The official AK golf thread

Rugged Outdoor Woman

During her physical examination, a doctor asked a retired woman about her activity level. The woman said she spent 3 days a week, every week, in the outdoors and yesterday was typical:

"I took a five hour walk about 7 miles through some pretty rough terrain. I waded along the edge of a lake. I pushed my way through 2 miles of brambles. I got sand in my shoes and my eyes. I barely avoided stepping on a snake. I climbed several rocky hills. I went to the bathroom behind some big trees. I ran away from an irate mother bear and then ran away from one angry bull Elk. The mental stress of it all left me shattered. At the end of it all I drank a scotch and three glasses of wine."

Amazed by the story, the doctor said, "Goodness, you're one hell of an outdoors woman!"

"No," the woman replied, "I'm just a really, really shitty golfer!"

My brother and I got in 18 yesterday. It was windy and about 60 degrees. Rain coming in today for a day or so. Slow start but managed to score pretty well. Wondering how many more rounds we'll get in here before the snow flies. When I was younger I'd play all winter if there was no snow. No more - unless I'm in Florida.

Played my last golf of the year today. My last round was going to be Oct15 but I got a bad case of the (I can't type it but it's what Kostner got in Tin cup just before the open ;) ) so I couldn't end my year that way. Slight grip change thanks to a tip, and I shot my best round of the year and the best 9 of my life. 50 on the back (played it first) and 39 on the front nine for my only round in the 80's this year, lipped out a 30 foot uphill birdie putt on 9 that would have put me over the moon. Next season WILL be awesome. New goal.In the 70's for the first time ever. Enjoy what's left of your season gang. Can't wait til next year.:thumbsup::banana:

Believe it or not, its still golf weather here in Colorado. Unfortunately, I've not played in about 6 or 8 weeks because the ole back just isn't cooperating. I'm getting it worked on and I'm now working out regularly - so I hope to have things back in shape for next season. Till then - hit em straight !!!!

Hey! Indian Summer this coming week in Central Ohio. Low 70's for highs - no rain. I'll be out there at least twice!

Some beautiful weather here lately.
I shot my personal best 40/42 for an 82 on Friday in my league.
Two double bogies on the back because I skyed my drives and barely made it past the kids tees.
Otherwise, a great round that got me a skin, the mystery hole and 2nd or 3rd overall for 43 dollars.
Hopefully the rain stops soon and I can try and go back out in the morning to follow it up.

My club is supposed to be on the Morning Drive (Golf Channel) sometime in the next week or so.
I don't know many details. It might just be a mention on a travel segment or something to get snowbirds
to come to the coast. If I learn anything else I'll let you know. (if any interest)

Walked 9 holes today. Have been doing more walking lately, on and off the course as I am on a diet. A gorgeous day for November here in Ohio. Shot 2 over with two birds and 4 bogies. Great to get out, nice all week here. I'll be back out soon.

Walking 18 holes tomorrow. It will be 60 here and sunny. Not bad for November 11.

The golf season is over here in Upper Canuckistan and I consider that it was a pretty good season for me. Planned to break a 100 on my short and easy home course and I did a couple of times also shot in the mid 40s when playing 9 holes with some friends. The plan next year is to shoot in the low/mid 90s on a semi-regular basis and maybe some bogey golf. I'll never be a scratch player 'cause I am an old guy and seldom hit a ball more than 200 yards total (when it goes straight).

I have played 9 times in the past two weeks. Played the day before Thanksgiving and could have played Thanksgiving but I was cooking turkey etc. The weather has now turned for the worse but there's hope next week if it doesn't rain.

I played a fancy private course on Christmas day - one of the oldest courses in Canada (1893). Every year it is free to the public to play on Christmas. They are trying to maximize the number of holes down along the water so the design was pretty awkward with a lot of tee shots hitting over greens from the previous hole. It was pretty though. I only played the front 9 holes because it got dark and cold. The back 9 are inland and not nearly as impressive I'm told. I sucked but it was good to get out.

My regular municipal course is like a swamp these days.

http://www.victoriagolf.com/web/pages/northstar

800px-Aerial_View_of_the_Course_-_Victoria_Golf_Club_-_Victoria_BC_Canada.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a pretty sweet track there, Redtide! The photo is reminiscent of Cypress. I was able to get out on 12/26 and played 20 holes in 3 hours. Only the die hard singles were out there, so I was able to jump around and play whatever hole was open. tough to swing while wearing a fleece, but better than sitting at home with the mother in law who was visiting for the weekend. In 50 degree weather with a good breeze the ball certainly doesn't go very far. I hit a couple of drives fairly well & they crapped out around 210-215. Hit some real nice sand wedges out of the rough/fairways. Buying Taylormade ATV wedges was a good decision, easier to hit than either my Hogans or Titleist out of any lie. Worth checking out, the sole & bounce is not traditional but I got over that real quickly when I saw how well I hit them.

I played Saturday here in Pittsburgh - it was 54 degrees (yesterday was 4 degrees). Played a tough course, not so great on the front (45) but woke up on the back (39). Fantastic day.

I had a very strong urge to golf yesterday but unfortunately my local track won't be open til April. :(
I guess I have to stick to chipping and putting out in my shop/music room for a while yet. My short game WILL be good this season.

One of my favorite holes in golf - the par 3 16th at the Waste Management tournament. You gotta love the enthusiasm - fueled by beer.

Will be streaming it in my office.

Back
Top Bottom