The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Quick question: I took off the original rubber feet of a Star to replace with some metal spikes, but the two bolts in the front are loose. Is there any way I can tighten them from the outside, or do I have to take the table apart? I could just fasten the feet all the way and leave them "loose." Will this affect anything?

You guys it's late here but if you wait till tomarrow I can give better info.

Does anyone know what size the thread is on the Novas feet?
It will be the same as a Star and I can get you size and thread pitch if you wait.

Quick question: I took off the original rubber feet of a Star to replace with some metal spikes, but the two bolts in the front are loose. Is there any way I can tighten them from the outside, or do I have to take the table apart? I could just fasten the feet all the way and leave them "loose." Will this affect anything?

You will need to pull the platter, and I have one apart that I can take some photos for you to see what's all in there.

You guys it's late here but if you wait till tomarrow I can give better info.

It will be the same as a Star and I can get you size and thread pitch if you wait.

You will need to pull the platter, and I have one apart that I can take some photos for you to see what's all in there.
Thank you mate.

Any chance you know how to remove a series 3 platter? The ones I've seen have three bolts and a plate in the middle, mine doesn't

Incidentally, upon talking to Donna after receiving some parts this week, she suggested sending my table in for inspection "when series 6 gets released." Christan Griego is now a business partner and he is bringing some of his manufacturing and materials expertise to the company. Thris was on their Facebook earlier, so they are likely close:

"It’s amazing to change materials and hear some amazing changes. I think we’re on to something. #seriesVI No photos yet, but we’re spinning and listening."

Last edited:
Hello All!

I was just given a Sota Star Sapphire from a friend. I have no power supply/control unit, and it has no tone arm. My current table is a VPI Aries Scout. My question is can I DIY a power/suction for this table and what tonearm recommendations would you folks have for me. I would like to spend less then $1000. in total to get this table operational. Or should I contact SOTA and see what they offer? I will be using a Grado Gold with 8mz cart with whatever tonearm is recommended. I also have a DL-110 that I could use as well, Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Any chance you know how to remove a series 3 platter? The ones I've seen have three bolts and a plate in the middle, mine doesn't

There should be some kind of bolts there, maybe it's just being held by the center 1/2" nut. Photos would be nice and I'll go take the photos I said I will.

Last edited:
Quick question: I took off the original rubber feet of a Star to replace with some metal spikes, but the two bolts in the front are loose. Is there any way I can tighten them from the outside, or do I have to take the table apart?

IMG_0721.jpg IMG_0722.jpg

The blocks for the feet are glued and screwed, they do break loose. There is a blind nut under the blocks the stud goes into, the silver nut that locks it tight is 1/2". When the platter is removed you can get to the nut with a 1/2" box wrench.

The blocks for the feet are glued and screwed, they do break loose. There is a blind nut under the blocks the stud goes into, the silver nut that locks it tight is 1/2". When the platter is removed you can get to the nut with a 1/2" box wrench.

Thanks for the help, I will try to post pictures by tonight or tomorrow. Once this issue is resolved, the last thing that needs to be done is to mount the arm.

Edit: here is a quick picture of the underside.

Attachments

• IMG_20180515_225319_1.jpg
    IMG_20180515_225319_1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Couple updates to my Star Sapphire:

Controls cover engraved (got it confirmed my table wood is Koa)
20180518_105225.jpg

Spike feet with landing discs
20180518_105238.jpg

Now if my tonearm would get here from the UK...

Thanks for the help, I will try to post pictures by tonight or tomorrow. Once this issue is resolved, the last thing that needs to be done is to mount the arm.

Edit: here is a quick picture of the underside.
If you haven't figured it out yet (your picture is the same as my table):

1. Remove the motor cover, disconnect the drive belt, and secure or remove the tonearm
  2. Gently tip the table onto its left (motor) side. Disconnect the vacuum hose from its fitting.
  3. Loosen the two nuts flanking the fitting and use a small hex key to snug up (not too tight) the set screws - this locks the bearing and protects the sapphire plate. Remove the nuts after snugging the screws up.
  4. Gently return the table to its normal position, and move it to two chairs (or equivalent) supporting each side of the table, allowing free access to the middle bottom of the table.
  5. Use a 1/2" wrench to remove the vacuum fitting.
  6. The platter should now lift out. If you have a reflex clamp in good working order you can lock this on the spindle and pull the platter straight up (be careful not to damage the top of the plinth)
Install is the reverse of the above, be careful not to overtighten the vacuum fitting, snug is usually good.

Last edited:

View attachment 1190411

Spike feet with landing discs
View attachment 1190412

The cone looks interesting. I have to get hold of my son to upload mine. Will be interesting what the difference will make. I played Peter Gabriels self named Album last night. The one with Biko on it. This is not an overly loud and dynamic album but the difference between added percussion and the rest of the soundstage was amazing. I'm thinking even a more lower noise floor now.

Nice, we both did the same upgrades and have the Koa wood. I got the Jelco 550s arm today and here is a quick shot to test for fit

Attachments

• 32940885_10211707515820741_4060553117765206016_o.jpg
    32940885_10211707515820741_4060553117765206016_o.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 46
Not a lot of rebound room there for the suspension.
Yeah, just added another thread. 4 threads.I bounce it like a Linn though but from the middle. I do more adjustment to the spring tension then the feet clearance. I'd like to see your suspension position.Mine drops below the plinth by a quarter inch.

Back
Top Bottom