The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

:bowdown:
Never seen the 7" before. Very nice!!!
Do you have the 12" as well? One extra song.

013.jpg

012.jpg

004.jpg
IMG_1833.JPG
Oh yeah I have the 12" too!

If anything I like the 'Smokin' Valves' EP even more than the 'Heavy Metal Mania' EP, I think I bought it first and have listened to it a lot more often. Total energy here too of course, just relentless.
IMG_1834.JPG
IMG_1835.JPG

6 days ago I posted about the Lyadrive cd from the 90's that is frankly superior stuff. Well today I took this record off the shelf, been far too long since I listened to it. It is all vintage recordings from '82-83 as per the title. Of course this material is even better than the rerecorded stuff. I had forgotten how much this record just plain smokes, though some material is obviously demo quality.
IMG_1836.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG

Last edited:
They did a great job with the CD. Really kept it true to the original vinyl.
The 2nd disc is all video?
Yeah I snagged that when I saw it in the bin at a local record shop, surprised to see it there.
No, it is the audio from the video on a cd. Which I prefer. A DVD would have been nice too. I do have the show on a dubbed vhs.

If anything I like the 'Smokin' Valves' EP even more than the 'Heavy Metal Mania' EP, I think I bought it first and have listened to it a lot more often. Total energy here too of course, just relentless.
index.php
I've often regretted not buying Smokin' Valves when it was new. Don't know how many times I actually saw it, but I'm sure I could have found it. My buddy Mike had it and I made a cassette of it but the cassette is long gone.

Speaking of great NWOBHM singles. I don't believe I've posted this one yet. I know I've posted the LP.
Bruce Dickinson era Samson.

Samson - Hard Times b/w Angel With A Machine Gun
1980 Gem GEMS 38

006.jpg
011.jpg

009.jpg

The last record (3 track EP, 1982) with the original vocalist but missing John Mortimer. Great record, good energy, but in hindsight and paying attention, it is possible to detect the change in quality.
IMG_1846.JPG
IMG_1847.JPG

Um, this Hologram record really is an ok aor/melodic rock record but it certainly sounds like it has nothing at all to do with Holocaust. I must have picked it up cheap because I knew it would only be for the gap in the collection and not much more.
IMG_1848.JPG

This is the first Holocaust record I ever found, in 1991, prior to that I had only heard one song as a Metallica remake (unknowingly initially) and "Death or Glory". I thought this lp sucked. Once I had all the 80's material and knew that this was the lp after the breakup, I could assess it on its own merits or faults. Production is raw but now I quite like it. Since it is almost a one man band thing, Mortimer on all instruments with a new drummer, in all honesty he should have continued on as a different name, well anyway he didn't.
IMG_1849.JPG

I'm constantly being reminded what High Roller Records has done to unearth and to getNWoBHM records in print. This is their second Lyadrive anthology of demo session material. Tasty stuff, I barely remember listening to this album until now. Big mistake in not listening to it more often.
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG

By this time 5 years since the last "Holocaust" lp it isn't really possible to recognise this band as anything relating to the original sound. Here we have more of a demo sound heavily influenced by Voivod. I still like it but I prefer to think of it as Mortimer & Co.
IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1855.JPG

Back
Top Bottom