The next AK Fest ?

We have always pushed for others in different parts to do their own fest.

I would happy to do it here again but if its not all I can say is I wont do anything more then attend or shoot the shit.

Fixing problems from miles away is not a specialty of mine.

With that said this thread has been rather single minded. Anyone have some ideas on anything other then location ?

Grumpy

grumpy said:
We have always pushed for others in different parts to do their own fest.

I would happy to do it here again but if its not all I can say is I wont do anything more then attend or shoot the shit.

Fixing problems from miles away is not a specialty of mine.

With that said this thread has been rather single minded. Anyone have some ideas on anything other then location ?

Grumpy

Ummm...nekkid wimmen would be good.......

The What is more important than the Where.

By defining what we want from a fest the where may become more evident.

Size, type of rooms, events, type of gear, potential DIY how to workshops, all help define what kind of happening we want.

Personally, I'd love to see some planned and time specific workshops as part of the next FEST. For example: How to mount a cartridge, clean a record, design a power supply, solder, surround a driver, etc. This is a hands on hobby that meets people at varying levels of knowledge. A weekend that sounds great and teaches us something would be really cool.

The other thing that would be cool is if it could coincide with a record show. Not necessarily something run by AK but handled in concert with the FEST. Smart vendors could do a lot worse than to leave that weekend available.

I liked alot of things about having a floor of a hotel for the festivities but it also presented challenges regarding room size, bounce and even voltage!

AK (the forum) has grown expontentially and I expect that to continue. I believe that should be taken into consideration when considering how to do this. I can't imagine smaller even being possible.

I KNOW I want to see non-vendor rooms again at the next one. Not at the exclusion of vendors of course but in conjunction with the vendors. The "love" exhibited by any number of the rooms at this fest was cool and gives it that AK friendship atmosphere.

That's all for now,

tentoze said:
Ummm...nekkid wimmen would be good.......

Hey the fest was only 3-5 minutes from 8 Mile road. :banana:

other ideas

1. pairing it up with a good live show somewhere
2. visit to recording studio and introduction to mastering
3. LP manufacturer tour
4. costume party, come as your favorite artist/band
5. one day longer
6. spa day for the ladies
7. pot luck
8. beer bong contest, belly flops, pie throwing, and wet t shirt contest (non members, pros only)

-really liked the separate room thing, thought that worked really well
-really liked the raffles/door prizes :D
-dont see any need to change the way it was set up and ran

dingus said:
isnt Iowa the center of North America?

Yes it is, at least it's the center of my universe :D

I've offered to take AKfest 2007 I've already got a bunch of hotel info etc... And Cedar Rapids is a great place to visit in the spring. Plenty to see and do.

But like Grumpy said there aren't very many Iowan's that are AK'ers and it would have to be something that everyone wants.

Personally I like where and how we had it this year. Get's me the hell outta the house :D

But EW and I will work out a different drive schedule for the trip home :yes:

And again whoever does the fest in 2006 I'll be there to lend a hand. Or I could do speaker refoaming 101 maybe.

How about a lounge with a booze license this time :beer: so nobody has to drive after a couple :cool:

My 2 cents
Army

EchoWars said:
Lawdy lawdy!! What's the world coming to?

I swear I thought I heard some stuff after I went to bed around 8 PM Saturday night, but I figured those young folks needed to have their fun..........

grumpy said:
Call me Farking nuts but I already started thinking about 2006.

Want it to be bigger/smaller, 1,2,3 days, More vendors ? Where its held. Hell let us know what your thinking bout these or anything else related to the fest and or how to make it better.

Hi Dave,

As good as AK-Fest 2004 was, AK-Fest 2005 was WAY better! Despite the fact that the "listening rooms" were almost perfect squares, they were superior in some ways to the bigger rooms we used last year. And I LOVED the amazing variety of gear being shown off this time around.

As you know, I'm moving to East Lansing, Michigan, in another few weeks, and will be less than an hour away from you by the time AK-Fest 2006 rolls around. And I'd be more than happy to help out with the organization next year ... although I wouldn't want to become the "head honcho", as this would preclude me from showing off any of my own wares as a vendor.

Two days seemed like a good length to me, and I most certainly would not go back to a one-day event. More vendors? Why not! Same hotel? Well, we all had some complaints, but the rates would be hard to beat.

So, I guess I'm voting for a repeat next year in the same location, and I think that going bigger would be better than going smaller...

Cheers,
Brian

luvvinvinyl said:
Grumpy won't say this, so I will. If it moves, somebody, or some bodies, better be prepared to eat sleep, and breath AKFest, for several months, until it is a week past the closing. You can't do it 'long-distance'. Grumpy and his crew set the bar HIGH, for whoever does the next one. (Even if it stays here, and the Grumpys, et al, run it again.) An event that successful just doesn't happen by accident.

Truer words have never been spoken. Grumpy invested a HELL of a lot of time on this event, and he gambled a fair amount of his own money on its success to boot! And don't forget that his ENTIRE FAMILY was pitching in big-time on this effort...

Last edited:
All I can say, being the first AKFest I've attended, is this is a labor of love to do an event like this. I'm sure I didn't see half of the little issues that Grump and his family dealt with (and everyone else that assisted in the endeavor), but I can say that although they were pretty well beat by Saturday night, the only sign was Grumpy's eyes kept trying to close on him :thmbsp:
You guys really know how to plan a grade A fest :yes:

As far as another location, it doesn't matter to me but be forewarned, this is not for the faint of heart or the procrastinator (that would be me).
I don't have a problem with Southfield again, an easy flight from Albany and I'll damn sure pre-rent a car this time, no SURPRISES!!!
And I'll be there a day early to help you guys setup again.

Adding a third day would allow more members to at least attend one day. This would also allow me to plan my questions to Craig and EW for day one, leaving days 2&3 to figure out the answers that they'd given me. And more time to meet members also. I know as I look through the "Family Shots", most of these people I did meet at least but didn't get to know them well.

The hotel had it's issues, yes. But then again for $60+/- a night, I don't think it was that bad. I'd rather spend my money on albums from Elusive Disc and adult beverages so's I could sneak into Grumpy's room with TT and Ray, or NOSValves room, or ..........

That is all. Bob

Grump, no one has ever accused you of being shy, but you are not one to blow your own horn either. Since there was SO MUCH more that was right at this year's fest, that the minor quibbles that a few had, I think it is agreed that your decisions have been vindicated. Every choice is a compromise. You mad a LOT of good ones. MY hat is off, to you, sir. Now, if the Hyatt or Westin offers a couple of floors for $58/nt, you might want to rethink. Then again, it is 30 mins from your house.

Tyler, you mentioned Canada, as a possible site. Great, except schlepping gear back and forth across the border is a PITA for the non-vendor. You DON'T want to find out about what a vendor goes through. Then there are distribution rights issues, sales tax registrations (provincial and federal), the list goes on and on. Great idea, for local get-togethers, but distance issues preclude a massed gathering, krimney's impressive red-eye flights notwithstanding.

As for content, I would like to see instructional demo's, as mentioned, like cart/tonearm set-up. I would also like to be there both days. If it is a 3-day event, WOO-HOO, LONG WEEKEND!!!

I'll steal part "As for content, I would like to see instructional demo's, as mentioned,
like cart/tonearm set-up. I would also like to be there both days. If it is a 3-day event,
WOO-HOO, LONG WEEKEND!!!____________more stuff to buy________________

Loved the idea of the individual rooms even with the issues, made more of an
atmisphere in all the rooms and made them quite different from one another.

If it's held in mich again I would love to setup my own room, more akers setups would
be cool!

If it's close enough I'll help out.

Thought the size of the event was very nice, could of even had a few more rooms full!
More vendors to buy things from would be great.
Would of loved to see gear besides the swap for sale.
So many guys build equipment would be cool to see amps/preamps/speakers/phono
stages for sale.
If the price was right on home built or rebuilt gear I probably would a bought something.

The event was one of the best if not the best I've ever been to and I've been to quite
a few. Listening to more gear and meeting more people would improve it! SMILY!

Kegger said:
Loved the idea of the individual rooms even with the issues, made more of an
atmisphere in all the rooms and made them quite different from one another.

If it's held in mich again I would love to setup my own room, more akers setups would
be cool!

If it's close enough I'll help out.

Kegger, this was a concept that was interesting to me, however, due to medical problems was not able to get involved or attend. Andyman, and botrytis did a great service to the members by introducing their systems to other members for auditioning. Often, we are not able to hear these combinations other than in a venue like this.

Perhaps we could expand on this in the next fest, and involve more members systems. I also would like to help, and participate. Got truck....will haul... :yes:

Jon

We may have to send them all on a vacation to Bahamas or somethin'....Or Windsor, Canada... :yes:

BrianB said:
Truer words have never been spoken. Grumpy invested a HELL of a lot of time on this event, and he gambled a fair amount of his own money on its success to boot! And don't forget that his ENTIRE FAMILY was pitching in big-time on this effort...

Location does not matter to me.I liked Dingus ideas on the workshops.This of course would require someone to organize the events and would add more work to the event.It might be possible to pick the location and set up an informal committee with a leader who hands out assignments to members who would like to volunteer time.The leader would orchestrate the tasks thru the worker bees to distribute the workload evenly ,thus not putting the whole burden on one guy.

Back
Top Bottom