The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

Alright then. As I said in the "Angel Witch - Loser" post, things were going to change dramatically for Angel Witch.
Problems with Bronze Records caused them to only release the one debut album and two 7" 45's.
Steve Harris of Iron Maiden said that Angel Witch probably never made it big due to poor management. Well, their manager was Kevin Heybourne's father, Ken Heybourne. He had run into problems with EMI before the band got the Bronze deal. Diamond Head had the same management problems as singer Sean Harris's mother was their manager, and she dropped the ball enough on them to ensure that they didn't get a record contract until late in the NWOBHM party. I think having your parents for your bands manager is perhaps a bad idea.
Things got so bad between Angel Witch and Bronze Records that bassist Kevin Riddles quit and the band dissolved shortly thereafter. Riddles went on to found Tytan while Heybourne worked in Deep Machine and Blind Fury.

The emerging thrash and speed metal scene in the US saw bands like Metallica, Slayer and Exodus citing Angel Witch as being a major influence on their music. Interest in the band was revived and Heybourne put together a new Angel Witch. This time he brought in a singer to handle the job that he had handled himself as AW's lead vocalist and guitarist. That singer, Dave Tattum was certainly a more talented vocalist than Heybourne with an almost operatic style. Perhaps Heybourne was trying to emulate Iron Maiden's success with Bruce Dickinson. The lineup was rounded out with ex-Marquis De Sade bassist Peter Gordelier and original drummer Dave Hogg on drums.

I remember finding the album in the racks of my favorite record store back in '85 and being ecstatic to see a new Angel Witch album. With no internet back then you didn't know when things were being released unless you managed to snag the right copy of Kerrang magazine. First thing first the album cover set me off. It just wasn't Angel Witch to me. it looked like most of the other cheesy shock effect stuff that metal bands were doing at the time. Angel Witch's debut album featured this beautiful 19th century painting by John Martin entitled "The Fallen Angels Entering Pandemonium" from the book Paradise Lost. The 45's featured ancient Baphomet drawings and tarot cards. Not cheesy shock art.
N05435_10.jpg

(click the pic to enlarge - look closely. Do you see Iron Maiden's "Number Of The Beast? I do)

Flipping the album over revealed that there was a dedicated singer in the band, once again WTF? Of course I bought the album anyways.

When I played it I was very disappointed. This wasn't the Angel Witch that I knew. The songs were far more melodic, the singer sounded like an opera wannabe and the production just sounded off. I was expecting a continuation of the debut album but
got something entirely different.

Kevin Heybourne himself has said that Screamin' N' Bleedin' and it's follow-up release Frontal Assault were terrible mistakes. The fans were put off and the critics panned it.

Still, I played it again and again. It grew on me. I started to like the singer's dark operatic style, the songs were making sense. Over the years it has really grown on me and I realize that had it been Angel Witch's debut album I'd have probably liked it straight away. Lets face it. Angel Witch's debut album set the bar so high that nothing could have stood up to it. Some of the songs are among my favorites from the NWOBHM. "Waltz The Dark" is pure doom metal. The title track is a classic NWOBHM galloping number. "Reawakening" is a fine bit of thrash metal. There's one truly weak track on the album, the ballad "Goodbye" and even it ain't bad.

Definitely this album and Frontal Assault are overlooked and forgotten gems of the movement and should be in every NWOBHM collection.

Angel Witch - Screamin' N' Bleedin'
1985 Killerwatt KILP 4001

https://www.discogs.com/Angel-Witch-Screamin-N-Bleedin/master/91982
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited:
NICE!!! White vinyl edition. Very cool.

I was late out the gate and didn't even realize that the album was released until three years ago.
I've got the CD instead.
004.jpg
I bought the boxset version with the bonus 7" too not long ago for less than what a regular version cost, (these color vinyl versions bore me) on closeout during one of my High Roller Records orders.

I realize that had it been Angel Witch's debut album I'd have probably liked it straight away. Lets face it. Angel Witch's debut album set the bar so high that nothing could have stood up to it.
Boom, you nailed it!

Anyway great mid era AW writeup. I had utterly forgotten about the "parental management" of both AW and DH

I bought the boxset version with the bonus 7" too not long ago for less than what a regular version cost, (these color vinyl versions bore me) on closeout during one of my High Roller Records orders.
I still like to see colored vinyl, especially when it's vintage because it was rather scarce back then. It's kind of cliché today.
Would have loved to bought the box set, but I never found it on the cheap.

Though I might post something a bit obscure, the Welsh hardrocker Crys "Rhyfelwr" from 1981 on the Sain label, sung in Welsh. Better than I remember. Not an lp you are likely to just find out in the wild due to this pretty spectacular cover. Track one side 2 is pretty jamming but not on the tube.

IMG_1294.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG

Last edited:
Decided to give the sequel a spin. 1982. While the cover of a broken window is a bit bland, musically this one jams just a bit harder, worthier of a deeper listen than the first album.
They have a 7" from before both lps, which I have never heard, but I thing it might be on youtube.IMG_1295.JPGIMG_1296.JPG

That's some wild stuff with the Welsh lyrics.
Every once In a while I feel like I'm hearing English and then it's indecipherable again

This would be great for @KevinJS's foreign language music thread.

Last edited:
That's some wild stuff with the Welsh lyrics.
Every once In a while I feel like I'm hearing English and the it indecipherable again

This would be great for @KevinJS's foreign language music thread.

Certainly would. Thanks, Frank. Here's the link.

World Music

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....e-you-listening-to-right-now-and-more.853830/

Welsh is one of the world's oldest languages and is related to Cornish, Manx, Scottish and Irish Gaelic. You may think you are hearing English occasionally, because you probably are. Welsh doesn't attempt to manufacture new words for new concepts. It just grabs the English word and uses that.

I knew you'd be the man to provide the answer. The singer's accent is quite thick and a lot of the words meant nothing to me, and then right in the middle of the mix I'd hear English and the next moment it was gone.

Thanks for the link. I believe I've got a couple contributions that I can make

Last edited:
I think having your parents for your bands manager is perhaps a bad idea.

A circumstance that simultaneously helped the career, but most likely hurt the life, of one Michael Jackson.

OTOH, it did not seem to hinder or boost the career prospects of The Shaggs.

The fortunes and failures of The Beach Boys falling somewhere in between that of the aforementioned "acts".

Lucked out and found a super-nice vinyl rip (Neat, Holland, 1986) of this gem, am hearing Side A now, will likely play through to end of Side B tonight, then play the whole durned thing again, in its entirety, tomorrow:

1 Cover.jpg
4 Side A.jpg
5 Side B.jpg

I've really enjoyed what I've heard thus far.

Here's a band that has no ties to the U.K., but I feel that they were very heavily influenced by the NWOBHM.
The guitarist, Marty Friedman is no stranger to any fan of 80's metal, having been Megadeth's guitarist during their prime years.

The music is on the rowdy power party side of the NWOBHM style as opposed to the thrashy speed progressive side.

Hawaii - The Natives Are Restless
1985 Axe Killer Records 7018 French Pressing

https://www.discogs.com/Hawaii-The-Natives-Are-Restless/master/241389
021.jpg

011.jpg

Yup, Cool stuff.
IMG_4322.JPG

Back
Top Bottom