The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

A SOTA need to have a proper setup to used, they need to have the arm balances to the other three corners. and the table need to be placed and level the platter. It's not the type of table you can just carry around a willy nilly place down and use.

If you have some Teflon tap it will be good to used if you follow these instructions. Your feet look screwed in almost all the way, the fact is they act as bump stops for the sub chassis. Your skips are most likely coming from the sub hitting the feet.

Secure the arm with a twist tie. since you have a head shell take it off so you don't hurt your cart.
Tip the table on the motor side edge.
Unscrew the feet all the way off.
Sloppy cource threads benifet here with some Teflon tap
Re-tread them on but just a very little, one twist
Set the table back on it's feet.

Now level the platter, trying to use only one or two feet as little as posable. You need to have the platter level but you want to keep the rubber feet as far from the sub chassis as posable. This way as the platter, arm and sub bounce they will not come in contact with the feet (bump stops)

Look at this vid and how much I am pushing down on the table and how much travel I have.

Evertime I watch your videos of you pounding your table like that and it never skips a beat just blows me away.:eek2:

I keep scouring craigs list and local classifieds looking for one of these.
Someday i will find one.

That's all it takes is to know about and keep looking in your searches. Also search ebay I'v found two local to me there.

I think you need to work on finding one.
I think your right, I just picked up Mr Pigs Marcmorinfied AR XA and it's excellent in every way. I may think about letting go of my Ariston rd 40 that's fully customized as well and source a Sota.

I think your right, I just picked up Mr Pigs Marcmorinfied AR XA and it's excellent in every way. I may think about letting go of my Ariston rd 40 that's fully customized as well and source a Sota.

They pop up all the time around here, and the guy's just keep dropping them off here to get them setup or a little service.

They pop up all the time around here, and the guy's just keep dropping them off here to get them setup or a little service.
That's good to know. Is the Sumiko premier mmt tonearm a decent match for one? Or would you recommend something else?. Thinking if I do sell the Ariston I just keep the Sumiko and pair with the Sota.
I see Nashou had the one in his and it definitely looks the part, I know there capable arms for sure.

That's good to know. Is the Sumiko premier mmt tonearm a decent match for one? Or would you recommend something else?. Thinking if I do sell the Ariston I just keep the Sumiko and pair with the Sota.
I see Nashou had the one in his and it definitely looks the part, I know there capable arms for sure.
Well SOTA sold a ton of older Sapphires like Nashou's with that arm and it was the common entry level setup at SOTA. Then when the Star Sapphire's came out, it was a take no prisoners deck setup with a SME arm and Sumiko MC carts like mine back in the day, but nothing has changed, it will still out perform most.

Well SOTA sold a ton of older Sapphires like Nashou's with that arm and it was the common entry level setup at SOTA. Then when the Star Sapphire's came out, it was a take no prisoners deck setup with a SME arm and Sumiko MC carts like mine back in the day, but nothing has changed, it will still out perform most.
Ah OK that's good to know.

Yes , I know what they are but for the VTA how is it adjusted on this Sumiko MMT arm?

Nashou

We'll, you start by raising or lowering the tonearm until it is level; check the cart/stylus so that they are level & perpendicular; then raise or lower the tonearm to achieve the VTA you want. Per Michael Fremmer of Analogue Planet, for a 9" tonearm, a 3mm rise at the axis will result on a 1 degree increase in the VTA . Presumably, vinyl cutting heads are set at 92 degrees (with the axis end higher than the head shell). FWIW, this setting is pretty esoteric; you'll probably be happy at level (90 degree VTA).

I've got a Jelco arm, similar to yours, there are set screw(s) that hold the tonearm in place. Check the owner manual. A handy way to set this kind of measurement is by using a stack of playing cards (3mm-6mm) or auto feeler gauge etc.

I dumped those tiny feet and added modsquad threaded tiptoes.
Used three nothing beats a triangle.
8A100884-DF91-464C-BC6A-3283852A408F.jpg

0C3AD2CE-D693-4549-98E5-E250D1E36819.jpg

I dumped those tiny feet and added modsquad threaded tiptoes.
Used three nothing beats a triangle.
8A100884-DF91-464C-BC6A-3283852A408F.jpg

0C3AD2CE-D693-4549-98E5-E250D1E36819.jpg

Mine look the same but are painted black .

The only thing I don't like about my table is the oak. I prefer a walnut color or teak. I might try to
sand it all down and stain it if I ever can pull myself away from listening to it !!

nashou

Athanasios

My Sumiko headshell came in the mail today so on went the BPS EVO III Soundsmithed with a sapphire cantilever and line contact tip.

Just realized my cant and turntable match now ;)

35722472363_d230b14998_h.jpg

Last edited:
My Sumiko heads hell came in the mail today so on went the BPS EVO III Soundsmithed with a sapphire cantilever and line contact tip.

Just realized my cant and turntable match now ;)

35722472363_d230b14998_h.jpg
Looks great! Need more pictures and more importantly how does it sound?

Back
Top Bottom