The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Hey everyone, I'm restoring and upgrading my 1200MK2. After Two bad AT-LP120's and a Sub-par Pioneer PL-30-K I decided to go with the Vintage Heavyweight Champ.

I'm not sure when I'm going to have it powder coated and silkscreen labeled. I may just buy an NOS cover since the price seems to be a bit cheaper. (Although Powder coating is a harder finish..) Right now the table plays beautifully and I'm just enjoying it while I order Part assemblies. The start/stop feels like someone spilled soda on it and the strobe seems a bit dim but like I said it all works and sounds great. There's tons of oxidation on the buttons and stains in the paint.

So far, I've changed the Feet, added a thick Pioneer Mat and and Ortafon 2m Red with LP gears ultimate Headshell. The Schiit Mani will be here on Saturday.

46B19275-F87C-4987-B90F-5F818DCF3143_zpspaa2ra2m.jpg

16649058_10158346130515650_5068003759520216202_n_zpsmew9zlzt.jpg

Looks great!

The strobes are 4 LEDs in series. If one's dead, they're all dead. There's a resistor (150ohm +/-5%)that controls the current to the LEDs, so I guess that could be the wrong resistance or something. It should be receiving 20v from the main board. Maybe the LP120 is just more bright.

You could change the resistor (R212) if you wanted to make it brighter

Last edited:
Anyone running a Ortofon Concorde cartridge on their Technics...using this for non DJ, HiFi Listening...let me know how you like it and which model you are using and stylus?

Hi folks-
I've had my Sl1210-M5G for a few years now running with a cheap Technics style headshell with Denon DL-110. The headshell should have been roughly 7 grams, while the Denon is just shy of 5 grams.

I've had the urge to move up in both table and cart, but figured I try a cart first. I bought a package deal of a Hana EH Cartridge barely broken in, and an Ortofon LH-4000 Headshell.
I mounted the other night- and the arm weight was all the way back- barely threaded. The Ortofon weight is 14 grams and the Hana is 5 grams- so I've added 7 grams to what I had.
Would it beboove to get the extra weight that screws into back of Technics arm?

I was able to get the arm to float- but again counterweight was hanging on the arm by a fraction of a thread. I then zeroed the dial and turned weight assembly to 2.0 for tracking force.
Would the added bit of weight on back of arm gain me anything?

Chris

Hi folks-
I've had my Sl1210-M5G for a few years now running with a cheap Technics style headshell with Denon DL-110. The headshell should have been roughly 7 grams, while the Denon is just shy of 5 grams.

I've had the urge to move up in both table and cart, but figured I try a cart first. I bought a package deal of a Hana EH Cartridge barely broken in, and an Ortofon LH-4000 Headshell.
I mounted the other night- and the arm weight was all the way back- barely threaded. The Ortofon weight is 14 grams and the Hana is 5 grams- so I've added 7 grams to what I had.
Would it beboove to get the extra weight that screws into back of Technics arm?

I was able to get the arm to float- but again counterweight was hanging on the arm by a fraction of a thread. I then zeroed the dial and turned weight assembly to 2.0 for tracking force.
Would the added bit of weight on back of arm gain me anything?

Chris

You should get the heavier counterweight instead.

Hi SL-1200 owners, I've been a Technics user since '81 ever since I tried scratching Sesame St records on my dad's SL-D202. So now that I'm into the vintage hobby, I've come across a few Technics - mostly to fix up for friends who want a cheap/decent TT.

This is my first encounter with the SL-1200. I took the plunge and bought a couple of Mk2 in disrepair from a DJ for a good price. Plenty of great information resources out there, but I can't diagnose one of them. The initial issue was a tonearm that resisted moving laterally just enough to make a record skip (or not advance in the groove).

Can anyone help me with steps to take to fix the tonearm before I consider a replacement? I've examined outside the bearings, and I don't see any obvious trauma. The anti-skate doesn't work.
File_000 (4).jpeg

Hi SL-1200 owners, I've been a Technics user since '81 ever since I tried scratching Sesame St records on my dad's SL-D202. So now that I'm into the vintage hobby, I've come across a few Technics - mostly to fix up for friends who want a cheap/decent TT.

This is my first encounter with the SL-1200. I took the plunge and bought a couple of Mk2 in disrepair from a DJ for a good price. Plenty of great information resources out there, but I can't diagnose one of them. The initial issue was a tonearm that resisted moving laterally just enough to make a record skip (or not advance in the groove).

Can anyone help me with steps to take to evaluate the tonearm before I consider a replacement? I've examined outside the bearings, and I don't see any obvious trauma.
View attachment 913405
Going off of memory, but release the arm (without headshell) from the rest and with anti-skate set to zero, let go and watch the arm - it should move smoothly towards the spindle and naturally come to a stop. Then increase the anti-skate setting and it should move smoothly towards the armrest. Jerky movement or mid-arc stopping is a sign the bearings are binding. Also look at the pivot screws - if they are scratched up or gouged it is a sign someone has been in there to try and adjust the bearings.

Going off of memory, but release the arm (without headshell) from the rest and with anti-skate set to zero, let go and watch the arm - it should move smoothly towards the spindle and naturally come to a stop. Then increase the anti-skate setting and it should move smoothly towards the armrest. Jerky movement or mid-arc stopping is a sign the bearings are binding. Also look at the pivot screws - if they are scratched up or gouged it is a sign someone has been in there to try and adjust the bearings.
Yessir. Sorry, I was editing a few things. I did the anti-skate test and it failed.

I know this is a dangerous questions, can I lubricate or clean the pivot screws or the bearings myself without throwing calibration off completely?

Upon further review and AK search results, I've decided that I'm going to follow the KAB tests and technical advice.

I think some of the information out there was confusing me. Thank you mprince for your good advice and quick reply!

IMG_0151.JPG Still loving my 1210mk2 which has been my main table for the past 3 years. Previously owned an Audio Technica Lp 120 and Rega RP1 which were nice tables but seem like toys compared the the Technics.

Mine is mostly stock other than a few KAB mods (DC Regulator, Fluid Damper, Tonearm Rewire). Its cool to see the highly modded 1200's but I'd like to keep this one intact.

My favorite cartridge so far has been the DL103 mounted on a Zupreme headshell for added mass. I have DL301Mk2 in the mail which I've read works better with the stock tonearm so it will be interesting to hear what happens.

Overall its a killer TT and has kept me satisfied!

Last edited:
Not trying to piss off any Rega lovers, I truly believe the technics 1200 is superior to the rega's. they just seem flimsy and cheap.

Also like to hear if any other 1200 owners find the Denon DL-103 to be great on their TT.

I've been using the DL103 as my main cartridge for a few months now and find it to sound exceptional. It's the only MC cart I own but switching between the Denon and my Nagaoka or Audio Techina carts there seems to a deeper level of musicality and dimension to the music with the Denon.

It's definitely the best cart I've used with my 1210 beating out an AT150MLX which was my previous favorite.

Back
Top Bottom