The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

ELIXIR
Another band that I'm only familiar with through the NWOBHM 9 Volume collection that you posted. (How did you find that BTW)
Just listened to their song Treachery on Volume 6 as a matter of fact. Very impressive. Has everything we want in a NWOBHM song.
Looking forward to seeing that vinyl some day. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Switching over to listen to the full Elixir album on youtube. Thanks for the link!
Wow, was this 52 minutes in it's original release?
Strange. Last night I didn't see the sales stats. It has indeed been sold on Discogs.
5 copies have sold. Last Sold: 14 Sep 2018 Lowest:$63.28 Median:$63.29 Highest:$69.62

I won't be buying that anytime soon. :rflmao:

By stats I meant many collectors (like myself) do not have their collection on discogs but have this Scarab single.

Elixir cd has bonus tracks. The really cool vinyl reissue is 2lp with even more bonus goodies.

I'm sure I just bought those compilation cds from mailorder distros back in the 90's when they came out. I think one of mine is a cd-r From a friend since I never found the original.

Gotcha. I've only recently started cataloging my stuff at Discogs. I can well imagine that there are far more copies in the world than the 30 that are cataloged there.

the Scarab CD is moving to the top of my want list. That song Poltergeist is really under my skin.

NWOBHM Vol 1-9... I can't find Vol. 9 on YT or anywhere else. I may have to hit you up for a digital hook-up someday. Do you do Drop Box?
That series has become a go-to set for me. Really like the raw nature of the transcriptions.

Any self respecting NWOBHM fan knows that Bruce Dickinson was in a band called Samson before Iron Maiden. Clive Burr, Maiden's first drummer was also a former member of Samson

Bruce did two albums with them under the name of Bruce, Bruce derived from a Monty Python skit where all these Australian guys were named Bruce.
They even made out his paychecks to Bruce, Bruce.

This is the picture disc version of the one single for their second album, Shock Tactics

Samson - Riding With The Angels / Little Big Man
1981 GEM/RCA RC67 7" 45rpm

https://www.discogs.com/Samson-Riding-With-The-Angels/master/434877

002.jpg

003.jpg

A-647867-1428191579-5901.jpeg.jpg

index.php

Delmarva made reference to an 8 disc compilation, as far as I know it is 9 discs.
I was never happy with the "album covers" that I was able to download for these. Too blurry. So I started creating my own with images of the 45's used on each CD. Only have two albums completed so far, and I'm not sure if I like the results.
Capture.jpg

Not sure why Vol 2 looks so much bigger.
addtext-com-MTM1-Mj-E5-MTQy-MTA.jpg

IMG_1059.JPG

Lead Weight 1981.

http://thecorroseum.org/comps/leadweight.html

For me the 2nd most influential metal compilation in my life and it makes sense, it is an all-star lineup of bands starting with Raven. When I read down the track list I realize there is not a weak moment on this comp. white Spirit, Venom, Axe (Fist basically), blitzkrieg, Aragorn, Fist again, Axis, Bitches Sin, Warrior, then ending on a babg with the fantastic Satan's Empire.

Why the "double vision" you might ask? Well I managed to upgrade my copy years back and put the copy on the left, the original one I purchased in the 80's, in a sale box. When I was going through that box one day I said **** that, and put it back in the collection. The cover is a bit more worn and the vinyl is just a little more crackly from so many plays, but I have to keep it since it marks a beginning.

Last edited:
NWOBHM Vol 1-9... I can't find Vol. 9 on YT or anywhere else. I may have to hit you up for a digital hook-up someday. Do you do Drop Box?
That series has become a go-to set for me. Really like the raw nature of the transcriptions.

Sure use my dropbox to share constantly, send me a pm.

Last edited:
Did your copy of Rock Until You Drop have the poster?

In the lower right of that pic was a post Bruce Dickinson era Samson poster just barely in frame.
No it did not have the poster nor the lyric sleeve. My pressing is the silver hand/silver text pressing. I do believe that the only pressing with both was the yellow hand/yellow text?

It would be great to see a show of hands here on the question.
I for one vote in favor of Motörhead being classified as a NWOBHM band.

They say, "Oh, Motörhead and Judas Priest were around before 1978 so they can't be NWOBHM."
Cripes, somebody had to kick it into gear.
Iron Maiden was formed in '75, Diamond Head in '76, Saxon and Def Leppard in '77.
Saying Motorhead isn't NWOBHM would be like saying Jimi Hendrix never did acid!:confused:

No it did not have the poster nor the lyric sleeve. My pressing is the silver hand/silver text pressing. I do believe that the only pressing with both was the yellow hand/yellow text?
I'll take a look at mine in a little bit when I get back in the room.

View attachment 1355936

Lead Weight 1981.

http://thecorroseum.org/comps/leadweight.html

For me the 2nd most influential metal compilation in my life and it makes sense, it is an all-star lineup of bands starting with Raven. When I read down the track list I realize there is not a weak moment on this comp. white Spirit, Venom, Axe (Fist basically), blitzkrieg, Aragorn, Fist again, Axis, Bitches Sin, Warrior, then ending on a babg with the fantastic Satan's Empire.

Why the "double vision" you might ask? Well I managed to upgrade my copy years back and put the copy on the left, the original one I purchased in the 80's, in a sale box. When I was going through that box one day I said **** that, and put it back in the collection. The cover is a bit more worn and the vinyl is just a little more crackly from so many plays, but I have to keep it since it marks a beginning.
I've got a similar compilation with several of those bands. I'll make it my next post here.

Zoot, you were 100% correct about the yellow hand label having the lyric sheet and poster. I even found a long forgotten perforated sheet that was to come apart in four sections. A backstage pass to any concert, a t-shirt offer, a fan club application and a mini version of the poster. Whether the yellow hand label was the only one to contain all that I do not know.
010.jpg

009.jpg

I've got a similar compilation with several of those bands. I'll make it my next post here.
I was wrong, it only has a few of those bands. This compilation predates yours by at least a few months as it was released in 1980. Several of the songs are barely even metal related.
It's a lot of fun though..

Brute Force - Various Artists
1980 MCA Records MCF 3074

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Brute-Force/release/3689281
012.jpg

013.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

017.jpg

IMG_1060.JPG

Published in 2001, this 800 page book is considered the 'bible' of nwobhm. Essential reading, though I'm guessing a bit tough to find as 2019 approaches. Rumour is a sequel is forthcoming.

Back
Top Bottom