1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

The next AK Fest ?

Discussion in 'AK Fest 2005' started by Grumpy, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

Hmmmmmmmmm........

Next time you're in town Grumpy and I will have to take you on a ride downtown. :yes:

That may change your tune.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. WhiteSE

WhiteSE Is Lute Gluten Free?? Subscriber

Well, I dont consider Detroit part of Michigan...that is just a badly run canadian town....LOL...

I know about downtown,,,,;-)

3. styler

styler Super Member

Ann Arbor

what about Ann Arbor, farther from airport but everything in town is walking distance with good food and lots of coeds! :D

4. dgwojo

dgwojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sounds great, less than 15 minutes away!!

5. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

Ann Arbor = $$$$$

6. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Lily! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

HEY, HEY, HEY! You can't stick us with that, we have enough of our own sh... uh, problems. Besides, the rest of Ontario would just as soon see Windsor and Essex County be part of Michigan, anyway. Windsor-Detroit, orphan twins, I guess. That's OK, I'd be good with that.

7. styler

styler Super Member

Ann Arbor

i saw a few cheap hotels there, like Holiday Inn (60.00 a night), good food! less bullets and cops :D may be able to use a Univ Theater (univ have to provide facilities to the whole state and populace for free if available) for some BIG SPEAKERS. maybe even get a live performance from the UofM Jazz Band...
    Tyler

anyone have UofM affiliations

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  8. outlawmws

outlawmws On the Run

I noticed many assume a hotel is the only place the fest could be held. Has any one considered a hall, school, or city parks public rooms? Our city has a couple of parks with public rooms/halls and the cost is very reasonable. Not far from hotels either, with bus service between.

I know Its not realistic to bring it out west, but i'd guess other city's/townships have similar facilities available.

I just hope to be able to make it next year! I sure wanted to this year. Sounds like a great event!

9. luvvinvinyl

How far do you want to be from multi-K$ worth of your gear?

10. Andyman

11. luvvinvinyl

gotta be something to what Andyman says (Thanks, BTW) as every Friday-Sunday night, our 30,00 seats in the downtown bars are taken over by Michigan youth who come over to drink legally, here. 19 is legal here, 21 in MI.

Fun to watch, the first time they get their hands on Canadian brew!

12. WhiteSE

WhiteSE Is Lute Gluten Free?? Subscriber

13. TWantiques

TWantiques AK Member Subscriber

Michigan is a long way away. How about somewhere a little more central. Like maybe Columbus or Dayton, Ohio, Indianapolis, In or Louisville, Ky.

Or maybe North Atlanta :lmao:

Terry

14. Kegger

Kegger R.I.P. 1/12/1966 - 6/1/2017 Super Mod

I'm sure if someone wants to host one they can host it anywhere they want!
    Just get a team together and do it.

If grumpy will do another michigan one then I'm sure he will and some of us locals
    can help him out on that. I'd sure be up for that as for the success showed so far!

Right now is the time for suggestions on how to do the event.
    What was liked, what to expand on, what might be new and cool!
    What to keep the same!

If someone wants get a team together with enough local investors so to speak
    to start a show then submit your team and start the planning.

I wouldn't think grumpy or anyone else would be apposed to having more than 1
    if there different people hosting them. Anyone that gets hosted just needs a good
    local contingent and be run from the state that is hosting it, as others have said
    no long distance billing/setup.

So if you want to suggest a new location then get people to back you and help with
    the planning. Anyone who wants to plan one could pick just about anywhere they
    want to hold it with enough of a local contingent then it's upto them where it be.

I don't think location, as others have said is what the suggestions are about at this time.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  15. Andyman

The thing that is tough to beat about Michigan is that there are so many AKer's within 200 miles of here. Even under 100 miles, there's prolly well over 20-30. All the guys, aside from Tim and Ray, who set up rooms fall into that group.

I'm not sure any area anywhere else that can boast so many members so close together, especially guys as active as Grumpy, Dingus, Punker, Botrytis, Gary, etc, etc. That, I think, is why these last two events have worked so well.

16. luvvinvinyl

That's correct, Andyman. 'Critical mass' is the phrase which describes the situation. It is one thing to have the team of organizers, but you also need the exhibitors. How far are you willing to travel?

17. Squidward

Squidward Scrappy Mod Staff Member Moderator

I live in Ann Arbor, and I work for the U of M. If anyone needs help with logistics in this town, let me know and I'll help with the leg work.

This year was my first AK Fest. I will be going again next year. If it stays within 100 miles of my home, I think I'll be renting a room and bringing some gear!

Thanks everyone, it was a great time!

18. piece-it pete

piece-it pete What, me worry?

I'm on board with Detroit again, sure! Or where-ever.

As long as Grumpy & Co does all the work and the vendors give away their stuff :D .

I really like -

3 days

Using the rooms again (might even bring a system if I can swing the room - that was a GREAT thing, what variety)

Open bar, on Kam. :beerchug: Well, at least A bar, if we could swing it, insurance the issue? You'all know how important it is to imbibe when playing lps.

The workshops, TT setup, etc.

Since I had to leave this thread for a moment I'm sure I forgot something. And d, I'd be willing to use an assigned area for smoking too. Heck if it means I'm at another 'fest I'd look forward to it!

Pete

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  19. shelby1420

shelby1420 Enjoying the music.....

Personally i thought everything about 2005 fest was perfect, location was awesome but more importantly the rooms showed off everybodys stuff with no distactions and gave everyone and there gear a real comfortable feel!!!! the length of time was perfect( even though i coulda stayed for weeks to listen to all that gear!!!!) bottom line for me was if it aint broke...... but if there is anything i can do to help with 2006, you have my number Grumpy!!!!

20. styler

styler Super Member

agreed but

several traveled far, EW, Toze, me, and more. I really like Ann Arbor, its a little more sedate and easier to navigate than DET. there's gotta be a decent cheap hotel there too. i'll help wherever it is and plan to set up my own room too. Grumpy, if it is in Det again, delegate some tasks, I'd happily help.
    Tyler