The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

Here we jump 7 years to 1996 for another album, this time a cd only release. I no definately put them into their own unique style, but it really is not NWoBHM anymore. Mortimer & Co. rerecord 3 old Holocaust numbers, probably to let folks know that yes We are capitalizing on the old legacy.
IMG_1858.JPG

This is the first Holocaust record I ever found, in 1991, prior to that I had only heard one song as a Metallica remake (unknowingly initially) and "Death or Glory". I thought this lp sucked. Once I had all the 80's material and knew that this was the lp after the breakup, I could assess it on its own merits or faults. Production is raw but now I quite like it. Since it is almost a one man band thing, Mortimer on all instruments with a new drummer, in all honesty he should have continued on as a different name, well anyway he didn't.
View attachment 1460229
No Man's Land was my final Holocaust record. Your review was the first one I've ever read about it.
Like you, I thought "This Sucks" when I first heard it. It has grown on me over the years but it's still not a go to album by any stretch.
The album cover lacks band credits. Now I know why!!! I thought Gary Lettice was just sounding funny on this and trying to sound different. LOL.
Gonna give it a listen tonight with a new perspective. Thanks for that.

Obviously I saw Holocaust in 2000 and got these signatures. Great time. This is the last cd I bought from Mr. Mortimer. It is better than "Spirits Fly", musically a bit back to the Voivod vein of "The Sound of Souls". Also it is a concept album of the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever book series. It was an ok listen but I cannot remember the last time I heard it and I might not listen to it again. I had forgotten I even owned the cd.

IMG_1859.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG

No Man's Land was my final Holocaust record. Your review was the first one I've ever read about it.
Like you, I thought "This Sucks" when I first heard it. It has grown on me over the years but it's still not a go to album by any stretch.
The album cover lacks band credits. Now I know why!!! I thought Gary Lettice was just sounding funny on this and trying to sound different. LOL.
Gonna give it a listen tonight with a new perspective. Thanks for that.
Look at that large graphic/sigil that fills the back cover and is on the front too in a different form. Then look at the little graphic in the credits next to Mortimer. I guess that is the hint that it is his album entirely. I never figured that out until today after reading he played vox/guitar & bass.

Look at that large graphic that fills the back cover. Then look at the little graphic in the credits next to Mortimer. I guess that is the hint that it is his album entirely.
Yes, I saw that when I pulled the album earlier. I had the same thought that it had some sort of cryptic meaning perhaps about the makeup of the " band" as it were.

Gotta say from your reviews that Mortimer certainly has tried to keep growing as an artist and refuses to get stuck in a rut. He is to be commended for that.

Playing "No Mans Land" now.
I still kinda think Mortimer sounds a little like Gary Lettice. Neither of them was much of a singer in reality, but it didn't stop them, and I like that.

We'd be remiss if we didn't note that Phoenix Record & Filmworks was a label founded by Holocaust.
Vocalist Gary Lettice worked at a record shop in Edinburgh, Scotland named Phoenix Records, owned by John Mayer who co-produced this with John Mortimer.
018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

017.jpg

Here's a pic of the Phoenix Record Shop in Edinburgh. No idea why it says Luckenbooth. I guess that's the present proprietor in the space.
pheonix.JPG

Some vintage shop bags.
phoenixbagfromharry.jpg

PHOENIX1.JPG

PHOENIX2.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure if I've posted this or the other album from this lineup. Oh well, i'm playing this one regardless.
Kevin Heybourne got a lot of flack for this version of Angel Witch. Too melodic people said. I think the two albums are brilliant. This is the second and last album featuring Dave Tattum on lead vocals. After this Heybourne went back to handling the vocals as well as guitar.
It's not the all out bludgeoning of the instant classic debut album. It's got melodies, it's got harmony's. It's still got the signature dark riffing, but there's more room to breath.

Angel Witch - Frontal Assault
1986 Killerwatt Records KILP 4003
004.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

Here's a band that I never really thought of as NWOBHM, The album always sounded like a punkier version of Motorhead, and truth be told I've never listened to it very much as I didn't think much of it when it was released.

I like it a lot now, and I see that they make a lot of the long lists of NWOBHM bands, so here goes.

Jim Lyttle, the founder, vocalist and guitar player was born in Northern Ireland and was rooted in punk rock. He moved to London in the late '70's with hopes of assembling a punk influenced band that incorporated the heavy metal resurgence of the time. He formed Rogue Male in 1983. They released this, their debut album in 1985 and a follow-up album called "Animal Man" in 1986. A couple of singles were also released for the albums.

In reading ex A-II-Z guitarist Gary Owens story, I found out that Gary, during his time living in London was briefly a member of Rogue Male. He tried out for the lead guitar slot, hit it off great with Jim Lyttle and subsequently joined the band.
This was shortly after Gary had ended his time with London's Tytan in 1982..
Here's Gary's story about his time in Rogue Male.

" I was looking to get into a new band that had a chance of getting somewhere, i had heard about a band called Rogue Male i met Jim Lyttle at his house and talked about the opportunity, went along to rehearsals, i liked the band they were like a heavy Thin Lizzy back then.

I joined the band and started rehearsals, it went well and we were sounding good, legendary Derek Nicol who was Nazareths manager among many others came to see us and was looking at signing us with a view to going over to the States.

One night after rehearsals we went for a few drinks and decided to have a Kebab after, while in the kebab shop some football thugs came in and stated jibing us about our long hair, the kebab shop owner intervened and we left and got in the car, all of a sudden Jim jumped out of the car and ran at the guys that had been jibing us he laid in to them, it ended up that they were fighting with scaffolding poles.

Jim got very badly hurt and that was the end of the band and USA jaunt, i eventually had to go to Southwark crown court and give evidence against the guys involved. I was drunk and don't remember all the details, but it was a sickner for me and i decided that i was going back to Manchester. "

I would have liked to heard what Rogue Male would have sounded like with Gary Owens on lead guitar. No doubt it would have been a somewhat more melodic sound and certainly a bit more NWOBHM sounding.

Rogue Male - First Visit
1985 Elektra 60423-1

040.jpg

(the back cover features one of the oddest cut-outs I've ever seen - they just sliced a parallelogram into the printed layer of cardboard)
041.jpg

009-2.jpg

rogue-male-band-31e2ed34-5b4c-46dc-b80d-0bb3df48098-resize-750.jpeg

Considering I bought this new back in the very early 80's it shows a lot of sleeve wear. That's the price you pay when your first in alphabetical order I guess. The vinyl is still excellent though and it has seen a lot of platter time over the years.
It's just about as NWOBHM as it gets in my eyes. Recorded in 1979 in their former high school's gym at Hazel Grove High in Bramhall, England. Pure raw youthful energy.

A-II-Z - The Witch Of Berkeley
1980 Polydor 2383 587

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

aiiz_news_4.jpg

aiiz_news_2.jpg
aiiz_news_1.jpg

Last edited:
Dervish anthology from 2001 is a top shelf collection. If you have never heard their material, you are are going to be in for a real treat. Start to finish this album is just classic sounds from this era and remain timeless. I've posted only one link to the first song but surely the whole thing is up on the tube.
Strong stuff there. Song really builds throughout the three minutes.
(Hard to believe that was only three minutes)

A few weeks ago I attempted to outline the complicated web of Brian Ross's various bands and the directions they went with and without him.
After Brian left Satan and joined Lone Wolf, the guys in Satan found a new singer in Lou Taylor who had been with Angel Witch's Kevin Heybourne and Dave Hogg along with bassist Pete Gordelier in a band called Blind Fury. Heybourne, Gordelier and Hogg left Blind Fury to reform Angel Witch and left Lou Taylor with Blind Fury and no band. Along comes all the guys from Satan and a new version of Blind Fury records this album, a true gem of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.
The music and style is not as dark and foreboding as Satan were, but it's still highly virtuostic, complicated and mind blowing. They were trending toward Iron Maiden in songwriting style with a foreshadowing of progressive metal. Lou Taylor possessed a tremendous set of pipes. His style is on that operatic level achieved by Bruce Dickinson.

Blind Fury ~ Out Of Reach
1985 Roadrunner Records RR 9814

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Strong stuff there. Song really builds throughout the three minutes.
(Hard to believe that was only three minutes)
I hope you take the time to listen to the rest of the material. My only criticism is the logo on the front, does not look authentic. Logo on the back cover does.

A few weeks ago I attempted to outline the complicated web of Brian Ross's various bands and the directions they went with and without him.
After Brian left Satan and joined Lone Wolf, the guys in Satan found a new singer in Lou Taylor who had been with Angel Witch's Kevin Heybourne and Dave Hogg along with bassist Pete Gordelier in a band called Blind Fury. Heybourne, Gordelier and Hogg left Blind Fury to reform Angel Witch and left Lou Taylor with Blind Fury and no band. Along comes all the guys from Satan and a new version of Blind Fury records this album, a true gem of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.
The music and style is not as dark and foreboding as Satan were, but it's still highly virtuostic, complicated and mind blowing. They were trending toward Iron Maiden in songwriting style with a foreshadowing of progressive metal. Lou Taylor possessed a tremendous set of pipes. His style is on that operatic level achieved by Bruce Dickinson.

Blind Fury ~ Out Of Reach
1985 Roadrunner Records RR 9814

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg
For as many records I do have, I do not have this one...

Long gone were Bruce Dickinson and drummer Thunderstick by 1984. Replaced by Nicky Moore and Pete Jupp.
The sound went in a decidedly heavy blues rock direction and was losing all vestiges of the NWOBHM.on this.
They did a pretty smokin' cover of ZZ Top's "La Grange" on this.

Samson - Are You Ready 12" 45rpm EP.
1984 Polydor POSPX 670

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom