-90s. I'm "flush" re: early and intermediate era Black/Death and Thrash, but re: NWOBHM material there exists in my collection a (very) large gap. That gap is being filled, slowly, w/ digitalized versions of these materials, but the original, tangible "vinyl" elements will never be filled. Unless I can come up w/ a scheme to "clone" the collections of heavyrock and Delmarva, I must consider these titles, in the vinyl format, as being gone with the wind. Thank heavens for vinyl rips!
The expense of putting together a NWOBHM collection today, even one as meager as mine would be massive. Heavy Rock's would cost the accumulated wealth of Western Europe.
What you are collecting is the next best thing because you're doing it the right way.

The expense of putting together a NWOBHM collection today, even one as meager as mine would be massive. Heavy Rock's would cost the accumulated wealth of Western Europe.
What you are collecting is the next best thing because you're doing it the right way.

Doin' it the only way I can, but it's still a bit of a thrill to "get" this material even digitized. Sure, I don't have "a record to hold", but the sound is all there, and if it happens to be a good vinyl rip, well then so much the better. :music:

Scroes can be had though on ebay if you keep your nose to the ground. As with anything postage can be a big issue from overseas anymore. But nice items for not big $$ do show up.

Scroes can be had though on ebay if you keep your nose to the ground. As with anything postage can be a big issue from overseas anymore. But nice items for not big $$ do show up.
Very true. A couple of days ago I found a first press of the debut Angel Witch album for $26.99 and $4.00 shipping. It appeared to be in very good shape. German pressing so slightly less desirable perhaps but still a first press Bronze record.
It sold yesterday so somebody agreed with me.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Here's a band that has no ties to the U.K., but I feel that they were very heavily influenced by the NWOBHM.
The guitarist, Marty Friedman is no stranger to any fan of 80's metal, having been Megadeth's guitarist during their prime years.

The music is on the rowdy power party side of the NWOBHM style as opposed to the thrashy speed progressive side.

Hawaii - The Natives Are Restless
1985 Axe Killer Records 7018 French Pressing

https://www.discogs.com/Hawaii-The-Natives-Are-Restless/master/241389
021.jpg

011.jpg

Here's a band that has no ties to the U.K., but I feel that they were very heavily influenced by the NWOBHM.
The guitarist, Marty Friedman is no stranger to any fan of 80's metal, having been Megadeth's guitarist during their prime years.

The music is on the rowdy power party side of the NWOBHM style as opposed to the thrashy speed progressive side.

Hawaii - The Natives Are Restless
1985 Axe Killer Records 7018 French Pressing

https://www.discogs.com/Hawaii-The-Natives-Are-Restless/master/241389
021.jpg

011.jpg

Something else for me to check into.

Seeking the opinions of the Metal-erati, particularly those among you who've been steeped in "things NWOBHM" since the dawn of that genre.

This morning I found a lossless (vinyl rip) copy of the album below:

Angel Witch
Frontal Assault
(Killerwatt, UK, 1986)

cover.jpg

I grabbed it, but not before reading the reviews -- all 2 of them -- @ the website Encyclopaedia Metallum (Metal Archives). While the overall "rating" of the LP is 65%, the opinions expressed by the (2) respective reviewers re: this LP could not have been more divided: one loves it, one hates it.

While I myself won't be able to get around to hearing it for myself until later this afternoon (in about 2-3 hours from now), I am curious to read/learn y'all's opinions regarding this particular piece of the Angel Witch discography and, for that matter, your opinion of the "reviews" one finds @ such websites as Encyclopaedia Metallum.

I've got a lot of thoughts about Frontal Assault.
Been saving that one as my NWOBHM collection is rather small and I need to post it with restraint.

Thougts comng shortly.

Last edited:
I've got a lot of thoughts about Frontal Assault.
Been saving that obe as my NWOBHM is small and I need to post it with restraint.

Thougts comng shortly.

Thanks D. As for my own assessment, I've just started it up:

Angel Witch
Frontal Assault
(Killerwatt, UK, 1986)

* Vinyl rip

I'll share my impressions of it w/ y'all as well.

I don't have enough time right now to give full thought on 1986's Frontal Assault as family stuff is about to happen, and it's difficult to look at the album without first addressing it's predecessor, 1985's "Screamin' N' Bleedin'".
The two albums are linked so strongly that I'm gonna have to take them on in their proper chronological order. Forgive me for that. I think @heavyrock would agree with me on that.

Plus, I need to do some refresher research on that period of Kevin Heybourne's career. I want to get it right.

...it's difficult to look at the album without first addressing it's predecessor, 1985's "Screamin' N' Bleedin'". The two albums are linked so strongly that I'm gonna have to take them on in their proper chronological order. Forgive me for that. I think @heavyrock would agree with me on that.

That makes sense to me, D. I look forward to reading your impressions/reviews of both LPs in their chronological order.

I don't have enough time right now to give full thought on 1986's Frontal Assault as family stuff is about to happen, and it's difficult to look at the album without first addressing it's predecessor, 1985's "Screamin' N' Bleedin'".
The two albums are linked so strongly that I'm gonna have to take them on in their proper chronological order. Forgive me for that. I think @heavyrock would agree with me on that.

Plus, I need to do some refresher research on that period of Kevin Heybourne's career. I want to get it right.

Re: my listening to the '86 LP, I'll get into a detailed review later but I gotta say I damn near jumped outta my skin @ "Something Wrong". What a number!

I barely remember these later 80's Angel Witch albums. I only have Frontal Assault of the 2 now since I remember giving away or trading away both of them but then rebuying Frontal for $4 later just because...I suggest giving the 2012 reunion album "As Above, So Below" a listen. This sounds like vintage Angel Witch we know and love.

Back
Top Bottom