The official AK golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by cubdog, Dec 11, 2014.

1. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

One of my favorite holes in golf - the par 3 16th at the Waste Management tournament. You gotta love the enthusiasm - fueled by beer.

Will be streaming it in my office.

2. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hope to get a February round in on Sunday - mid 40's forecast.

3. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

I'm so longing for spring and my local course to open up. Been working quite a bit on my chipping and putting and pretty much fixed my slice late last season. I'm optimistically hoping to break 80 this year (shot a 39 on a par 36 nine holes late last year so breaking 80 may not be a pipe dream). COME ON SPRING!!!

4. Redtide

Redtide Well-Known Member

I played 9 holes yesterday. The course is drying out a bit. Between the ball plugging and a nasty pull-hook I lost 4 balls (luckily I have lots of old crappy balls). The cherry and plum trees are blooming so it's kind of a nice time of the year to be out on the course.

5. Redtide

Redtide Well-Known Member

It was a nice day on the course today. My first day of the year wearing shorts. I didn't lose any balls so things are looking up.

6. Fisherdude

Fisherdude Regular Dude - Super Mod Super Mod Subscriber

Mid-60's here! But I'm going off at 8:40 tomorrow morning, so it's going to be a bit too chilly for shorts.

7. 2526

Even though you wore shorts.

8. brian222

brian222 AK Subscriber Subscriber

just glad to see this thread.

9. RT Fan

RT Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Went to the local Muni on Easter Sunday, we had entertained the wife's family on Saturday, so I took the opportunity to go hit some balls. When I got there I was pleased to see that the lot was empty, so I paid my fare & went out to play 9. Parred the 1st hole after not touching a club for months, should have quit then. Ended up topping about 5 shots, driver, fairway woods. I guess I was a little quick with the downswing. 48 degrees with a stiff breeze off the water, not the most comfortable conditions. Driver, 7 wood, sand wedge on a 415 yard par 4 into the wind. Ball wasn't exactly jumping off the clubface, still nice to be on any course this time of year. Too bad the forecast for the weekend stinks. Cold & rainy.

10. Smallies

Smallies Well-Known Member

We SHOULD BE watching the Players Championship this weekend but THEY MOVED IT BACK A MONTH+.

11. Mpreza

Mpreza I know the pieces fit.

12. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

First time out this year, Only played 9 because it was starting to rain. Shot 46. Not great but better than I expected for the first time out. Best part of my game today was my chipping and pitching. All those whiffle balls I hit in the shop over winter is going to pay off this year. ;)

13. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

14. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

No Masters fans this year? My, how the forum has changed!!

15. RT Fan

A wild back 9 at Augusta this year, but it was painful to watch Jordan Spieth chuck the Masters into the pond fronting the 12th green. I see that John Daly said Willett was an excellent fast greens putter & was one of his picks to win it all.

16. Fisherdude

Spieth played army golf for three solid days. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday he had no idea where his ball was going. He shot 74-73-73. Sunday afternoon was not a fluke. His tee shot on 12 was identical to the tee shot on 10 and 11. The only reason his second on 12 went in the water was because the ball wasn't teed. Otherwise it would have been "fore right" just like all the rest.

The Thursday 66 was the fluke. That's the round that didn't fit with the other three. He spent the next three days chipping away at that 66. If he would have opened with a 73 on Thursday he wouldn't have been on tv on Sunday at all.

17. 2526

Spieth is such a slow player that I almost couldn't watch him. Contrast his pace with Rory's, for instance.

18. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

He didn't have his A game and still led the tournament for 3.5 rounds. That's pretty impressive. I don't know about you, but I seriously doubt that I could beat his 7 on #12 under tournament conditions - on my best day. So ... I can't criticize the guy. He's a 22 year old that has a record of 2nd, 1st and 2nd in the 3 Master's championships that he has played in. Pretty impressive by any measure. Let's hope that he gets the ball striking all figured out, because he putts like nobody I've ever seen!

19. Fisherdude

His potential is off the charts, that's for sure.

20. RT Fan

Got to play 9 on Saturday as the temps got into the upper 50's. Kept it in play off the tee, a rarity for me, put one of 7 drives in the trees. Just swinging nice & smoothly instead of the usual hack & lurch. Shot 45 with 3 three putt greens, usually my strong suit. Greens had been cut that morning but coming off aeration the previous week along with new growth the greens were bumpy. Jagged a 3 foot birdie putt that took a left turn off the club face but did manage a nice 20 footer for birdie on my second hole. Nothing to complain about, just trying to realize the hardest part of the game is the area between your ears.