The official AK golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by cubdog, Dec 11, 2014.

1. RT Fan

RT Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Slow start to the season around here. Played another 9 holes on Saturday, slightly warmer but a good 2 club wind. Which is fine playing downwind but tough playing long par 4's into it. I hit 4 or 5 shots I was happy with, a couple of real nice fairway woods. Playing 9 is more fun than hitting the rock pile. Shot a commercial 45 and then did some damage in the grill afterwards.

2. brian222

brian222 AK Subscriber Subscriber

First 9 yesterday. Hit 6 of 9 good tee shots. The rest looked like "first time."

3. Redtide

Redtide Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. I played 18 holes yesterday and hit some nice tee shots but also lost three balls by hitting some not so nice pull draws out of bounds. Why can't I just repeat anything lol.

4. Ol' Ken

Ol' Ken Super Member

A recent study found the average golfer walks about 900 miles a year. Another study found golfers drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year. That means, on average, golfers get about 41 miles to the gallon. Kind of makes you proud. You're like.... a hybrid!

313guy likes this.
  5. brian222

US Open time...tough course where every tee shot is crucial. Will Phil do it this time?

6. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have tickets for Friday and Sunday. Third Open here for me.

7. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Watching all the "favorites" choke. Johnson seems to be doing OK, but time will tell.

8. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Looks like the rules officials are going to eff up the US open. Sad.

9. Smallies

Smallies Well-Known Member

This place removed 15,000 trees.

10. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Removed and replaced, if I'm not mistaken.

11. 2526

Replaced none.

12. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

I stand corrected. Seems the trees were removed to put the course back the same as it was when it was developed in 1903. Sounds like they removed what they planted to begin with. Uses less water, fertilizer, etc. now.

13. HTHMAN

HTHMAN Super Member

My favorite part of the US Open was watching Paulina Gretsky climb up those stairs.

14. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

Fox sports golf coverage leaves something to be desired. NBC and CBS does golf much better. The only good thing about Fox golf coverage is Holly Sonders.

15. HTHMAN

HTHMAN Super Member

Even though I live in St Louis, I can not give Joe Buck a pass as a golf commentator-stick with the Cards. I never thought I would say this, but I miss Johnny Miller. Did he ever mention that he shot a 63 at Oakmont to win the Open? How many times would he have mentioned it this year?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  16. 2526

Yes, but he did shoot that 63.

17. HTHMAN

HTHMAN Super Member

I remember watching him in the 70's. He was practically unbeatable for a couple years after that open. Sadly, his putter finally let him down.

18. brian222

Miller did a piece on hand position at impact....already improved my game.He does ramble a bit but I always listen to any instructions he gives.

19. cubdog

cubdog banging through drywall Subscriber

I've been playing very little this year. Same old story, bad back. Lucky to get in 9 a week. So, out of nowhere, I shot a 39 on Friday. Had to par the last three holes to do so. On my last hole I duck hook my drive behind a tree. I'm about 160 out, to a back pin, and have to hit an intentional big controlled draw to avoid the tree and clear a greenside bunker guarding the right side of the green. I pulled it off but I'm still a foot off the green with a 20 footer downhill. I run my chip four feet past so I have to make a knee knocker to save par and secure my 39. Mission accomplished. This has been my one and only golf highlight of the season. It was nice to experience a little ray of sunshine in an otherwise pretty dismal golf year.

20. brian222

45 yesterday...needed better putting but I hit 3 par 3 greens on the fly causing my wife to say "Look at you."....missed all 3 birdie puts.