The official AK golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by cubdog, Dec 11, 2014.

1. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Unfortunate ending to the USGA Women's Open. They got the call right, but I don't understand the rule about grounding your club. I should re-phrase that - I understand the rule, but don't see the reasoning behind it.

2. brian222

brian222 AK Subscriber Subscriber

super slo-mo seems to show one grain of sand moving. I guess grounding in sand might give you an advantage but it never works for me.

3. brian222

rain in Scotland...Phil playing well.

4. RT Fan

RT Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Open Champrionship was fantastic! Phil played great he was just bettered by Stenson who was due. Phil the Thrill shot 65 in the final round and LOST! Henrik shot a record tying 63 in the final round. His iron play was superlative and his 3 wood off the tee was a weapon. Why hit driver when you can place that right in the middle of the fairway?

Played my first three full rounds starting with the 4th of July weekend. Shot 91 & a 93 on a 133 slope course playing near 6600 yards. Hung in there against my nephew, a 6 handicap, on Saturday but he ran me off the course on Sunday shooting a smooth 78. Played my last round while on vacation last week, stinking up an easier course with a 95. Didn't have to play again, since I took a tumbel down the stairs going into my basement in the afternoon, landing on my shoulder. More bruised ego than anything but unable to tee it up.

I can't buy a putt this year, the bogeys & doubles roll right in but birdies & pars refuse to go in. A couple of things to work on, staying down on my chip shots & really slowing down my swing with the driver in my hands. Somewhow I have to get through my thick head that 215 in the fairway is better than 240 in the trees.

5. brian222

I'm doing the same....slowing down Driver swing....getting a lot more good second shots as a result.

6. Redtide

Redtide Well-Known Member

This year I was trying to change several things in my swing and got to the point where I couldn't predict where the ball would go and it stopped being fun so I quit for 2 months. These days I've found my swing again and concentrate on a smooth slow tempo rather than worrying about shoulder tilt/path/flat left wrist/etc... At least the ball is going straight enough to be half fun.

My right hand has started coming of the club sometimes in the follow through but it feels like the opposite of a chicken wing so I'm not too worried about it.

7. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

One of the most important golf tournaments of the year, worth the most money, ends in a playoff, and some dumb *EDITED* picks up the friggin' ball after a wayward tee shot.

I can't believe it!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2016
  8. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Watching the Ryder Cup. Seems like the crowd of spectators are less than favorable towards the European team. One spectator ejected yesterday for comments to Sergio Garcia, another was shown the door today after words with Rory McElroy. Sad that it's come to this. They sound awfully rowdy. Maybe a little too much "refreshments".

9. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_1603.JPG I played at a beautiful place this week, Youngstown Country Club. This picture in the clubhouse give a sense of the rest of the place.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    70'sAudio likes this.
  10. RT Fan

that joint looks pretty swank!
    Got to play yesterday, Columbus Day, following 36 hours of rain on the weekend. The course was set up on the short side since there was a good 2 club wind blowing, which helped dry out the course, although didn't do too much for the ego. Managed to keep it in play off the tees for once, but still can't buy a putt.I realized I had been closing off my stance over time, so I opened my front foot & it really helped me get through the ball. Hit some decent wedges into the greens. The wind was tough, it seemed to be in our faces all morning. Good drives stopped at the 220 mark. I hit a decent 6 iron on a 140 yard par three and came up short. Usually hit a 6 around 160-165. I guess summer is over!

11. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

I stood next to the great Jim Brown at the local muni. We were at the starter's window.

2526 likes this.
  12. brian222

played 9 yesterday. Last day at my course. Beautiful weather and hit some good ones.

13. KeninDC

KeninDC Nanker Phelge Subscriber

Typical November in Virginia golf today. Sun hid behind the clouds and the temperature dropped from 62 to 52 on the drive to the course.

I played in shirt sleeves (ever the optimist) and hit a 102. Smacked one drive 270 in the "cold," so that made me happy. It seems irons hit shorter than woods when the ball is cold. Lost 3 balls in the woods/leaves which is not bad for fall golf around here. Beats raking leaves.

14. RT Fan

I got to play with two buddies from work on Veteran's Day. Low 50's for a 9:30 tee time with a good 2 club wind. What is it with me everytime I played this year it was windy? The greens were very fast for a public course with the wind drying them out. Very hard to hit the fairway, almost laughable by the end of the round as the wind increased to 3 clubs. I played a 155 yard par 3 into the wind as 185, still came up 7 yards short!
    Can't complain playing in November in NY, the flask of Woodford Reserve came in handy. Overall hit some nice shots, the problem as always, is I hit just as many lousy ones, but that's golf.

15. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

No one has played any golf this year!!?? I just watched the Phil Michelson short game video with my focus on chipping. The man is a genius.

16. Westy56

Westy56 A symphony of paradox

Two weeks ago I went skiing for four hours and backed it up with nine holes.
    We've played about ten times this year, so far.

17. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

My local course opens their front 9 this Saturday. The other one opens all 18 on Monday. Hope to go out Monday with a buddy.

18. RT Fan

Played 9 on Sunday & was absolutely horrendous. I couldn't find the fairway with a seeing eye dog. Swinging really fast, no turning my back, resulting in 'casting" over the top, which leads to the dreaded outside in swing path. I hit some drives so far right I cleared tree lines on the other fairway! Back to the rockpile.

19. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

RT, Google "The Arm Swing Illusion" under video's.
    Helped me this Spring.
    Good luck. Hard game but I absolutely love it.

20. brian222

My thoughtful daughter bought me a round of golf for father's day.

moejr and HiFi in WYO like this.