The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

That list made me pull this favorite.
Epic NWOBHM / DOOM METAL here. The title track starts out very Sabbathy with a Laguna Sunriseish acoustic guitar opening to a crushing guitar riff. Brilliant lyrics about the Cold War Soviet Union threat of nuclear war.

Witchfinder General - Soviet Invasion c/w Rabies & R.I.P. (live) 12" 45rpm E.P.
1982 Heavy Metal Records 12 HMR 1
https://www.discogs.com/Witchfinder-General-Soviet-Invasion/release/1531904
002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Looks pretty cool to me!

Another gem from the UK, just look at that lineup! Have it on vinyl too but I'm busy at the moment doing 2 things at once so this will work. Satan always hits the right spot but Battleaxe reminds me I have not listened to their album lately, need to do something about that. There are some not so exciting tracks on this one but that is forgotten by the qualityof the othertracks
index.php
Several bands I've never heard of.
That CD commands a healthy amount of cash on the secondhand market.

Another gem from the UK, just look at that lineup! Have it on vinyl too but I'm busy at the moment doing 2 things at once so this will work. Satan always hits the right spot but Battleaxe reminds me I have not listened to their album lately, need to do something about that. There are some not so exciting tracks on this one but that is forgotten by the qualityof the othertracks
View attachment 1402468
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Roxcalibur/release/4804990

A mighty -- literally -- nice compilation!

Very nice, Tony.
That's a great collection. I really need to pick it up. I have the bulk of the material already, but dubious copies of a fait amount of it.

This review at Amazon sums the box set and the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal up very well.

Although it's roots and influences would stretch much farther, the bands that are loosely bound together under the banner the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (or NWOBHM), flourished across the UK between 1979 and 1985. Spearheaded by the likes of Diamond Head, Saxon and the Tygers Of Pan Tang, as this set illustrates, this underground scene was fertile and highly influential, producing many future rock legends. By the end of the 1970s, the original triumvirate of hard rock heroes Zeppelin, Purple and Sabbath had either graduated to the arenas of the world, or even split up, whilst the second wave of British heavy rockers, including UFO, Motörhead and Judas Priest, were beginning to fill theatres across the land. Punk exploded in 1976 and 1977, and the DIY ethos that sprang up in it's wake soon influenced the grassroots metal bands who had yet to leave their local bars and clubs. Often independently released, some of the bands in this set never made more than one now highly prized and collectable 45 or one-off EP. Championed in Sounds music paper as leading lights of the NWOBHM scene, this 3CD set kicks off with Diamond Head, one of the first bands to actually release a full album, albeit in a plain white sleeve. Their influence would be far reaching, and Metallica would cover no less than four tracks from this LP, including 'The Prince', featured here, as part of their "Garage Inc. " covers album. Metallica would also cover NWOBHM band Blitzkrieg, represented on this collection by 'A Time Of Changes'. A major champion of the groundswell of new HM bands was the north east of England's Neat Records, an independent label that brought us music from hugely influential acts such as Venom, Fist, Raven, Warfare, Jaguar, Aragorn, Avenger, Bitches Sin and Tysondog, among many others. It wasn't all about the boys, mind, as the all-girl Girlschool are represented by their debut single 'Take It All Away', and fellow London all-girl trio Rock Goddess feature with a track from their self-titled major label debut for A&M, 'The Love Lingers Still'. Before Bruce Dickinson joined Maiden in 1981 he fronted London heavy rockers Samson, featuring Paul Samson on lead guitar, and represented here with the single 'Vice Versa'. Samson had previously featured Iron Maiden's Clive Burr, a drummer who would later play with the band Elixir. White Spirit's 'Midnight Chaser' features none other than future Iron Maiden axe slinger Janick Gers. Although the NWOBHM scene was typified by the long hair, jeans, leather jackets and bullets-belts of Angel Witch ('Loser'), glam rock influences were also prevalent, no less so than with Silverwing and Tokyo Blade as well as London's Girl, featuring future Leppard member Phil Collen. This set was compiled in conjunction with NWOBHM authority John Tucker, who also wrote the informative liner notes.

Where was this LP @ my life during the 80s!?!? The tone of the rhythm guitar is righteous.

Blade Runner
Hunted
(Ebony, UK, 1984)

*Vinly rip
index.php
I have always loved Ebony records, it was an early goal of mine to collect everything on this label. I see you are starting to understand this :) I never managed getting them all but got close. Some of the comps at the very end are a bitch to get ahold of.

All,

As I continue to wend my way through NWOBHM material and my own deep collection of Thrash and Doom), I am finding it increasingly difficult to spin anything but .... Metal.

Is an intervention in order? LOL
Indeed for me as well @Mystic . Group therapy maybe??
My Blues, Prog, Rock, Folk, Jazz listening has taken a real shit kickin' in the past few months!!! All in the name of.....:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Outstanding!

I was never much of a 45 collector but you guys have just killed it in this thread with boatloads of them.
I just wish I'd have bought more back when they were easily and cheaply available.

I've two copies of Bloodlust. The one on the right got damaged somehow. There's a chip knocked out of the edge of the vinyl that almost makes it to the lead groove. Since they were just three dollars I bought a second copy.
In hindsight I wish I'd have done that with everything. :rflmao:
010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom