The official Music score thread

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by VinylHanger, Mar 17, 2004.

1. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

You win at life!

2. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

My latest modest score:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1964-1971
    2002 ABKCO Stereo Hybrid SACD, discs pressed in Japan, digipac printed in USA
    $4.25 at local used record store

Getz/Gilberto
    $0.99 at local thrift store

Chicago Transit Authority
    $0.99 at local thrift store

Considering both Hot Rocks and CTA are double albums, that's a lot of good listening for $6.23. Of course, the real prize is the out of print Hot Rocks SACD. I already have the EU pressing, but this one is in better condition, and at $4.25 for a Stones SACD, I couldn't possibly walk away without buying it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    ryanward84 likes this.
  3. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I just got back from a 1200 mile road trip to visit my brother and he gave me about 30 lp's including about 10 sealed from the factory!
    I got home and just had to pop one on the TT, Dire Straits of course.. I was mesmerized! That thing has been waiting in there for 40 years and I cranked it up! :banana: Dire Straits.jpg
    Untitled (2).jpg

4. Outta Ammo

Outta Ammo Active Member

Introducing...Kenny Burrell.
    [​IMG]
    Latest Thrift Store find for $.50. (Not a misprint.....50 cents.)
    BLP 1523
    1967 Mono Repress
    Bass: Paul Chambers
    Congas: Candido
    Drums: Kenny Clark
    Guitar: Mr. Burrell himself

5. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Today's haul:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Dylan Blonde on Blonde
    2003 Sony Stereo Hybrid SACD, SACD Surround Sound, 2 disc set
    $1.99 at local Goodwill

The Rolling Stones Let it Bleed
    2002 ABKCO Hybrid SACD
    $8.50 at local used record store

Neil Young Harvest
    2002 Enhanced Resolution DVD Audio Dolby Surround
    $1.99 at local Goodwill

$12.48 total. Not bad for high res versions of 3 of Rolling Stones top 100 albums (Harvest = 82, Let it Bleed = 32, Blonde on Blonde = 9).

I could have also had several more of the ABKCO Stones SACDs for $8.50 each. They had England's Newest Hit Makers, 12 x 5, Out of Our Heads, December's Children, Aftermath, Between the Buttons and Get Your Ya-Ya's Out. I already have Aftermath and Hot Rocks 1964-1971 of the ABKCO era SACDs. Let it Bleed was the one I really wanted, but I may go back for more. I also have the more recent UMC Japan SACDs of Sticky Fingers and Some Girls. Would like to get Exile on Mainstreet to round out my Stones SACD collection.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    BlindBoyGrnt and ryanward84 like this.
  6. devilsegami

devilsegami Member

Most recent score:
    The Temptations - Truly for You ($1 - mint vinyl)

Purchased a week ago but still not yet delivered:
    Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 ($22 - completely mint)

I'm willing to pay higher for a brand new copy of the Coheed album considering how significant it was to me. Just wish I could a vinyl copy of that damn Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One. Seems to be their only album that didn't have a large vinyl print.

7. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Spent yesterday hitting one of the 25 used record stores in Portland with my 17-year old daughter looking for used SACDs. Didn't find anything I had to have. So, we hit Music Millennium this morning. Struck out a again, but my daughter loved paging through the stacks of new and used vinyl. Swung by the nearest Goodwill on the way home and found this:

[​IMG]

I don't usually buy used vinyl, especially at Goodwill, because 99% of it's in terrible condition, but this one was surprisingly clean. The album is in much better condition than the cover. It's not mint, but pretty close.

One thing I like about the SACD format is it's exposed me to, and reacquainted me with, some great older music. There are so few titles available in the rock genre, I'm inclined to check them all out. At about $30 a pop new, I don't rush right out and buy everything that comes out, but I'll at least give it a quick listen on Amazon Music, or in this case, drop $2.99 on a used album to see what it's all about.

I had heard of Wishbone Ash and read that this Argus is considered their best album, but wasn't really familiar with their work. They often get lumped into that early British prog rock category with King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Yes, all whom I've owned on vinyl since the 1970s, so I thought I'd give them a try. Glad I did. Listened to both sides and then repeated side 2. Really enjoying the harmonized lead guitars on tracks like The King Will Come, The Warrior and Throw Down the Sword.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    sfox52 likes this.
  8. vinyl1

vinyl1 Super Member

I acquired some beautiful original UK EMI classical records from a fellow who has a large collection and is selling off some of his excess:

ASD 3514: Russian Orchestral Showpieces, Paavo Berglund/Bournmouth SO
    ASD 3137: Rachmaninov, Symphony #1, Previn/LSO
    ASD 2889: Rachmaninov, Symphony #2, Previn/LSO
    ASD 3369: Rachmaninov, Symphony #3, Previn/LSO
    ASD 3115, Prokofiev, Symphony #5, Previn/LSO
    ASD 2961, Sibelius, The Tempest, Groves/RoyalLiverpoolSO

These are all early pressings, and most of them are on HP's list. I gladly paid $8 a record for these, as they're more likely to sell for $20-30 or more. It is getting hard to find pristine copies of this type of material.

9. vinyl1

vinyl1 Super Member

Depends. Many guys have bought very valuable records at a retail store or a record show for a low price. Just because they're a store or a dealer doesn't mean there are no bargains.

I once got a $700 set of classical records at a record show for $14 - from a dealer who specialized in classical. He knew quite a bit, but evidently he didn't know everything.

10. swamppirate

swamppirate Super Member

Being a BIG Allman Brothers fan I have always been on the hunt for the early stuff. Today I came across a pre Allman Brothers Band, Hourglass. Far and few between.

image.jpeg

luckyed likes this.
  11. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Super Member

I bought the new pressing of pink Floyd animals... Just noticed that the hype sticker is the final cut. Not Animals. Is this a rarity that I shouldn't open?

12. Mr.White

Mr.White Well-Known Member

Scored another IM '95 Castle 2 CD set! A few scratches on the main disc but plays fine of course. $15. The George Jones is a 1987 UK Ace comp that's killer $5! Plus two cheap Christmas discs. $5 for both.

[​IMG]

Johnno_Oz likes this.
  13. xbart

xbart AK Subscriber Subscriber

_DSC0563.jpg
    _DSC0564.jpg
    _DSC0565.jpg

Got these at a local sale, $12 for all of them.

onepixel, luckyed and ryanward84 like this.
  14. Johnno_Oz

Johnno_Oz AK Subscriber Subscriber

CDs.jpg

Second hand CDs are a steal at the moment from our franchised pawn shops in Australia called Cash Convertors.

Scored someone's Sujifan Stevens collection, couple of Modest Mouse titles, Blues Brothers, Korn, Dire Straits Alchemy, Simple Minds and a Compilation. AUD$22 (US$16) for the lot.

I've run out of CD space.

15. Mr.White

$2 LPs from thrifts the last two days. The one below Malamondo is a Max's Kansas City compilation album, the one to the right of Lindisfarne doesn't photograph well because of the silver foil mirror cover. It's called "Make Believe - Wind", not sure which is the band name. Could be psych. The 1973 school band LP has "Highlights from Shaft", a Carpenters medley and something called "Outa Space" so that could be interesting.

[​IMG]

luckyed likes this.
  16. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Super Member

I'm in Southern California for the NAMM Show this weekend; found a funky little record store called "Left of the Dial." Today's haul:

image.jpg

Some good Jazz (double LP), a little rare Blues, some Prog (an album I'm not familiar with; taking a chance on it), and some Dub Reggae. Decent prices for clean vinyl, too.

I picked-up a few Jazz goodies on CD back in Buffalo at the local Goodwill. Still a little PO'd about the one that got away, though:
    image.jpg

Everything was there-- Great jewel case, no cracks, beautiful insert with liner notes... Just no CD. Swipers!!!

GJ

luckyed likes this.
  17. Mr.White

Yesterday was very Purple;

[​IMG]

18. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Super Member

If only Prince had done an album of Deep Purple covers. It would have been Bottomless Amethyst.

GJ

19. kdooley

kdooley AK Member Subscriber

I made the rounds on Saturday and picked up some solid albums.

DSCF1366.JPG

Vanilla Fudge - Rock & Roll - You can't see it in the picture but it has a sticker on the shrink that says "Now only 1 cent"
    David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World - Genuine first US pressing, not a counterfeit, minty vinyl
    Dick Dale and the Del-tones - Surfers' Choice - 1962 Mono
    Jimi Hendrix and Curtis Knight - Flashing - 1968 first pressing
    Nina Simone - Nina Simone Sings Duke Ellington - 1962 on Colpix

The Bowie alone is worth well more than I paid for the whole lot.

20. onepixel

onepixel .

IMG_4201.JPG

Some kind of score?

I paid nearly $50, shipping included for this limited deluxe edition Regina Spektor album. Double LP, gatefold with lithograph print which came in a separate mailing tube, digital files and on clear vinyl. Thing is, it’s not on clear vinyl. It’s black. WB caught that and quickly notified that it would be mailing for free the correct clear vinyl. It further stated that I didn’t have to send back the mistake. Cool.

Well I got the replacement clear vinyl awhile back. Because of this thread I was looking at the two albums. They are outwardly identical. Discogs provided the correct bar code numbers and other details. I still don’t have the correct clear vinyl. Now I have two black vinyl albums and neither of them are opened. Still in the shrink wrap. What can I say I was listening to the digital downloads.

So do I now have two rare albums? Will they be anything like the Beatles’ Butcher album? I doubt it. Should I bust one out. Or should I wait and see if they send me a clear one?