The New Wave/Post-Punk/80s Alternative Thread

Any Siouxsie and the Banshees fans here, also love new Order and Joy Division this is my guilty pleasure music reminds me of my high school days and all the fun we had. My musical taste have grown in the last 25 years but I still love this music.

uhhhhh, Souxsie.... she done my favorite version of "The Passenger"...

There was an California power-pop band also named The Beat, that switched their name to Paul Collins' Beat because of the name clash.

http://www.paulcollinsbeat.com/

Their debut album, "THE BEAT" is on my short list of Best Albums Ever. And definately follow the instructions on the jacket: PLAY LOUD.

Any SKIDS fans here? I had been looking on and off over the years for their "Scared To Dance" LP, which in the states is a bit hard to find. A record dealer in Nebraska had one on Ebay, it arrived yesterday. Man, what a fun album! Another "Play Loud"...can't sit still with this one on.

Any Siouxsie and the Banshees fans here, also love new Order and Joy Division this is my guilty pleasure music reminds me of my high school days and all the fun we had. My musical taste have grown in the last 25 years but I still love this music.

Big Joy Division/New Order fan here. My taste has changed but I still always go back to them, and can't say I ever enjoy any music more.

This past week I played both Unknown Pleasures and a Best of New Order disc my wife picked up used. I need to track down some of their side projects like Revenge and Electronic, I know there were a few good hits from those but more dancey.

I use to have a blacklight concert poster from a Siouxsie show with the Violent Femmes in Houston around 1991. I remember not being able to go because I was broke from seeing Thrill Kill Kult (what ever happened to them?).

The Go Go's ~ Beauty and the Beat

I noticed Belinda Carlisle is on Dancing with the Stars this season. I checked and sure enough The Go Go's are playing some dates this spring. Not a hard core punk band but they were very much a part of the L.A. Punk Scene back in the late 70's and early 80's. The first time I saw them they opened for X.

Lost in the 80's

My wife is like totally an 80's type girl (I suppose I am an 80's type dude). Remember Richard Blade and KROQ Rock of the 80's...well, we spin the Richard Blade compilation CDs of the best alternative 80's rock that was around, and it was soooo good! When we find them, we also like the "special" versions of commonly popular songs (Depeche Mode is legendary in this way). The radio versions were often not the best versions of the song, only the more commercially viable one.

Omg!

I can't believe it, my wife is watching Monday nights episode of Dancing with the Stars and Ty and Chelsie are dancing the Cha Cha Cha to..........................................................a wimpy cover of Train In Vain by The Clash. :puke::puke::puke: Joe Strummer has got to be turning over in his grave!

I'll have to play London Calling later this evening to put the universe back in proper order,

"The Beat" were they called in germany (Wonder why they worked with different Bandnames)

http://www.thebeatuk.com/Home.html

fine band, an if ya look at their other incarnations list...

If everything on wikipedia is true ==> The Beat had a sizable following in North America, where the band was known as The English Beat for legal reasons (to avoid confusion with the American band The Beat).

Lot's of fun reading this thread,...
some very cool bands mentioned.
Here's a few I like:

Blancmange: Second Helpings
The Buzzcocks: Any Album
China Crisis: China Crisis (Produced by Walter Becker of Steely Dan Fame)
Gang Of Four: Any Album
Horslips: The Man Who Built America
The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy: Distressed Gentlefolk
Shriekback: Any Album

And a rare find, "Bram Tchaikovsky": Strange Man, Changed Man

Cheers

Jeff

Attachments

• Bram-Tchaikovsky-Strange-Man-Chang-360214.jpg
    Bram-Tchaikovsky-Strange-Man-Chang-360214.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
If everything on wikipedia is true ==> The Beat had a sizable following in North America, where the band was known as The English Beat for legal reasons (to avoid confusion with the American band The Beat).

They (The English Beat) are on tour now with Bad Manners. Somebody above mentioned The Specials. On that note, how about Madness "One Step Beyond?"

How about The Motels? Somewhat similar to The Pretenders at times and worthy of a spin.

They (The English Beat) are on tour now with Bad Manners. Somebody above mentioned The Specials. On that note, how about Madness "One Step Beyond?"

How about The Motels? Somewhat similar to The Pretenders at times and worthy of a spin.

Good call on the Motels!. I remember those songs: "Suddenly Last Summer" and "Only The Lonely".

Cheers

Jeff

Here's something somewhat obscure for you (I think)...

Wreckless Eric

4 album release in 3 years, pretty eclectic stuff - for punk/pop anyway.

Back
Top Bottom