The official Fairchild 412 registry thread!

Another eBay sighting:
412 Basic Chassis, aluminum data plate.
S/N 2827 (I think)
Deep chassis
Papst motor, 25 Jan 1958 date code.

Included are the mounting template and owner's manual.

hello friends,
thought i'd share this recent addition, thanks for opportunity ... turntable sounds really beautiful. past few months I've been living w/ a restored rekokut b12gh .. the fairchild holds it's own easily. waiting for an ortofon blue to arrive ; )
need to address intermittent wiring on one channel of the grado, a loud POP when turning on turntable and would like to find an original mat.
IMG_3192.JPG IMG_E3185.JPG IMG_3186.JPG

Last edited:
Another eBay find:
412-1
S/N 165
deep chassis
ink-stamped data plate with paper S/N tag used on some early Fairchild equipment. Sheltie Dave's ED unit has a similar label.

This is by far the earliest 412 that's turned up, beating my #312 by almost 150 units.

The pop is a spent cap on the underside.

- would that be the larger or smaller cap that needs replacing, you think? (where IS smaller cap)

- i knew from a strobe disc turntable was running a little fast but tonight was listening to some paul bley and could hear piano pitch wasn't rock solid/ locked in.

i dont understand how adjusting belt tension via eccentric mount will impact rpm of platter as I've read here on forum.

Last edited:
- would that be the larger or smaller cap that needs replacing, you think? (where IS smaller cap)

- i knew from a strobe disc turntable was running a little fast but tonight was listening to some paul bley and could hear piano pitch wasn't rock solid/ locked in.

i dont understand how adjusting belt tension via eccentric mount will impact rpm of platter as I've read here on forum.

It might be easier to start a new thread regarding the issues you're having with your table, so that you might pick up some more views.

You'll never find an original mat, they were a foam material that turned into gunk years ago. Be glad that someone got rid of it before it completely melted into the platter. It's not fun to clean up.

If you look at one of my other Fairchild 412 threads, I think I posted pictures of the two different styles of pulley assembly. If you have the early version, which I doubt from your serial number, the one I had had a tendency to wobble. I replaced it with a later version from a parts chassis.

@rocket_no9

As Sam suggested, start a new thread with some pics. Include photos of the switch wiring if you can.

Make sure that the transfer pulley is lubed. Sometimes these get sticky and can cause speed issues.

Last edited:
Never registered my 412 that I picked up in June:

412 Basic Model
Serial #937
9/12/57 motor date

Came with a nice Gray 212 tonearm, which has since been rewired. Sounds great and not bad looking if I do say so myself:

fairchild2.jpg

Last edited:
Data point: 412-1AA (yes, there is a second A hand stamped).

Deth cube, aluminum butterfly plate. Sn: 7723 3/9/62 written on chassis in pencil. No plinth.

42783628264_aa6b030c5a.jpg

Last edited:
Crudely marked as well. Similar to the fairchild 260r revision amps that were converted over to el34 from 6l6gc.

Another eBay find. S/N 1278, deep chassis, bottom plate, black applied data label, motor date appears to be sometime in October 1957.

Too many of those fairchild 412's on ebay every other week. I'm saving my pennies for a 412-ed.:beerchug::D

Too many of those fairchild 412's on ebay every other week. I'm saving my pennies for a 412-ed.:beerchug::D

Really? Not my experience. I've seen the same one on there for a long time, and that's pretty much been it. Been looking since I obtained mine a few months back to see what they're bringing.

Sorry that I wasn't to clear .what i meant was that the 412's pop up every now and then but I'm holding out for the one mentioned.

Already have a Fairchild 440 along with a McCurdy broadcast t/t .just holding out for a true faichild transcription to go with my Fairchild 260 amplifiers and 248 stereo preamplifier.

i'm holding out for a 750 ; ) a 412 wasn't considered "transcription" by Fairchild?

nice National! I've had a few 300s b4 .. they're fine receivers. my personal favorite National would b an HRO60. last one i had had all its coils. was recapped and aligned etc ... it heard easily as well as my depot fresh eac 390a (but w/o impenetrable front end)

this guy's going to my kid: sorry for thread derailment !!
edit ... this is an AR-88D which was a standalone version w/ cabinet and speaker.
IMG_0546.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rca, a real boatanchor.not sure what version yours is but I had 2 of them one a rca ar88lf and a cr91-a. I even had the matching speaker like yours.

Removed the Gray and added an Empire 98 tonarm. A little easier to use and love the way it looks. I should add that I got the 98 from forum member @SFBayArch, who also handled the installation of the arm and associated hardware, and added external RCA inputs for my choice of ic's. He has been a great resource and technical wizard to me with this and other tables over the years to which I'm forever grateful.

412empire.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom