The next AK Fest ?

AKfest 2006....

Personally It doesn't matter much to me where it is, it's more important "what" it is. As I doubt it will ever be held in Calgary, it's a trip for me no matter where it is. With enough notice, most flights are gonna be pretty mcuh the same wether I fly to east coast or west. I would love to be able to drive to Seattle,vancouver or even North Dakota for a fest but the masses don't live in these parts. The fest could alternate east/west coast from year to year but then you'd end up with two different groups. I'm all for a buch of smaller gatherings.

I liked the separate room idea, and would like to see that again. IF there was also a ball room made available for some of the "big rigs" to sound off that would be great too. Stacked tannoys would be nice to hear :D

I also like the idea of having some scheduled activities such at 10:00am- turntable set up, 2:00pm voice coil repair, 5:00pm wine tasting :naughty:

A two day event is good, perhaps a 3 day event would be better as it may be worth while for more vendors to bring stuff, especially for the swap meet.

I'm already looking at some of my gear to see what can be sold to start rasing funds for next years trip.

Couple O' thoughts...

Hold it in the same place till Grump gets sick and tired of it :scratch2:
( Thanks again Dave it was Great)

Then maybe vote a site if it needs to be moved, which personally, Detroit is fine by me. Better turn out with critical mass etc... :thmbsp:

Maybe have AKers setups in the rooms like this year, closed to the public.

Put the venders in larger banquet rooms on the main floor, and open them to the public. Advertise with the local radio stations etc... By doing this maybe we could pull more vendors and make it bigger and better. It could make for some even bigger vendor turn out, more like an audio show :scratch2:

Charge an admission fee of say $5 and gererate a little cashola for AK and have fun in the process.

Just a thought or two.
Army

Ak Fest

one could also argue that changing the venue gets more AKers involved. 7000 members with the fact that Detroit may actually turn some people off (other than die hards). granted there's a strong core of north central USA/southern canada, but what about making it easier for west coast or southern members? i think keeping it in Detroit will keep the same great crowd coming. on the other hand changing the venue/region may get a whole 'nother great AK contingent involved. just some thoughts.

Granted, tyler, you make a good point. To counter, we go back to the infrastructure question. If you can find a place with the means to host the Fest, I don't think Grumpy would mind the trip. I know that I wouldn't mind seeing a new place and meeting new people.

No disrespect, my friend, but you weren't here, last year, when this question was beaten to death, and there was no one, save Grumpy and his crew, who would take on the job.

Regional AK Fests

Could be done. Perhaps East, Midwest and West. Grump continues as is and two other members step up in their regions and organize a AK fest in their region. Maybe one in Fla. or CA. in the winter so families could mix a vacation with a fest. Some members might be able to attend two of them sometimes, like East and Midwest. This would all depend on membership numbers in the region. Realisticly one AK fest cannot serve an organization that covers the whole US. and Canada. Think about it.

and more...

well, unless people step up to the plate to fund separate fests then AK Admin may not be able to provide what they did. i can tell you that AK was very generous to us in Detroit, and i doubt that funds could cover two events without much better financial support from members. AK Fest made clear to me that our funds are used wisely and for good causes, but then we need to improve donations. more donations equals more events, raffles, etc. it may be more feasible to have some long range planning and pick the next 3 or 4 years in advance and try to move the show to different regions of the country, or have smaller member organized events that are not directly financially supported by admin. youre talking catering, prizes, raffles, room deposits, advertising, and more - doubling that would take some fund raising. i think its a great idea to have additional events. maybe we can have regional admins to do these events and people can then donate directly to those events. i would happily organize an event in Little Rock or Memphis, big or small.

no disrepect taken

luvvinvinyl said:
Granted, tyler, you make a good point. To counter, we go back to the infrastructure question. If you can find a place with the means to host the Fest, I don't think Grumpy would mind the trip. I know that I wouldn't mind seeing a new place and meeting new people.

No disrespect, my friend, but you weren't here, last year, when this question was beaten to death, and there was no one, save Grumpy and his crew, who would take on the job.

you are absolutely correct Ernie. Grumpy and crew deserves the "I Endured the Mother of all Hassles" award, no doubt about it. :thmbsp:

why dont you organize the AK Trans USA-CAN International Audio Fest! lol, would be kinda fun to come to Windsor.... :scratch2:

Grumpy already did that one, it was held in Southfield, in the true spirit of international relations!

Seriously, it is a major pain for vendors to cart stuff across the border, on temporary export/re-import permits (E15B or E29B paperwork). And God help you if you have some work done by, say, Echo, Punker, or NOSValves!

I don't have access to the membership logs, but I would imagine that the Greater Toronto Area would function as Detroit does, for the majority of the Canadian membership. We do have some youngsters out west, and krimney, too. There are some 'Down-Easters' among our favourites, as well, but Windsor-to-Ottawa would cover most of us, in the Great White North. Scheduling and numbers would dictate that household gatherings are more likely, in the 5-10 range, rather than a Fest. An ambitious project would, I think, number 20-30. You wouldn't get many, if any, vendors on those numbers. I stand open to correction, if 40 or 50 fellow countrymen post to the contrary.

grumpy said:
Call me Farking nuts but I already started thinking about 2006.

Want it to be bigger/smaller, 1,2,3 days, More vendors ? Where its held. Hell let us know what your thinking bout these or anything else related to the fest and or how to make it better.

OK Guys..this thread has got many people dreaming of where to have AKfest2006.. But what I think Grumpy was trying to ask is what can we do to IMPROVE the fest. I know that many people would like to have the fest in the area that they live. But unfortunately, we can't make everyone happy. We damn near kill ourselves trying, but it just ain't gonna happen.

So for everyone who was there, or even if you weren't at AKfest, let us know what you would like to see, or do, or any idea to make the next fest more interesting, fun, sucessful, or all of the above.

And for everyone who would like to have the next AKfest in your area. Please realize that this is a full time job! I am fortunate enough to work in the food industry and have a few connections. I was also able to utilize my 3 teenagers to help in the shopping, storage (my daughters home) and preparation of food because there is no way that any event like this can be catered on the budjet we had (believe me if we could have had it catered I would have been very well rested for the fest). I may have bitched about all the work, but let me tell you when it was all over and done with....It was all worth it when we heard what a great time everyone had. That was so rewarding to both Grumpy and I.

Now let's have some great ideas...and no Kam...no tricycle races.....

Ms Grumpy

WHAT!!! Kam wants Tricycle races, TOO??? ALLRIGHT!

I really like the idea of a workshop, for tonearm/cart setup, surround technique with the test tone vs. battery vs. shim, change a tonearm? Some lucky AKer that wants his changed, but doesn't know how to do it, could get the benefit of expert assistance - raffle idea? Maybe other tech work that comes up, often? Caps? Woodworking seems to be a recurring theme, lately. Veneering/finishing demo? Merrylander's technique for metal cabs?

OTT, more of the same. Swap room was great, demo systems by members and dealers. Great spirit there, with gear being swapped around. I got to hear different carts/arms in ED, amps with different speakers, same speakers with different amps. Food was great, too. Perfect idea, keeping everybody in the hotel, for lunch. (Thanks, Ms Grumpy) With the success of this year, I can only imagine how big next year's gathering will be. I think that 3 days is a bit of a stretch for some, but if there are more vendors'/members' systems, you might need three days to hear everything. I don't think that you will have difficulty making next year's event bigger. Rather, it seems that 'nothing succeeds like success'. I can envision latecomers not being able to get space, to show their gear.

p.s. I will be there for both (all three?) days next year. And I hereby volunteer for duty, on the day before. Whatever you need, Grumpy.

Last edited:
Damn, luvinvinyl, You type faster than I do!! :D

Thanks for getting this back on track, Ms. Grumpy!!

What I liked, vis' a vis' AKFest 2004? Prolly everything!!
The rooms really were better, maybe not for the vendors, but there was much more isolation than in the larger, shared rooms last year.
The breaks for food and the Swap Meet were much better than last year when we had them both jammed into one room.
What I prolly REALLY liked was all the member's rooms. By my count there were at least 9 rooms for members gear, excluding Craig's 3 NOSValve rooms. That made for lots of gear and lots of swapping/experimentation, like Ray mixing and matching all sorts of stuff, Craig's Heresey/JBL/Altec/Tannoy trials, Squidward's DIY Dynaco tube amp w/ my 2265B front end, and the duelling Ohm's in Punker's room. That's what really makes this special. I mean where else could one go and see/hear/mix all these various combinations of stuff from all over the audio spectrum! Honestly, I really think we could do quite a few more rooms with all the guys within 100 miles of here.

I was also impressed by the turnout and meeting all the members. Folks came from as far as Vegas, Long Beach and Calgary and I know they weren't disappointed. I bet they prolly were blown away by what they found when they got here!!

What better for next year? Well, 2 days seems fine to me; 3 would be pushing it for lots of folks. I'm local here, but it'd be tough further away. Some workshops would be cool as mentioned. I'm up for doing one on refoaming; it's a skill we all should develop in this hobby and not really as hard as it sounds. I could do one on refinishing/rehabbing cabs too; I guess I'm just sort of an elbow grease kinda guy.

AKFest 2004 rocked, but 2005 blew it away! I know it's been said 1000 times before, but Grumpy, your entire family, Tim and Steph, and Luther; you guys are the absolute best for pulling this off. Pat all yourselves on the back several times more; it's still not enough!

Andy

There was 23 total rooms for us and only 3 or 4 of them were not listening rooms.
Gonna be hard ( read expensive ) to top that but I think we can give it a shot. :)

Last edited:
not too much to improve on

AK fest was pretty great! pretty hard to make any drastic improvements. I've been pushing for a less urban setting like Ann Arbor, less traffic, good nightlife etc. I do think 3 days would be better, or at least a pre-fest mixer/party where everyone can meet before we start crowding rooms. also, i think we should plan to take some of the burden off david and family. if the grumpsters are gracious enough to organize this again, we need to raise more capital and ease the stress. i agree that the multiple small rooms is the way to go, worked well. :thmbsp:

I've been enjoying this thread a lot, and posted a few thoughts along the way. I'm one of the many AK'ers who made it to both fests, and I'm totally committed to coming next year. I've already put in my request for a room so I can bring some gear!

I'll try to be somewhat organized (a challenge, I know!) in my thoughts for next year...

Things To Keep The Same:

1. The location. I know, it's a long trip for many, but the truth is that the population center of the US is somewhere in Missouri, and Michigan isn't that far away. There's a heck of a lot more members in Michigan than in Missouri, and no matter where else we go, we'll be getting farther away from more members than we'll be getting closer to.

2. The hotel. As long as you didn't get sent to the 800 number, reservations were very easy. The price can't be beat. There's no way we're getting two floors all to ourselves anywhere else, at least for less than $150 per room. Having the listening/demo floor above the sleeping floor kept the rest of the guests (and the management) happy. They got us a nice big room for lunch and the swap meet.

3. Everybody getting together for lunch. It really makes it feel like a group with some friendliness and some history behind it.

4. Lots of small listening/demo rooms, instead of partitioning the ballroom into sections. If we run into a problem with not enough rooms for listening plus vendors, I really wouldn't want the vendors to end up in the ballroom area. They'd really feel "banished", and that's not right. We'll just need to balance room allocations between members & vendors, because they're really part of this effort.

5. The team!! Kam & Grumpy and all the extended family members who pitched in really give it a close-knit feel.

Things To Add/Change Next Year:

1. A scheduled "Welcome" function, like meetings frequently have a cocktail reception, except ours would be more tailored to the group. Beer & wings on Saturday night from 5:00-6:30! We'd need the big room. I really think it would be great for everybody to get together all at once, with a beer in your hand and your nametag on! End no later than 6:30 so people can head off for dinners, etc. I really think this would add to the feeling that we're really part of a group.

2. Make the announcements and awards that take place during lunch scheduled. For example, lunch from 11:30-1:00, and everyone has to be in the room at 12:30 for important announcements. Lots of folks had finished lunch and were going back upstairs and missed Glenn and Dave getting their plaques. Everyone should get to share in these awards. Plus, more very much deserved recognition for a job well done for the recipients.

3. Perhaps a little more organized opportunity for people to get together in small groups for dinner on Saturday night, especially for the many members who don't really know that many other members well. Maybe two or three sign-up sheets in the check-in area for groups going to different kinds of restaurants, blues clubs, etc. Or an anonymous list for the ballet later in the evening! Some of the local members who know the area well could chaperone/lead each group.

4. Scheduled how-to/diy events throughout the two days. It's really important that members who are interested in a certain topic know what room and what time. It's also not fair to the members doing the demo to expect them to just "hang out" waiting for somebody to ask them to do something. They want to visit all the other rooms, too. We might even make the list of demonstrations final before the week of the fest so members can sign up for what demos they want to attend, and we know how many people will sign up to see each one. We may have to get a big room, like the lunch/swap meet room, just for some of the demos! Some ideas, most of which have already been mentioned:

a. Turntable cartridge mounting/setup.

b. Speaker surround replacement.

(Just those two could be standing room only! Or, maybe once each day to spread out the crowds.)

c. Overview of basic test equipment. Speaker holds up DMM..."This is a digital multi-meter. It is the most basic piece of test equipment that you need. Here are the key functions it needs to have...This is the price range you will find...etc., etc. Types of soldering irons/stations. Perhaps a brief discussion of more advanced equipment, such as scopes, sig/function generators, distortion analyzers, etc. Maybe 30 minutes total.

d. Basic troubleshooting, with a walk-through of the most commonly encountered problems, like fried output transistors, leaky caps, testing tubes & transistors, etc.

e. Something that actually shows soldering would be really informative and interesting for the beginners. Maybe Craig could replace a selenium rectifier and coupling caps in a tube amp or receiver. It would be a reasonable 30 minutes or so, and would generate a ton of great discussions and Q & A.

f. Maybe a room or two with some A/B'ing set up. No, no I'm not talking about getting into cable wars, but it might be really interesting to hear the difference between 86 dB speakers and 98 dB speakers, or the difference between SET & PP amps with identical speakers & source components. Identical artist/album on CD and vinyl. Lots of opportunities without getting controversial!

g. This one may not be easily doable, but I was thinking of something on acoustics. Perhaps showing changes in speaker placement, against the wall, not against the wall, toe-in, spacing between speakers, long wall, short wall, on stands, not on stands, etc. Just an idea!

5. I think it's really, totally, absolutely reasonable to charge a small fee for attending. For all of the members that work for companies that are in industries with national meetings/conventions/seminars...how often are those free? I'm talking about bumping it up to something very nominal, like $50, to help cover expenses, prizes, pizza for lunch and beer & wings on Saturday night, etc.

Hope this helps with the discussion. We've got lots of time 'til next year!

Clay

Back
Top Bottom