The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

Howdy Tony.
Actually, Watchtower was discussed on the WAYLTRN&M thread starting on the page linked here.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...-now-and-more.278564/page-18818#post-12459771
They were a San Antonio, TX prog metal band in the manner of Fates Warning, Dream Theater and Queensryche.
Watchtower's singer, Jason McMaster gained a bit of fame fronting Dangerous Toys.

Oh Ok, Sorry for messing up your thread, I didn't mean to derail it. I have been on so many threads and have gotten so many (used) new to me CDs I lose track. Sorry brother.

...and a song from that DVD I think (which is fantastic BTW) that obviously has audio overdubbed. Great song that needs to be released.

Man. Those guys worked hard at their stage show.Usually it's a bunch of guys doing their own thing, but Paralex was almost choreographed. They worked the hell out of a stage not much bigger than a sheet of plywood. :rflmao:
It kind of reminded me of watching Steve Earle & The Del McCourey bluegrass band when they performed old school with six players sharing one microphone. One false move and everybody is going down in a heap.

Last edited:
Oh Ok, Sorry for messing up your thread, I didn't mean to derail it. I have been on so many threads and have gotten so many (used) new to me CDs I lose track. Sorry brother.
All good Tony. We go off course here just like every other thread. Sometimes we discuss bands that were influenced by the NWOBHM movement, and Watchtower would certainly qualify as one of those bands.

I mean, my last post is a good example of going off topic. Bluegrass ain't no part of NWOBHM. :rflmao:

But hey man, you got that CD quick!!!
I listened to it on Spoitfy. Sounded like something that I'd need to hear a few times to get a grasp on what they were doing.

All good Tony. We go off course here just like every other thread. Sometimes we discuss bands that were influenced by the NWOBHM movement, and Watchtower would certainly qualify as one of those bands.

I mean, my last post is a good example of going off topic. Bluegrass ain't no part of NWOBHM. :rflmao:

But hey man, you got that CD quick!!!
I listened to it on Spoitfy. Sounded like something that I'd need to hear a few times to get a grasp on what they were doing.

It Reminds me of old steeler with Yngwie on guitar. I like the singer I thought I recognized his voice but could not put it together. Thanks for filling me in.
My next up is Time to suck recommended by @heavyrock.

This is my 5th and final 'feature' on the East Midlands Co-op, featuring the mighty Hell. Though actually Hell really were not a part of this Co-op since they came after, I have to hook them in here due to the mighty lungs of Dave Halliday (RIP) from Race Against Time. Hell came about after the demise of RAT. They were a very intense and powerful, theatrical metal band that existed from 1982-1986. Their sound is simply unique, the only way to get a measure of the quality is to delve into its depths. Originally they only released a 7" (later bootlegged, which is what I have) and a lot of demo recordings that were only ever available via tape trading. That is only until 2011, when the killer " Human Remains" triple lp and cd was released. This 3lp set is fairly unique in that 1/2 the material is all great sounding vintage rarities (sending shivers down my spine as I type this) and new recordings of vintage material with Mr. Halliday's brother on vocals. Track down " Human Remains" you will not regret it.

FYI there is a lot of live Hell stuff on youtube, the modern incarnation. Sample it at your own risk. I'll stick listening to the vintage recordings, thank you!

IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1525.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG
IMG_1524.JPG

Last edited:
This is my 5th and final 'feature' on the East Midlands Co-op, featuring the minghty Hell. Though actually Hell really were not a part of this Co-op since they came after, I have to hook them in here due to the mighty lungs of Dave Halliday (RIP) from Race Against Time. Hell came about after the demise of RAT. They were a very intense and powerful, theatrical metal band that existed from 1982-1986. Their sound is simply unique, the only way to get a measure of the quality is to delve into its depths. Originally they only released a 7" (later bootlegged, which is what I have) and a lot of demo recordings that were only ever available via tape trading. That is only until 2011, when the killer " Human Remains" triple lp and cd was released. This 3lp set is fairly unique in that 1/2 the material is all great sounding vintage rarities (sending shivers down my spine as I type this) and new recordings of vintage material with Mr. Halliday's brother on vocals. Track down " Human Remains" you will not regret it.

FYI there is a lot of live Hell stuff on youtube, the modern incarnation. Sample it at your own risk. I'll stick listening to the vintage recordings, thank you!

index.php

index.php

index.php
I was wondering where another installment in the East Midlands Co-Op story would come from. I'd read that it was a four band organization.
There's a lot to digest here. Outstanding post as usual.

I was wondering where another installment in the East Midlands Co-Op story would come from. I'd read that it was a four band organization.
There's a lot to digest here. Outstanding post as usual.
I saved the best for last. Not sure if the co-op continued with Hell but definately a connection there.

Another on the Neat label, and another band from Newcastle, England. Tysondog released this, their first single in 1983.
They had formed the year before under the name Orchist.
For a first effort this single has a lot of polish, swagger and confidence. Well constructed songs of classic NWOBHM.
They went on to release a couple of albums, another 7" and a 12" EP before disbanding 1986.

Venom's Cronos produced this 45 showing the man had skills behind the board. I believe he can be heard at the beginning of Dead Meat shouting some Venomy nursery rhyme vocals.
It's a Neat Records silver label. I think those are the prettiest ones when you hold them in your hands and they catch the light and reflect.

Tysondog - Eat The Rich c/w Dead Meat
1983 Neat Records NEAT 33

https://www.discogs.com/Tysondog-Eat-The-Rich/master/691449
009.jpg

010.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly.

here is one of the demo tracks:

and their third demo according to the commentator:

and a song from that DVD I think (which is fantastic BTW) that obviously has audio overdubbed. Great song that needs to be released.

Finally giving a listen to the two demo's.
Holy jeez, Dogfight just blisters the paint on my walls.
Gettin' Somewhere is a really rough recording, but it shows great structure in it's writing. Everything you want in NWOBHM is in that song... oh wow, just found out that it's a 21 minute demo tape. Cool!!!! I'm gonna be here a while. NWOBHM bliss.

Back
Top Bottom