The official Fairchild 412 registry thread!

New entry from eBay:
412-2, S/N 319, deep chassis, no bottom plate, black glued-on embossed data plate. Considering the low serial number, and that the embossed data plate didn't appear on all 412s until somewhere around S/N 700, I have to assume that the 412-2 models either had their own serial number (rather nonsensical, since they use the same chassis), or that the 412-2 data plates were glued over the original ink-stamped 412 "Basic Chassis" data plates. I've emailed the seller to see if they will provide me the motor date.

New entry from eBay:
412-2, S/N 319, deep chassis, no bottom plate, black glued-on embossed data plate. Considering the low serial number, and that the embossed data plate didn't appear on all 412s until somewhere around S/N 700, I have to assume that the 412-2 models either had their own serial number (rather nonsensical, since they use the same chassis), or that the 412-2 data plates were glued over the original ink-stamped 412 "Basic Chassis" data plates. I've emailed the seller to see if they will provide me the motor date.
FWIW my 411 S/N 275 is cosmetically similar to that one though quite different underneath. It would seem believable that the 412 is one of the earlier ones and that the serial number is sequentially consistent with mine. I believe the 2 is in reference to the number of speeds (33/45) rather than a model generation.

FWIW my 411 S/N 275 is cosmetically similar to that one though quite different underneath. It would seem believable that the 412 is one of the earlier ones and that the serial number is sequentially consistent with mine. I believe the 2 is in reference to the number of speeds (33/45) rather than a model generation.

I've wondered if the 411s weren't numbered sequentially with the 412s. My 412-1, S/N 312, is the lowest number I've seen anywhere - and I don't think I've ever seen a 411 with an S/N over 300.

The 412s were not divided up generationally until the 412-1A, which had the shallow chassis and "Borg Death Cube" motor. All deep-chassis 412s started as 412-1s.

412-1 (also called the 412 "Basic Chassis" on early models), technically listed as a 33rpm single-speed table, but every one I've seen has both pulleys machined into the platter, and the speed can be changed by removing the belt cover and moving the belt.
412-2, 33/45 with mechanical linkage to move the belt.
412-4, 16/33/45/78 via the electronic drive sub-chassis.

What's strange about that low-S/N 412-2 on eBay is that it has the glued-on, embossed data plate, with a far lower serial number than I've seen with that data plate on any other table. 412-1s didn't get that style of data plate until approximately S/N 700.

412-1 (also called the 412 "Basic Chassis" on early models), technically listed as a 33rpm single-speed table, but every one I've seen has both pulleys machined into the platter, and the speed can be changed by removing the belt cover and moving the belt.

Have you moved the belt and gotten it to run at 45 RPM?

The mystery deepens. That 412-2 on eBay, S/N 319, has a motor dated 22 March 1958. That would seem to indicate that the 412-2 models had separate serial numbers, though the one 412-4 I've seen in person just had the "Basic chassis" markings on the main turntable assembly, and a separate serial number for the ED unit.

Yes I suspect the 412 came after the end of the 411 run and the serial numbers reflect this. No idea about the plate...

What's strange about that low-S/N 412-2 on eBay is that it has the glued-on, embossed data plate, with a far lower serial number than I've seen with that data plate on any other table. 412-1s didn't get that style of data plate until approximately S/N 700.

Looking back on page 1 I noticed there's a serial no 487 with the plate in your second post and another a few posts down in the 600s with the plate.

Looking back on page 1 I noticed there's a serial no 487 with the plate in your second post and another a few posts down in the 600s with the plate.

487 was one of the few other 412-2s that I've managed to document. I think at this point, considering the three that I have info on, that it's pretty certain that 412-2 serial numbers were not contiguous with the 412-1s.

so how these tables sound vs Lenco 75, Thorens 124 or Garrard 301/401?

Fairchild is a belt drive, the tables mentioned are idlers so apples vs oranges.

I've only owned a Lenco, which I liked, but prefer the Fairchild. The build quality on the Fairchild would rival the Thorens or Garrand. Fairchilds don't have a lot of parts and are easy to work on.

Basically, the Fairchild offers a simple, rock solid drive. Think quiet, stable, big balanced sound stage.

If you want bang for your buck, the Fairchild still be had for $300-400.

Another eBay entrant, 412-1, S/N 1724, toggle switch, black data plate, deep chassis.

On ebay

412-1, 1958 motor, shallow chassis, sn 5042, black data plate

I saw that one, and it has me scratching my head a bit. The last units I've heard of with Papst motors, around S/N 8600, had 1960 motor dates. I don't have much information on the chassis between the 2000-ish and 8000-ish S/Ns, but they either switched to the shallow chassis and dropped the electronic drive 412-4 in 1958 or 1959 (after just 1-2 years of production), or they switched to the shallow chassis for the 412s that were never intended to get the electronic drive and saved the remaining deep chassis for 412-4 production. Considering the vanishingly small number of ED units that have appeared, and the fact that I don't think I've seen one with an S/N on the ED unit over 200 (and the S/Ns apparently started at 100), either is possible. I just don't know.

Last edited:
S/N6036 on ebay now. Papst motor, black plate, shallow chassis., top looks like plywood.

Back
Top Bottom