1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

The official AK golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by cubdog, Dec 11, 2014.

1. HiFi in WYO

HiFi in WYO The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest. Subscriber

Played a final round with my grandfather a day after his funeral last week at Bos Landen Golf Club. It wasn't his regular course but he did play it. Tough as heck course - not much room for error. He's the man who taught me how to play. Funny, even after death he kept saying the same things: "You're trying to kill it." "Quit throwing your shoulder back." ... that sort of thing. One bird, five pars and the rest ... well there's a few golf balls out in the woods. :thumbsup:

Bobcat likes this.
  2. brian222

brian222 AK Subscriber Subscriber

my late Dad was the same.."its physics, not brute force" Now I watch LPGA for those slow backswings which result in pretty good distance.

HiFi in WYO likes this.
  3. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

Shot a 73 today which was unusually low for me. I'm a 13 hdcp and I think my best ever was a 77 some years ago.
    New M1 driver, Spider Tour black putter and Leupold laser rangefinder this season have all contributed.
    Started experimenting w/ a claw putting grip that has paid dividends.
    Really digging the yellow Cally Chrome Soft ball, too.

HiFi in WYO likes this.
  4. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Fox coverage of the U.S. Open is unwatchable.

5. brian222

I keep waiting for Joe Buck to say "Boy, this game takes a long time." But I prefer Azinger to Norman.

6. brian222

I've never owned a brand new driver and I don't play enough to justify the expense..just wondering what the M1 is like.

7. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

No worse than most sporting events.

Having all the info at their fingertips (thanks to computers) gives most sportscasters diarrhea of the mouth, with their constant, non-stop talking about statistics that most people don't care about.

8. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

I'm a deal hound. Found the M1 as a demo for $150.
    I was hitting a Cleveland XL that I paid $80 for some years back. The M1 launches well with a good swing.
    Paid $90 for the Spider w/ shop credit from a scramble and $170 for the Leupold on sale.
    NEVER pay retail.

9. HiFi in WYO

HiFi in WYO The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest. Subscriber

I'm bashing a Ping Anser 9.5 driver - I've found that if I try to kill it, the ball goes way to the left (being a lefty, all balls seem to want to go left). But if I let the club do the work, it rewards you. I think punishment vs. reward is so much greater with these newer drivers. I remember having a bit more leeway with my old Burner and even the real wood drivers of the past. But the old adage remains.

10. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

Couldn't agree more, HiFi.
    Amazing what a controlled, well balanced swing will yield you.

11. RT Fan

RT Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have been saying for years men would be better off watching the ladies play than the men PGA tour players. You could, to some extent, replicate a lady pro swing, speedwise, but never Rory or DJ, etc. I went to the Women's Open at Sebonac in Southampton and let me tell you, these girls crush the ball off the tee. (they also hit irons & wedges better than you and go around in 28 putts or so.)
    All I know, is the slower I swing the better I play. Now getting that through my thick skull is quite another matter.