DSCN0473.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0485.jpg
    DSCN0485.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN0475.jpg
    DSCN0475.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 63
I've JUST scored one of these Teac AL-700 units as well.. For FREE!! ..:banana:...unfortunately without any cassettes...:tears:...although the guy says he's got some, he can't find them....ah well...

Really nice unit, though...:thmbsp:..and rarer than the Sony's.

:tresbon: Free is certainly a good price!! I saw one for sale in Oz about a month ago - they wanted $500 for it, including some tapes.

Tapes seem to be running on the pricey side on EBay. There's a guy on EBay selling them for $20 for 2 used or 1 new, which is the best prices I could find. I've bought a few from him.

The tapes themselves are definitely the weak link with Elcaset. I got ca. 70 tapes along with mine, mostly FeCr and about 25% of them squeek mechanically.

I have repaired some EL-5/7 decks. So far the only mechanical troubles (in the deck itself) have been caused by hardened lubricants, sliders don't move (one of the decks activated fast forward about 20 sec after the button was pressed as one part of the transport slided so slowly!) or are simply jammed. None of the decks had needed new belts.

I have also recovered some squeeky tapes (both Type I and II). As far as I know the sound is caused by dried lubricant between the reel and the cassette shell. I have simply opened the cassette and carefully cleaned the edge of the shell with a cotton bud touched in a vaseline lubricant spray. Then fast forwarded the tape and rewound and no problem after that. The lub wont reach the tape if you are careful and there is plenty of clearance between the tape and the reel hub, thanks the big cassette.

Does anyone have a good source for new meter lamps? One in my EL-7 has been replaced by a previous owner. Replacement works but isn't quite the same (different shadow from the meter pointer!).

My absolute favourite is the Sony demonstration tape, fantastic sound and the tracks are great, I simply love the "Yesterday once more" version there is. :music:

One project I have been working on has been to make a replacement remote controller. The interface is easy, connect ground to different pins of the remote plug to activate the functions, pinouts are in the service manual. The problem is the remote connector, I haven't find a suitable plugs to fit the holes in the connector.

Edit: I also have an EL-D8 (the portable one) which is in a need of a mains operating lever. The big one on the right which is used to switch between stop/play and record. Previous owner has replaced it with a round volume knob which looks terrible! If anyone have this part; please let me know.

Last edited:
...... One project I have been working on has been to make a replacement remote controller. The interface is easy, connect ground to different pins of the remote plug to activate the functions, pinouts are in the service manual. The problem is the remote connector, I haven't find a suitable plugs to fit the holes in the connector.

Think it's the same remote as TC765 is using (rm30) - maybe sony still has the cable - it was sold as a sparepart when the decks where new.

Can't remember if it is a Amphenol connector, they had 11pin male plug that fitted my homebrew remotes

cne-11p-plug_2.jpg

found them here : http://www.surplussales.com/tube-sockets/TubeSkts-3.html

Think it's the same remote as TC765 is using (rm30) - maybe sony still has the cable - it was sold as a sparepart when the decks where new.

Can't remember if it is a Amphenol connector, they had 11pin male plug that fitted my homebrew remotes

RM-30 is correct, there are only a few pictures around but here is one.

The one you linked looks very promising. The pins look longer on the link above, though. Or course one could replace the female connector on the deck, too and still have quite a high degree of authentic look. Unfortunately "Surplus Sales of Nebraska" is a bit far from my place... :scratch2:

Anyway it just MIGHT look better than my temporary solution here:
IMG_2553.JPG

I used a wired remote from (long since gone) Ferguson VHS:
IMG_2552.JPG

As you can see it worked but the "connector" was so unreliable that I don't use it anymore. (I still have all the parts). The ultimate solution would be to use the control buttons -panel from a skipped EL-deck.

I luckily have found a rm-30 for my 765 :) ... they don't come cheap here.

Don't you have something like rs-online in Finland ? I'm allmost certain that connector is amphenol. regarding Nebraska ... well... think they use mail-order

I could ask around here, know a guy, who may know where such a thing is

Hey All

Up and running with new belts wow!!!! Well type 1 tapes:thumbsdn: I Need to find some type 11-111 tapes. Anybody know :scratch2:

Thanks La Frenchy

Attachments

• DSCN0522.jpg
    DSCN0522.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 320
  • DSCN0538.jpg
    DSCN0538.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN0544.jpg
    DSCN0544.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN0531.jpg
    DSCN0531.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 96
Hey All

Up and running with new belts wow!!!! Well type 1 tapes:thumbsdn: I Need to find some type 11-111 tapes. Anybody know :scratch2:

Thanks La Frenchy

seing this picture :
attachment.php

makes me sure ..... i have *not* too many tapes :D

only source i know for Elcaset tapes is ebay

edit : Where do you hide your R2R ???

Hello,

I have the Nak RX-505 also, in mint shape still, since new. I have had it fully serviced, for maintenance. I gotta love those Nakamichi Car Audio Decks, the TD Series was the Ultimate in Car Cassette decks. I had one too. I miss it. Mine was not the TD-1200, but the model below it. Mine was the 2nd best machine Nak made in car Stereo's. The Tuners in those TD units are actually excellent, great FM Tuners. I worked at the 2nd or 3rd Largest Car Audio Radiio/Stereo Repair Facility in the USA. So, I saw my fair share of all Car Audio. At that time Alpine with HALTAC Heads, and Soundstream Car Audio was the very best, besides Nakamichi TD Units. Alpine Amps were excellent back then. You have great stuff. Ray

Unlucky I guess. I've bounced around alot over the past 30 years, and finally settled in a house with enough space for a "relaxing room." When I opened a bunch of the boxes of my old stereo gear (Panasonic stuff from the late '80s) I discovered my amp was busted, and my speakers were crap (one of my kids had, somewhere along the line, pushed the tweeters in, but they were crap before that).

When I started to look for replacements I gravitated to vintage stuff for a combination of nostagia and quality for the price. I found a Sony STR-7065 for a good price (albeit not yard sale price), and it went downhill from there. The Elcasets fell into my lap when I was looking for a cassette player to use for taping - I have a couple of old cars with cassette decks, so I wanted a good quality tape deck. When I saw the Elcasets I couldn't resist, despite their incompatibility with car tapedecks.

My system is still a work in progress. The Sony receiver drives a pair of Celestion Ditton 200s, with my old Pioneer PL-570 TT still running, as well as the Elcasets and a Nakamichi RX-505, plus a Sony CDP-370 CD deck. Not very hi-fi. I also acquired a Lenco L-78 TT which is my project piece. I'm more into the tinkering than the listening I guess. My car decks are Naks, including a TD 1200.

I also got the Pioneer amp fixed (just needed to jumper the voltage switch - it's a multi-voltage piece I picked up while in the Army overseas in the '80s). It now runs my livingroom setup, which is the matching tuner, multi-disk CD player and a pair of Ditton 100 bookshelf speakers. It's mainly for radio and background tunes when we have guests.

hello,

Nice Phono cartridge there.....AT20-SS....I have the AT-20SLa, but am thinking about the SS Beryllium Stylus. Do you know if its a big improvement? Probably more detail. Thanks, Ray

Thanks! It was sitting in a box in the attic of my parent's house for all those years and is just like new, with nary a scratch. :)

TandbergRay - I'm happy with the car stuff, but I've been messing with my homw setup. Swapped the Pioneer out of the livingroom (sold it on, actually) and put the Sony receiver in. The sound seems smoother to me, mut maybe that's just placebo. I like it though :D

The "man cave" now has more Sony gear (I'm turning into a fanboy). TA2000/3200 combo and an ST-J75 digital tuner (soon to be "upgraded" to analog).

lausvi - I had an EL-D8 as well (sold it on a little while ago). Fortunately it had all of the switches and knobs, but there were some internal parts bent that caused the record function to fail (wouldn't even go into record). Fortunately I have access to an old-school technician who was patient enough to fix it. It was in perfect working order when I sold it, and it financed a whole bunch of other great buys! :banana:

I also have the RM-30, but mine has been "hacked" by a previous owner (a garage musician). All of the functions work, but it has a rather unattractive addition of about 5m of cable.

TandbergRay - I'm happy with the car stuff, but I've been messing with my homw setup. Swapped the Pioneer out of the livingroom (sold it on, actually) and put the Sony receiver in. The sound seems smoother to me, mut maybe that's just placebo. I like it though :D

The "man cave" now has more Sony gear (I'm turning into a fanboy). TA2000/3200 combo and an ST-J75 digital tuner (soon to be "upgraded" to analog).

lausvi - I had an EL-D8 as well (sold it on a little while ago). Fortunately it had all of the switches and knobs, but there were some internal parts bent that caused the record function to fail (wouldn't even go into record). Fortunately I have access to an old-school technician who was patient enough to fix it. It was in perfect working order when I sold it, and it financed a whole bunch of other great buys! :banana:

I also have the RM-30, but mine has been "hacked" by a previous owner (a garage musician). All of the functions work, but it has a rather unattractive addition of about 5m of cable.

Wauww - such a EL-D8 is nice !!

sonyeld81.jpg

but probably not very funny to mess around inside :D

Wauww - such a EL-D8 is nice !!

but probably not very funny to mess around inside :D

Actually it's not too bad. This is the view after removing the bottom cover:
IMG_3932.JPG

The shield can be removed for further adjustments/repairs. Mechanics are of course a bit more complicated but it wasn't too crowded. No schematics inside but anyway it really gives much more professional feeling to see those markings inside, it really tells these things are meant to be fixed!

One thing I wonder: EL-5 and EL-7 both have manual tape type and Dolby On/Off selectors. The EL-D8 has automatic type selection for tape type and Dolby On/Off by the holes in the tape shell. Why was a function this advanced not present in the more professional EL-5/7 -series? I seem to recall D8 being a later model, perhaps the system was not yet fully planned during the release of the EL-5/7? I do like the switches and knobs of the EL-7 (especially the Dolby -light!) but... Is this system present in other Elcaset decks?

BTW: this is the knob my D8 is missing. If you come across one, please let me know!
d8_knob.jpg

would love to se the inside :) Elcaset decks was so few here that i didn't got to see one in action .. had thoughts about getting one, but yeat another tapeformat in the house, wasn't really needed.

Regarding auto-recognition of tape types - if memory serves me right - casette decks began to use it, shortly after the EL5/7 came, but Dolby ?? -

Ever seen a EL4 ?
el4k.jpg

or EL-9
el-d9.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom