The next AK Fest ?

JonTee said:
Kegger, this was a concept that was interesting to me, however, due to medical problems was not able to get involved or attend. Jon
Jon,
You missed an excellent show, but, if you're like me and allergic to smoking, you probably did the right thing staying home and getting your health back. It was quite a "smoking fest", luckily most gear probably came home without smelling like a sports bar!! My wife really enjoyed the fest but couldn't breathe right for 5 days after the fest, I know everyone likes to do their own thing in their rooms but I'd prefer that people smoked in designated areas, that air was really thick during Saturday afternoon!! Just my thoughts as unpoplular as they are, I don't want to offend anyone, I just care about their health, I've seen multiple people go down with lung cancer and it's not pleasant, it tears just rips you apart, well, enough said, Grumpy and everyone else involved really did set the bar high, it will be hard to beat, Dave.
:yes:

jimbecky48001 said:
Sorry dg as one of the offenders, I would be willing to go to a designated area to feed my habit. Jim
No problem Jim, it sure was nice to finally meet you in person, I didn't find out until later that you brought those tasty deserts we all enjoyed, thank you!! Dave. :no: :smoke:

Jim

Dang it ! I forgot to thank Becky and Steph for helping with the goodies. Tell her they were yummy even though i only got a couple. Who's bringing the milk next time :yes:

Funny I actually thought about bringing 5 gallons of milk, but did not know how things were going to be set up and all i could picture was someone spilling milk on a $3000 amp and then looking for the milk supplier. LOL

EchoWars said:
I really liked all the separate rooms...I had misgivings about it, but it turned out damn cool.

Might be a tough one to replicate I know...

Southfield is cool with me, unless ya'all want to come to Kansas City. :)

Another vote for KC! :D

Unless you wan to come to Nebraska! :D

Scott

grumpy said:
And Iowa has what 3 members there ? :)

The Fest Has to be somewhere that has a fairly large concentration of members. Unfortunately that leaves out a whole lot of states.

Well, ya may only have three members in Iowa, but ya got a few
in Nebraska and Colorado and Kansas City that could very easily
make to Iowa, or Nebraska, or Colorado, or Kansas City! :D

Scott

botrytis said:
I agree - Kudos for the BAKING!!!

Dave

I agree! And a special thank you to whoever made the brownies.

All I can say is YUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!! :banana: :yes: :banana:

Johtee

"Kegger, this was a concept that was interesting to me, however, due to medical problems was not able to get involved or attend. Andyman, and botrytis did a great service to the members by introducing their systems to other members for auditioning. Often, we are not able to hear these combinations other than in a venue like this.

Perhaps we could expand on this in the next fest, and involve more members systems. I also would like to help, and participate. Got truck....will haul... "

I know that was so cool seeing other "real" people and how they have there systems
setup. I think you learn or see a lot of ways to do it by the induviduals who use the
stuff in there homes. Plus it's just great to put some gear with the people who really
appreciate what they have. Yes individual smallish rooms with more akers gear would
be awsome, I know I want to setup.

Mixing vendors and actual home setups was a great contrast. More of it please!

Swapping some gear at the fest between akers who broght there systems would
give you a huge range to demo that you could never do anywhere else.

Maybe a list for people to put gear on it that's available for demo in your own room
on your own system would be cool.

Trying out a different phono stage you've never been able to demo or preamp that
you'd like to hear or maybe some vrd mono blocks with your gear, how awsome would
that be to do.

I know if it's in michigan I can bring some demo gear. An st-70 rebuilt with the
tubes4hifi board,some small monitor speakers,Ear834p phono stage,rogue 88 amp,
inexpensive Dared remote tube preamp, things like these from other akers to try
on your own rig could be a great way to find if something works for you!

Could you imagine if everyone that sets up or even others brought like 5 demo pieces
to the show for people to try out. Have a board for people to sign up on and then after
the show without flamming someones equipment you need to place a writeup on the
piece you tried out on the AK board would get a lot of gear talked about!

Man that could be a lot of different gear to try!

JonTee said:
Kegger, this was a concept that was interesting to me, however, due to medical problems was not able to get involved or attend. Andyman, and botrytis did a great service to the members by introducing their systems to other members for auditioning. Often, we are not able to hear these combinations other than in a venue like this.

Perhaps we could expand on this in the next fest, and involve more members systems. I also would like to help, and participate. Got truck....will haul... :yes:

Jon

Thanks for the kudos, Jon, but we were far from alone!

Unless I'm wrong, and let's see if I can do this right, JimBecky wsg RetroStereo, Reel2Reel, Kam, Grumpy and Reyneman all had setups wth their home rigs. And the member/vendors NOSValves, PunkerX, Styler, and Dingus/Tubino all had some of their personal gear there for a listen.

And a special tip of the hat to BrianB and NOSValves for allowing their gear to be swapped about and tested. It seemed to me that most of the gear swapping was going on down in Grumpy and Rays' room, but Craig did have at least 4 different sets of speakers (big uns, too!!) hooked up in his main room.

BTW, those Stacked Advents I brought weren't my regular rig, although they are now in duty in my garage. I've always read about them and have several pair, so figger, WTF, let's set them up and see what folks think. While they were far from the cutting edge there, they sure seemed to be the a nostalgic favorite and maybe the vintage bargain king. Many commented on how they had a pair, and I remember one member even commented that he ran a stack way back when.

BTW, sorry you couldn't make it; we missed you. But if I know this gang, they'll be other local get-togethers. :yes:

Last edited:
great ideas all

most of the ideas are great, KC is not a bad choice too. i think if we were to have clinic/demos we would need an extra day. as all that brought stuff can attest, getting it in the rooms and set up takes far longer than one anticipates. then just getting to hear every system can be difficult, and will become more difficult assuming AK continues growing. then there's the fatigue factor, did anyone leave well rested?

who are the KC members? anyone own, manage, or work in a hotel? :D

Here's one good reason to hold the event in Michigan again: Gilbert Yeung of Blue Circle would almost certainly be back (it's an easy drive from Innerkip, Ontario), and he would like to bring some of his more "exotic" designs next time around... :yes: :banana: :yes:

Fishstink said:
"Don't fix it, if it ain't broke!".

Yeah, but we are a bunch of tinkerers' arent we? :D

I Think if it stays in Michigan, that is fine with me....I love Michigan (best run state in the USA)

WhiteSE said:
....I love Michigan (best run state in the USA)

Hmmmmmmmmm........

Next time you're in town Grumpy and I will have to take you on a ride downtown. :yes:

That may change your tune.

Well, I dont consider Detroit part of Michigan...that is just a badly run canadian town....LOL...

I know about downtown,,,,;-)

Back
Top Bottom