The Official Elcaset thread!

I've been having a problem with my EL-7 decks lately that I need to have checked out. The first one the brakes don't seem to be operating correctly like lbruun's deck. I believe this is an electronic issue as I have looked at it and it doesn't look like there is any mechanical braking.

The other deck the transport wants to stay in play mode until you shut off the unit.

Anyone know of any good tape decks techs? I just bought a bunch more tapes I would like to listen to.

Denny

Thanks for sharing all this stuff, guys.

I always loved the format. Now you all are making me want to get one. Gotta start hunting around, I fear! :)

I've been looking for one for several years - without luck , only seen a few, but they where priced beyond reach, and then there's the find tape issue :(

I picked an EL-7 up in December with some tapes. Very solidly built with direct drive motors for the spools and belt driven dual capstans.
I've not got round to opening it up yet, but it does have a couple issues. The brake on the take-up side is occasionally a little slow (I guess the same issue as others mentioned above) and it sounds better on SLH than FeCr, which hopefully is just an adjustment.

Reading the service manual I see that playback eq is the same for all tape types unlike cassette, curious. Adjustments for the 3 different tape types are done on record eq and not with bias, which has no individual internal pots.

Currently on SLH it sounds amazing, bass is strong and firm, imagery and treble very stable, in other words it's like a decent R2R. Hopefully soon I can say the same on FeCr.

If you see one for sale, go get it!

What do you do when you need belts for one of those? I couldn't imagine it would be too easy to find belts for a forgotten / abandoned format. It's hard enough to find belts for some cassette decks! What do you guys do?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see http://vintage-electronics.cc has a belt kit for the sony EL-7. Well I'll be!

They make belts for almost anything. I know there is at least one company that makes the belts for these.

The hardest part is scrounging for the tapes. I think I am pushing around 300+ right now. :smoke:

This thread couldn't have been better timed....I'm just about to score a FREE!! :banana: TEAC AL-700 Elcaset from a buddy of mine. He say's it works, and he has a few cassettes although I don't know what condition they are in. I think Elcaset use the same tape as Reel to Reel. I'm not too sure.....but if thats true, you can just replace the worn tape in any old Elcasets with more modern reel tape.

I've always been curious about the format so I'm looking forward to it. I'll let you know what happens.....

Cheers.....:)

Elcaset tape is much thinner than R2R tape, is not back-coated and the deck will need to be re-calibrated, but otherwise it should work.

Thanks for the info guys.... I always understood (..or thought) that elcaset tape was identical to RtoR tape....apparently, this is not so. The info on the link above, states the tape was almost the same width as RtoR tape.

Well...I'II check that out, when I get the deck...

Cheers. :)

P.S. Why on earth would anyone create a new tapeformula for ELcasettes ? To continue a long tradition handed down by the people that created 4 different Quadraphonic Formats & 3 different Videocassette formats.....:screwy:

Last edited:
The Elcaset tape is identical to the R2R tape in terms of width (1/4") but the need to squeeze adequate duration in a relatively small cartridge calls for thin tape. There is exactly the same need generated by 7" reel decks and there has been tripple length tape available, allowing 3600ft to fit on a 7" reel. This is ultra thin tape and I suspect it's the same used in Elcaset.

Apart from that, there are three grades of tape on Elcaset standard. Fe2O3, FeCr and CrO2 equivalent marked Type I, II and III.

Good luck finding Type II and III Elcasets. As for Type I tape, IIRC, the specs for Elcaset were somewhat more stringent compared to cassettes and Reels and the bias needs are specified with close tolerances.

Ok...so if I intend to replace a worn elcaset tape with new tape, I need to find (use) a 7" reel of RtoR tape which is labeled 3600 ft...that way I know it'll be compatible and the correct thickness (or thereabouts).....

Cool....thanks.....every little bit of info helps.:thmbsp:

Update......I found this info on the net (slightly edited for clarity)......On what Reel to Reel tapes would be suitable elcaset tape replacements.

From the info I've gotten so far, I assume the 0.5 Mil tape would be the one to use for elcaset worn tape replacement as it's the thinnest..... (underlined below).

Reel to Reel Tape Chart - Tape Thickness & Length in Feet

5-inch reels
1.5 mil 600

1.0 mil 900

0.5 mil Double 1200

0.5 mil Triple 1800
7-inch reels
1.5 mil 1200

1.0 mil 1800

0.5 mil Double 2400

0.5 mil Triple 3600
10.5-inch reels
1.5 mil 2500

1.0 mil 3600

0.5 mil Double 4800

0.5 mil Triple 7200

I'm also assuming that the backcoating thing (..or lack of it) on elcaset tape, won't cause any problems when replaced by regular RtoR tape.

If anyone has actually successfully (..or otherwise) done the transfer/replacement....let us all know :)

P.S. Just found this handy web site ( http://www.elcaset.ca/ )with lots of very useful elcaset info...history, repairs and mods..!! :thmbsp:

Last edited:
I think it sucks that elcaset never caught on... I wanted one of those machines so bad. How did Sony trot it out in the first place? I just remember them introducing 1 or 2 machines. They should have come out with a line of at least 3 decks from very basic on up to audiophile quality, and the same goes for car units. Were car units ever introduced?
It was a great concept, with the best combination of reel-to-reel & cassette formats possible.

Elcaset tape is 1/4in width just like R2R. Track width however is marginally narrower than R2R to allow room for the control tracks in the middle that were never used. Also Elcaset has a track format like cassette. ie. left and right channels beside each other (1 and 2) unlike 1/4 track R2R which interlaces tracks (1 and 3).

I have an athletically near mint Sony EL-5. It has bad transport issues though. I bought it at an Estate sale, and discovered that I knew the deceased. :( His name was George Cheston, from Q.E.D. Laser in Willowbrook, IL. Is there anybody who can repair these? I would like to get it working, and then sell it. This would help prevent somebody from parting it out, which the idea of makes me cringe, because George took meticulous care of it, so I would like to sell it that way.

Also I had an idea: It looks like the way the tapes are designed, one might be able to de-wind one, and then wind some NEW, or NOS, good quality tape on to it. I was thinking Maxell UDXL-180B. That's 1 mil though.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have an EL5,same as you,looks mint but wont play/rew/ff.Capstan motor spins,but pinch roller wont lift and tape spindles dont move.Has anyone any idea's?There is the sound of solenoids clicking when each key is pressed.Also,the pulley for the tape counter has 2 grooves,but only 1 belt,has it thrown one or is it normal??:scratch2:

I have an athletically near mint Sony EL-5. It has bad transport issues though. I bought it at an Estate sale, and discovered that I knew the deceased. :( His name was George Cheston, from Q.E.D. Laser in Willowbrook, IL. Is there anybody who can repair these? I would like to get it working, and then sell it. This would help prevent somebody from parting it out, which the idea of makes me cringe, because George took meticulous care of it, so I would like to sell it that way.

Also I had an idea: It looks like the way the tapes are designed, one might be able to de-wind one, and then wind some NEW, or NOS, good quality tape on to it. I was thinking Maxell UDXL-180B. That's 1 mil though.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Right,ive just got my machine to FF and PLAY!!!!
Take the lid off(unlpugged!)and on the lh of the machine,you will see a stack of 3 solenoids.Gently push each one in,working it back and forward as many times as you can,this got mine going so far!!I suspect the grease on the mechanism has solidified(like on my sony dat-thanks again Sasi!!)and needs a gentle hand to get free again!!

EL5 is working,bar rewind:thmbsp:Listening to it now through Pioneer Monitor 10's-not fussed really about rewind but if anyone knows probable cause,and has any info how to get mech out ill do it and get it working 100%

I think it sucks that elcaset never caught on... I wanted one of those machines so bad. How did Sony trot it out in the first place? I just remember them introducing 1 or 2 machines. They should have come out with a line of at least 3 decks from very basic on up to audiophile quality, and the same goes for car units. Were car units ever introduced?
It was a great concept, with the best combination of reel-to-reel & cassette formats possible.

Sony did have 3 machines that ranged from basic to audiophile.

The EL-4 had the basic piano keys with a single capstan. This was the only model to not offer remote control.

The EL-5 had the soft touch controls like the EL-7 and used a single capstan transport similar in design of the EL-4. The EL-5 was a single motor design like the EL-4.

The EL-7 was Sony's totl deck which also featured the soft touch controls and a completely different double capstan transport. It featured a double direct drive motor system for the take-up and supply reals and an extra motor that ran the capstans. It was the only sony machine to feature a tape/monitor switch. Both the EL-5 and 7 had selectable eq and bias switches but were only active during record mode. The switches have no effect in playback mode.

I'm sure I left out a few details but you get the idea. Surprisingly the EL-4 was the last of the Elcaset decks for Sony. This may be one of the reasons the format didn't take off that well since they didn't introduce it with an entry-level deck.

Back
Top Bottom