The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Aside from buying new springs, the one at the arm corner must have had something extreme happen to it, to pull out like that, maybe shipping. I would take the spring from that corner and move it to the front left by the switches.

Now while your at the hardware store, buy longer screws to replace the shorter spring screws that go through the sub chassis,3/4 to an 1" longer, as well as some thin jam nuts that fit the screws.

The bitch part to getting the sub and plinth back together is trying to pull the spring close enough to the screw to grab it, and then not to cross thread it. You take the longer screws and put the nuts on all the way to the head. Then still difficult try and pull the spring to the longer screw and get it to grab, then do all 4. Set the screws equally but not to deep into the spring as you don't want to smash up the dampening foam in them. Now use the jam nuts to adjust the sub chassis so that 1/4 to 3/8" hangs below the bottom plinth edge when the platter and some weight is in the arm area.

Use teflon tape on the threads for the feet, thread the feet on with two turns. Level the plinth with one or two feet.

As FYI, SOTA's lifetime trade-up does not only apply to turntables. My recent Star Sapphire purchase included an older Reflex clamp, with the metal (vs. nylon) collet adjustment screw.

Mine had a weak grip, which I successfully adjusted using 4-2-7's tutorial. But, I had to fully tighten the adjustment screw to get an acceptable grip on the spindle. Also, cosmetically, the clamp looked like someone dragged it behind their car. Functional, but ugly.

I emailed Donna asking about buying new internal parts, and she told me about the ability to trade it in towards a new one. She called me this week with a RA number and I should have a new clamp next week with a trade-in credit applied.

In the house! SOTA Star Sapphire with ET-2 Tonearm
I stumbled across this SOTA at a local garage/estate sale that had records advertised for sale. It wasn't going to fit on my old rack, luckily it came with a larger heavy duty rack.
A couple weeks in my shop, going through some of the issues I found with it, I have it up and running.

_DSC1283.jpg

Agreed with Nutsfortubes ^^^, I remember your thread a few weeks back when you bought it, glad you got all of the issues worked out.

Agreed with Nutsfortubes ^^^, I remember your thread a few weeks back when you bought it, glad you got all of the issues worked out.
I Just wanted to give a big thanks to Dan ( AK'er 4-2-7) for his time helping me with this purchase. I knew nothing about these tables before seeing this one. After talking to Dan, I knew what to look for and make a informed decision.

Great looking table mate. They sound fine too. I was listening to Pink Floyd's "Animals" the other night and I dont know if this is good or bad but I was listening to the musicians and not the Album.
I bought this album new when it was first released and I have always loved listening to it (once a year). But the other night it was the first time I just listened to the muso's.

In the house! SOTA Star Sapphire with ET-2 Tonearm
That's a awesome table and one to be very proud of, nice job.
I Just wanted to give a big thanks to Dan ( AK'er 4-2-7) for his time helping me with this purchase. I knew nothing about these tables before seeing this one. After talking to Dan, I knew what to look for and make a informed decision.

Thank you, always glad to help.

Great looking table mate. They sound fine too. I was listening to Pink Floyd's "Animals" the other night and I dont know if this is good or bad but I was listening to the musicians and not the Album.
I bought this album new when it was first released and I have always loved listening to it (once a year). But the other night it was the first time I just listened to the muso's.
So you got it back together?

So you got it back together?
Yeah mate. Bouncing fair. Left rear spring bolt has been bastardized but connected. I fixed the right rear, Tonearm side, which was the main problem and all good. Very happy with it. Well I should be for the price anyway.
Sota Nova, Tokyo Sound ST-14 arm and Grado VPI Reference for around $650 U.S. This will be my last turntable. I'll get the locking bolts in the future for the bearing and fix the left rear spring properly. No rush now.
Thanks for the help.:beerchug:

Yeah mate. Bouncing fair. Left rear spring bolt has been bastardized but connected. I fixed the right rear, Tonearm side, which was the main problem and all good. Very happy with it. Well I should be for the price anyway.
Sota Nova, Tokyo Sound ST-14 arm and Grado VPI Reference for around $650 U.S. This will be my last turntable. I'll get the locking bolts in the future for the bearing and fix the left rear spring properly. No rush now.
Thanks for the help.:beerchug:
Well now you have to post photos of your new sex machine.

As follow up to my earlier post about Reflex clamps, I heard back from Donna at SOTA today and I have a brand new Reflex clamp on the way to me with a trade-in credit applied.

My clamp was the older, original version and needed the handle and collet replaced, as well as some cosmetic touch-up work done. The estimate to recondition it was $120 plus shipping back to me, or I could get a new one with a trade-in credit for $188 shipped. My clamp was pretty battered and my trade value reflects that, but happy I was able to trade it for a discounted brand new one, which is shipping today.

(edit) And PS - my Audiomods Series 5 arm will be here tomorrow - woohoo! Hope the wait was worth it...

Last edited:
New arm is here and installed along with an armboard upgrade (from MDF to the composite acrylic/aluminum model). New board is much thicker, and I barely had to raise the arm at the base to get proper VTA.

20171020_085627.jpg 20171020_080843.jpg 20171020_080753.jpg 20171020_080738_001.jpg

Another thing about the board is that it is much heavier than the wood board. Previously, the shot resevoir in the arm cutout was full of shot to get things to balance. With this board, I am probably using about 1/3 of the previous ballast weight. SOTA drilled it for me and everything went together smoothly. To me this is a big part of the upgrade here.

Last edited:
New arm is here and installed along with an armboard upgrade (from MDF to the composite acrylic/aluminum model). New board is much thicker, and I barely had to raise the arm at the base to get proper VTA.

View attachment 1028330 View attachment 1028331 View attachment 1028332 View attachment 1028333

Another thing about the board is that it is much heavier than the wood board. Previously, the shot resevoir in the arm cutout was full of shot to get things to balance. With this board, I am probably using about 1/3 of the previous ballast weight. SOTA drilled it for me and everything went together smoothly. To me this is a big part of the upgrade here.
Thats one hell of a counterweight mate. Be interested to see how it sounds. Looks expensive.:thumbsup:

I think a Cosmos/SME combo new would cost around $13K ($8 + $5) plus whatever cartridge you want (I use a vintage Lyra Clavis) so about half the posited $30K with the other half available for LP accumulation.

My other TT did cost more than that but the superb sound is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom