The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by quietcity, May 6, 2009.

1. mprince

mprince AK Subscriber Subscriber

You can probably try to fix that with some epoxy, the most obvious alternative is a new arm if that doesn't work. On the left channel cutting out, start at the cartridge and work your way backwards. Make sure the cartridge is good, and check everything back from there. Headshell leads, bayonet pins, the connections at the tonearm PCB (requires some disassembly), and the RCA plugs. These are pretty simple tables, just need a plan when you get into it.

Another quick check is to reverse the turntable RCA leads at your amp/preamp. If the cut-out moves from the left channel to the right, then the problem is in the turntable. If if doesn't, the problem is in your phono stage.

2. Happytalk

Happytalk New Member

Cool. Thanks a bunch.

I'll try the epoxy. Any ideas which one may be up to task? I am not the handiest. I thought maybe the little housing part may have been replaceable. But I think that means messing with the baearings which is probably a no no and virtually impossible to get correct.

I tried installing my working cartridge/headshell from my main sl1200mk2. Switched rca's as well. I think it's in
    the turntable. I'll clean the contact points that touch the headshell and go from there. Just need to get the last drops out of the deoxit can. I think, since it's an easier job, I'll just resolder the RCA's. Thanks for the tip regarding the PCB. Let's hope it's not that.

3. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

Smell is dwindling, and it's crazy dirty inside (opened it up to make sure no bugs or anything). Going to drop it off at my local shop tomorrow to get the AT440mlb installed, and get it serviced just in case. Can't wait to spin it. Going to grab a second headshell to mount the stanton on, once I get a new stylus.

4. reidcc

reidcc AK Subscriber Subscriber

A while back I changed cartridges on my M5G. I had been using a Denon DL-110- but wanted a change. I picked up a Hana EH, along with an Ortofon LH-4000 headshell. Even though the output of the Hana is 2.0 mv- I really needed to crank on the volume. I was completely blown away by the sound- separation was much better- more airy sound, and lot less intrusive ticks and pops.

Unfortunately I haven't used it since May- as I also got me a Scout 1.1 with a 2M Black cartridge! I guess I gotta figure out setting up a system upstairs now.

Chris

ranch 22b likes this.
  5. Tonyqt

Tonyqt AK Subscriber Subscriber

Picked this beauty for a price I couldn't resist. Looks like it will be taking my MK2's place very soon.
    Check out my sig picture. I like Trans Am's and the color scheme on this one reminds me of The Smokey and the Bandit car. Black and Gold.

image.jpeg

bluemooze, csericks, reidcc and 2 others like this.
  6. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Super Member

I've had a Technics 1210 several years. I wanted to share an accident that occurred once -- and once is enough! A few years ago I was lifting an LP off the platter and it was scratched when it made contact with the pop up LED stylus illuminator light. It was a glancing blow, but the scratch damaged about a minute of one song on the LP. Because the Technics dust cover doesn't open all the way, it can have the effect of making you pull the LP towards you instead of lifting it directly up. When in the up position, the pop up LED light sits taller than the platter. So be careful if the pop up light is left up. You can also depress the pop up light to the down position as well as lift the dust cover off the turntable when using. This will virtually eliminate the risk of accidentally scratching your record.

7. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Active Member

Does anyone have the Kab tonearm with upgraded wire mod on their turntable. Just wondering if it was a real big improvement in sound. My stock M3d sounds really nice on my system but there is another nice m3d for sale in my area with that mod at a fair price just wondering. Thanks.

8. Happytalk

Happytalk New Member

Got the epoxy. Been setting for 48 hours. We'll see if it works out. As far as the left side cutting out, cleaned the connection points at the end of the tonearm. Good to go. What's a good cheap ground wire replacement? That's the final fix. Orig ground wire got cut off close to the turntable.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  9. Happytalk

Happytalk New Member

I've read about that a lot, and it seems to be a positive improvement. I would be curious to check it out and compare. Often, the only way to find out is to buy! Please do and let us know!

10. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had Kevin do the tone arm re-wire, new RCAs, the wax mod (why not -- it's inexpensive), and the DC1200 voltage regulator (I didn't do/ haven't done the PS1200).

When I got mine back, I was very pleased with the money spent. I believe this modification puts the 1200mk2 in competition with far pricier tables and gives it the ability to extract great sound.

I did have to change cartridges. My table came with a Shure M97xe, but I didn't really like it and was using an Ortofon 2M Red instead. When the table came back, the Shure really shined compared to the 2M Red. There was better separation and soundstage. I believe this had to do with a change in the capacitance of the cables.

I am using a Hana SH cartridge right now, and I really think it is a good match for my table.

If you are a flipper of audio equipment, it is unlikely you will get your money back in the sale. KAB does amazing work on Technics tables, Musical Concepts does amazing work on Hafler amplifiers, many others do great things, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference when you go to sell.

11. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Active Member

Wouldn't be doing any flipping. I am a collector of sorts and don't really sell much. To friends if I do and then ending up buying them back. Lol. My 1200s I'm keeping for a very long time. Just thinking of adding the other to my system possibly if the price is right. I actually like the sound coming out of my M3d better than my M5G.

12. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I do not think I have ever heard a better judgement of quality than an owner liking the sound.

13. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

Just picked up my 1200 from the shop to get the AT installed... and only one channel works. I disconnected the headshell and put it back and now the other channel works only. Tried a different headshell.... same thing. Bad contacts on the tonearm?

Edit: Disconnected the headshell wires and reconnected them, and it works now. Might be bad contacts I need to clean soon. The other headshell is a cheap-o off ebay, so who knows if it works right anyway.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  14. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Active Member

I have a 1210mk2 and sent in my tone arm assembly to KAB for a rewire and bearing replacement. I don't have a vivid memory of the sound before the rewire but I do know my turntable has never sounded better I love the way it all sounds.

My other mods include adding blue tak to the trust plate under the housing for the spindle and the use of the fluid damper.

15. RickeyM

RickeyM AK Subscriber Subscriber

I love it when we put a good cart and a couple of mods on our "lowly DJ decks" and they, well the music on the album, sounds so good :beerchug:

16. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

What weights are you all using? I'm thinking of using the one from my HK table until I sell it, but it's a bit heavy and I'm not sure how much weight the motor can take.

17. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

To the people running the Nagaoka MP-110, what arm height do you have it at?

18. octavius

octavius New Member

I have set it to nr. 1 for Nagaoka MP-110 and for AT440MLb Nr.0 :) I´m speaking about Technics SL-1210 MKII

19. Rentz

Rentz AK Subscriber Subscriber

been browsing CL for a Sl-1200 to add a solid DD to my setup to add to my modded AR, Would you recommend buying what looks like a clean mk5 that is known to be a DJ's table? for about the same price there is also an mk2 that looks shall we say, well loved. the print on the top is worn off can't even read MK2

20. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Super Member

Get an M5G. They have upgraded oxygen free copper wiring.