The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Put it on your holiday wish list! Looks like the prices have gone up a bit but both options are still great values at their price points.

Do you run the 103 with the standard headshell and weight? I've read it likes more weight, so I'd probably need a heavier headshell and an AUX weight for it.

Agreed. I thought the Nagaoka MP-110 was crazy overrated and sounded terrible, but my VTA was too high. Dropped it to 1 and it sounds a million times better and I see what all the hype is about. Still like my AT440MLb better though.

YES!!!! BIG true. I love adjustable VTA and what wrote eriathomas it´s right. I have MP-110 set to 1 and it sound great. When I´m reading lot of problems people with not adjustable VTA turntables I still love my SL-1210 MK2 more and more. :) For AT440MLb is good to set VTA to 0. All with standard original technics headshell.

I thought to get Denon DL103 to my setup too. But I did not now what about resonant frequency of standard head shell?? Probably it has to low weight for this denon???

With the VTA, I thought that I had some issues -- I had it pretty good, but i bottomed out low. Additionally, I got this turntable new from a dealer. It was grey market, but it was still new.

I then find that I had the thin mat instead of the 1/4" mat. I got the KAB poly-mat to put underneath my thin mat -- a noticeable improvement.

I thought to get Denon DL103 to my setup too. But I did not now what about resonant frequency of standard head shell?? Probably it has to low weight for this denon???

I used the Zupreme headshell and auxiliary counter weight to get best results from the DL103. Never noticed a resonant problem with the original headshell but I also have the fluid damper which would reduce any resonances.

Thx for replay :) First I play with idea to buy KAB fluid damper. Do you think there is it noticeable sonic update for stock SL-1210MK2 ? Year of production is 2005. Where is most significantly evidence the KAB damper is installed? In silent passage on the vinyl or also in bass or treble?

Thx for replay :) First I play with idea to buy KAB fluid damper. Do you think there is it noticeable sonic update for stock SL-1210MK2 ? Year of production is 2005. Where is most significantly evidence the KAB damper is installed? In silent passage on the vinyl or also in bass or treble?

It's a definite upgrade - just listen to the music and you will hear the difference.

Help me select a cartridge. I have an SL 1210mk2 with an AT 120E cartridge that I bought new in 2009. Still has the original needle and no new needles are to be found. So its time for a new cartridge. I've looked at the Grados. Starting with the Grado black, green or blue. What's the difference? Ortofon red, I see it can come mounted on an Ortofon headshell. I know little about the latest line form Audio Technica. Their VM series now. Whats their equivalent to the 120E? Shure M97 Maybe. What's the best fit? I have a Yamaha A-S501 with Polk Monitor 10s. The Yamaha was just bought and is in transit at the moment. I been leaning toward a Grado. Green possibly. Also what's a good headshell for it?

Help me select a cartridge. I have an SL 1210mk2 with an AT 120E cartridge that I bought new in 2009. Still has the original needle and no new needles are to be found. So its time for a new cartridge. I've looked at the Grados. Starting with the Grado black, green or blue. What's the difference? Ortofon red, I see it can come mounted on an Ortofon headshell. I know little about the latest line form Audio Technica. Their VM series now. Whats their equivalent to the 120E? Shure M97 Maybe. What's the best fit? I have a Yamaha A-S501 with Polk Monitor 10s. The Yamaha was just bought and is in transit at the moment. I been leaning toward a Grado. Green possibly. Also what's a good headshell for it?

You can still get a 120E stylus for a good price from stereoneedles.com. The current equivalent is the VM530EN.

Hey all!
Just joined the club! Bought a near mint, hardly used 1210 M5G! I'm the 3rd owner.
What a gorgeous table. I plan to use my ZU modded Dennon DL-103. I ordered the auxiliary weight as the ZU cart is heavy. Pics are in my thread asking about this table and it's sonics.
So I'm thinking of ordering the dust cover hinges from KAB. Any negatives? I also have a SL-1900 and when I'm listening to it I keep the dust cover open.

Last edited:

Why not get at nicer needle for the cartridge body?

https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATSAT0440MLOCC.html

I've always wanted to hear a Denon, but don't have the money right now. I do need to venture into MC's soon though.
Do it as soon as you can. The Denon DL-103 or 110 are a great, reasonably priced place to start. I was amazed at how good the 103 sounds compared to the Ortofon 2M Red, which also sounded very good.

Just picked this up off of CL from the original owner. SL-1200.

38795237811_fab0a08260_k.jpg

Last edited:
What arm height do you all with Grado's use with the standard Technics headshell? I have it at .5, but can't tell if it looks level or not and I can't find my spirit level anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom