The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by quietcity, May 6, 2009.

1. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

I'm hoping they let me test the bearing and such, or else I won't buy it even though it's pretty cheap for a 1200.

That's my plan, whenever I get a new job since I just lost my good one :(. I want the tonearm rewire, with RCAs and the fluid dampening at least.

2. hugz

hugz Well-Known Member

are you wanting to test the spindle bearing or the tonearm bearing?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  3. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

Both would be great. The tonearm you just zero it out and move the anti-skate to see if it move correctly, right?

4. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Active Member

The Nagaoka MP110 is a great cart for the money hope you're enjoying it!

freQ(*)Oddio likes this.
  5. hugz

hugz Well-Known Member

are you wanting to test the main bearing or the tonearm bearing?
    When my SL-1200's tonearm bearings were busted, the thing that made it very blatantly clear that I had a problem was to zero out the arm (make it float), turn off the antiskate, let the arm float over the tonearm rest and then blow on it ever-so-gently.

With the busted arm it would get half way and then stop very abruptly (or even bounce suddenly). with a new arm now it glides beautifully to the centre of the platter

6. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Super Member

RE: Lead in groove skip issue when using cue lever

I have an SL-1210M5G with AT150MLX. It's dialed in for 1.5g tracking force. Anti-skate is also set to 1.5.

The issue I'm having is if I use the cue lever to set the arm down on the lead in groove of the record, the stylus will often skip forward a few grooves. This only happens when setting down on the lead in groove. When setting down the arm with lever on the music portion of the record -- there is no skipping issue.

Anyone experience this issue? What causes it and what is the fix?

7. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Active Member

Hello is this at the beginning of the record or all lead grooves in a song. Thanks

8. monkboughtlunch

Hi - to clarify, this is occuring when lowering the arm with cue lever on the "dead wax outer lip" at the beginning of the record. It then jumps forward a few grooves. If I set the arm down by hand on at the start of the record, it plays fine.

9. monkboughtlunch

Also - does anyone own an M5G -- and an SL1200GR or SL1200G/GAE and done a sonic comparison? If so, what are quantifiable sonic differences between the new models and the M5G?

10. Bahamayellow

Maybe try backing off on the anti skate a bit. Also I have noticed this on my M3D 1200 if I lower the queuing arm to quickly. It could probably use a good cleaning and silicon filled back in the lowering cylinder. I know the M5G has another adjustment screw on the tonearm . I have one a M5G also but never messed with it. I'm sure u checked to make sure the table is level as well.

11. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

[​IMG]

Finally grabbed the 1200 M3D today. Dust cover is cracked, but otherwise it is in good shape. Smells a bit smokey, any tips on getting rid of it? Also came with a Stanton 890SA. Not sure if it's worth keeping or not.

Bahamayellow likes this.
  12. mprince

mprince AK Subscriber Subscriber

I used a bunch of cleaners on mine, a solution of white vinegar and water usually is pretty effective at getting odors. Mine was so bad when I got it I partially disassembled it and left it in the garage for a few days to air out.

13. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

I'll give that a go. This one is bad, and worse I dropped it off and left it in my living room before I had to go to work. Now my house probably stinks.

14. mprince

You could also pick up some air freshener packets to put down near all of the electronics. I had to really scrub my mat to get the smell out too.

15. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

What is the best way to clean the rubber mat? I'm always worried soap and water will harden it for some reason.

16. mprince

Dish soap and water worked for mine.

17. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

Awesome, thanks. Guess I know what I'll be doing all night. Too bad my hands are too damn shaky to mount my AT440mlb on it. I can do simpler ellipticals though.

18. Bahamayellow

Nice looking table. I really like my M3d also. There were 2 in really good shape my only regret is I didn't buy both of them. My smokey infinitys aren't smelly anymore after 3 years.

19. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

Playing a record I don't care much about, and the stylus definitely needs replaced but I do like the sound of the stanton. Quite happy with my purchase. Now to decide if I should sell my HK, since I'm not the type who needs multiple tables.

20. Happytalk

Happytalk New Member

Hi all. Picked up an SL1200mk2 for super cheap. I've owned fantastic specimen of one of these for years and I found this new (to me) one for $160. For the most part, it looks like it is good shape. However, left channel is virtuaully non-existent. That I think I can figure out. But here's a curious issue, the little nub that rests on the cueing slide(?) broke off while in the possession of a previous owner. I don't really mind it, given the price, but I'm wondering if anyone has run into this, and if I need to replace the whole arm. Or if this did happen to you, did you use some sort of super strong glue?

Also I really hope whatever bang caused this isn't also causing the left channel to be nearly silent...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Bahamayellow likes this.