The New Wave/Post-Punk/80s Alternative Thread

Joy Division - Closer

IMGP6849Medium.jpg

...Later, something by the Housemartins.

Or better yet The Beautiful South!

I was lucky enough to run across an '0898' Lp in Mint shape for cheap recently. Ive just had their CDs to listen to since the early 90's and it was nice to start assembling their stuff on Vinyl.

All the bands mentioned so far +1!

Lene Lovich - Stateless

Picked this up a year+ ago in a bulk CL purchase. First time I have played it. Guess I'm a bit slow.

OMD's "Dazzle Ships" followed soon by probably their Architecture & Morality. Classics. The first is really underrated, though I'd agree with general opinion that the latter is their best.

I would dare to add in The Cars s/t first LP. I know they went "big time" very quickly, but for 1978 their sound was definately non-standard. What a groundbreaking band. Id put them in the same box as Blondie. Too bad they took their pop success and ran with it, musically it was thier demise, even though they did very well through 1985 or so. then... "poof"...

Seems to me if they would have stayed just under the "mainstream pop" radar and kept their unique creative edge, they would have done better in the end. But how do you do that when youve "made it"?

Playing the new Smiths collection "The sound of The Smiths"....good retrospective of alt takes/b-sides and hits all kind of jumbled together on 2 discs. There's a one disc and a two disc version, glad I picked up the two-disc. I think I might dig out The Queen is Dead after hearing Meet Me at the Cemetery Gates on this.

The Bolshoi - Friends 1986

Wow, when I was a freshman in high school in 1990 one of my friend's older sister use to listen to this on cassette over and over again in her room. Mainly the track A Way. That and Gene Loves Jezebel "Desire" and Jesus and Mary Chain "Automatic". I haven't thought about those in a while.

Playing the new Smiths collection "The sound of The Smiths"....good retrospective of alt takes/b-sides and hits all kind of jumbled together on 2 discs. There's a one disc and a two disc version, glad I picked up the two-disc. I think I might dig out The Queen is Dead after hearing Meet Me at the Cemetery Gates on this.

I bought this instead, on clearance at a local shop that recently closed up:

415_Large.jpg

Welcome to The Beautiful South

I've been spinning this LP this morning:

Attachments

• bsouth-wttbs.jpg
    bsouth-wttbs.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom