The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Spike feet with landing discs

Get some rubber fender washers to put on top of the feet. A SOTA rubber foot is there because it acts as a bump stop for the sub chassis.

Michell Tenderfeet installed.

the feet are far to close to the sub chassis. Screw them all the way out and then balance the table trying to only use one or two feet. Get some rubber fender washers as I stated above.

Not a lot of rebound room there for the suspension.

Correct no travel room at all.

Install is the reverse of the above, be careful not to overtighten the vacuum fitting, snug is usually good.

Got it figured out, but thanks for the reply. I thought it was going to be more complicated than this for some reason. Can you tell if this a series 2 or series 3 table?

Get some rubber fender washers to put on top of the feet. A SOTA rubber foot is there because it acts as a bump stop for the sub chassis.

the feet are far to close to the sub chassis. Screw them all the way out and then balance the table trying to only use one or two feet. Get some rubber fender washers as I stated above.

Correct no travel room at all.
I'd like to see a picture or two of your turntables (plural) sub chassis's and feet height please mate if you don't mind. Just out of interest.

I'd like to see a picture or two of your turntables (plural) sub chassis's and feet height please mate if you don't mind. Just out of interest.
You can find it already posted in this thread, as I'v done it for other members.

Yeah, just added another thread. 4 threads.I bounce it like a Linn though but from the middle. I do more adjustment to the spring tension then the feet clearance. I'd like to see your suspension position.Mine drops below the plinth by a quarter inch.
I don't mess with the springs, there really shouldn't be any need to. Are you setting the table up per SOTA's instructions? I have what looks to be about 3/4" between the top of the footers and the sub-chassis, and the chassis hangs below the plinth by about 3/8". This is with the chassis weight-balanced according to SOTA's instructions.

Thanks Dan, I'll pick some up today. I re-set the table with weight yesterday for the new feet as my arm is on its way back from the UK, so removing and reinstalling the feet to install washers won't be a big deal.

I know you asked Dan, but here's mine. Just over 1/2" of space between top of foot and bottom of chassis. This is actually a bit less than I'd like to have by about 1/4", but the SOTA spikes are significantly taller than the rubber feet, and I didn't like how high the table sat as a result. My chassis hangs approximately 1/4" below the plinth when set up with the proper weight.

You can also see where I added the rubber washer to cushion any impact with the chassis.

20180520_133540~2.jpg

Edit: SOTA instructions indicate that the feet should be placed to allow suspension travel of 3/8" or less. Interesting.

Last edited:
I don't mess with the springs, there really shouldn't be any need to. Are you setting the table up per SOTA's instructions? I have what looks to be about 3/4" between the top of the footers and the sub-chassis, and the chassis hangs below the plinth by about 3/8". This is with the chassis weight-balanced according to SOTA's instructions.

Thanks Dan, I'll pick some up today. I re-set the table with weight yesterday for the new feet as my arm is on its way back from the UK, so removing and reinstalling the feet to install washers won't be a big deal.

I had to mess with the springs as I had to reattach one of the anchor plates which had been ripped of the plinth and the springs seemed to have different tensions. I know there are opposite winding's. Mine bounces well, I don't know why you need the rubber washes when the only way you can bottom the suspension out is by pushing down hard on it. Mines now hanging below the plinth by 3/8".
You must have different instructions to me. I can't see anywhere it says to have a suspension travel of 3/8" or less. Mine are from the Sales and Service centre in Worth, Illinois.

I had to mess with the springs as I had to reattach one of the anchor plates which had been ripped of the plinth and the springs seemed to have different tensions. I know there are opposite winding's. Mine bounces well, I don't know why you need the rubber washes when the only way you can bottom the suspension out is by pushing down hard on it. Mines now hanging below the plinth by 3/8".
You must have different instructions to me. I can't see anywhere it says to have a suspension travel of 3/8" or less. Mine are from the Sales and Service centre in Worth, Illinois.
It's on the page that talks about pushing down with the reflex clamp, page 10 I believe. I think that's the only place in the manual that references any dimensions concerning the suspension.

Edit: SOTA instructions indicate that the feet should be placed to allow suspension travel of 3/8" or less. Interesting.
But it's kinda irrelevant, I setup and recommend more because of my bouncy floors to allow more space. Because while playing records if the sub chassis hits the feet (Bump Stops) it will skip.

I don't know why you need the rubber washes when the only way you can bottom the suspension out is by pushing down hard on it.
And that happens when you use clamps, and if the sub chassis bounces and hits them.

It's on the page that talks about pushing down with the reflex clamp, page 10 I believe. I think that's the only place in the manual that references any dimensions concerning the suspension.
Bingo

As note, when I use my Reflex clamp, I usually support the sub-chassis with my other hand to avoid excessive suspension travel and allow even more clamping force to be applied.

Need to get my tonearm back from the UK, until then I can't enjoy my SOTA! Hopefully it arrives this week (with a modification no less :)).

Ahh ok, my instructions only go up to page six, which is the Getting the Vacuum up and running page.
As note, when I use my Reflex clamp, I usually support the sub-chassis with my other hand to avoid excessive suspension travel and allow even more clamping force to be applied.

Need to get my tonearm back from the UK, until then I can't enjoy my SOTA! Hopefully it arrives this week (with a modification no less :)).
I have no problem with bottoming out the suspension when putting the Reflex Clamp on. I must say, when I got this table it was a bit of a mess and the guidance from Dan has been invaluable.:rockon:

Would a 12 inch arm work on a sapphire? Planning out my table refurb and really looking at a new Jelco arm like the 950. Curious if anyone has mounted a longer tonearm.

Would a 12 inch arm work on a sapphire? Planning out my table refurb and really looking at a new Jelco arm like the 950. Curious if anyone has mounted a longer tonearm.
I think these are designed for 9" arms, there's a 3" hole in the sub-chassis that would interfere with a longer arm. Plus there's not extra real estate on the arm board to accommodate a longer arm.

No, as mprince said there is no room for one and I don't see a benefit for one either.

Back
Top Bottom