The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

I'm taking your quote and running w/ it. Now playing:

Motörhead
No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
(Bronze, 1981)
It would be great to see a show of hands here on the question.
I for one vote in favor of Motörhead being classified as a NWOBHM band.

They say, "Oh, Motörhead and Judas Priest were around before 1978 so they can't be NWOBHM."
Cripes, somebody had to kick it into gear.
Iron Maiden was formed in '75, Diamond Head in '76, Saxon and Def Leppard in '77.

Well I ceertainly know a lot about HYKs, though not pre se his collection of such, and am intrigued by whatever KE has to do with this... Do tell!

P.S. I need to sign off the boards soon, but please "ping" me via a notification so that i can enjoy reading "the story" tomorrow!

-M
Will do. I'll tell it later on and ping you.

Actually, it's pretty quick.
Lemmy was a roadie for Emerson's pre ELP band The Nice. He saw Emerson doing his trademark pinning down the keys of his Hammond with steak knives. Lemmy went into his gear and handed Emerson a pair of Hitler Youth knives and said something to the effect of, "Look, if you're going to do something like that, at least do it with a pair of proper knives"

Last edited:
Classic Metal from 1987
Grim Reaper - Rock You To Hell
View attachment 1354878
Thanks for the contribution @ItGos211. I've only seen the first two Grim Reaper albums so this is great.
Don't be a stranger here. I'm sure you've got plenty of NWOBHM in your collection.

I've got a nice autographed flexi-disc from Grim Reaper's See You In Hell tour. Very classy of a band to carry flexi-discs around on tour and sign them backstage.
I didn't have a backstage pass, but my buddy Dave always had backstage passes for everything, so he got the sigs.
004.jpg

005.jpg

Thanks for the contribution @ItGos211. I've only seen the first two Grim Reaper albums so this is great.
Don't be a stranger here. I'm sure you've got plenty of NWOBHM in your collection.

I've got a nice autographed flexi-disc from Grim Reaper's See You In Hell tour. Very classy of a band to carry flexi-discs around on tour and sign them backstage.
I didn't have a backstage pass, but my buddy Dave always had backstage passes for everything, so he got the sigs.
004.jpg

005.jpg
Cheers! Nice thread man!

Zoot, thanks for joining us here. Your contributions will be great. (and already have been tonight)
I know all of this could have been said and posted at the Metal Thread, but I think that the NWOBHM s special and unique enough that it deserved it's own place on AK.

Here's an old pic of my copy, sans nasty label.
002.jpg

Not sure I'll be able to keep up with either you or heavyrock in this category. :bowdown: I definitely have a few goodies in the collection, but you both have set the bar high!:beerchug: Some pretty rare stuff and awesome to see.:thumbsup:

Well, they eventually went that direction when MTV started playing their videos. Were they a Poison or Motley Crue? Never. But I never really liked anything other than their first two albums which were NWOBHM masterpieces.
For me, when they fired Pete Willis, they went commercial and lost their integrity, albeit they were still a great band.

Look at this ancient pic of my room circa 1982. Def Leppard was well represented amongst the other NWOBHM bands.
And no, that's not Molly Hatchett posters, just Frank Frazetta artwork.
Cheesy paneling and a black light complete the scene. LOL.
img167.jpg
Love the black and white Raven poster!
...Oh ya, Frazetta is cool to. Death Dealer, YA!

Since Zoot brought up the debut Satan album.
It was an album that should have been released at least a year earlier, but got caught up in record label red tape. Finally Neat was able to release it in 1983, but by then the wave had broken and Satan was just another of a gazillion NWOBHM bands flooding the market. The album should have been considered ground breaking but instead it was barely noticed. Brian Ross, the vocalist of Satan, and of Blitzkrieg as well left Satan and joined Lone Wolf along with Dave Johnson on guitar, Dave Allan on bass and Steve Hutchinson on drums. Lone Wolf had released a 7" single in 1982 with somebody else on vocals. Somebody who wasn't the great Brian Ross.

With Brian Ross, Lone Wolf released just this one 12" EP and nothing else. The music is more straight forward NWOBHM and not the complicated, multi dimensional efforts that Satan and Blitzkrieg did and still do to this very day.
Brian was simply lending his voice to Dave Johnson's songs. No doubt that without Brian they wouldn't have gotten this deal with Neat Records.

Love the imagery on the cover. Brain Ross back to back with himself, dressed in all black and all white and sitting at a chessboard with alternately colored chess pieces.

Lone Wolf - Nobody's Move
1984 Neat Records NEAT 44 12" 45rpm

https://www.discogs.com/Lone-Wolf-Nobodys-Move/release/2284709
007.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom