The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Your correct but not exactly. "Correct" is the overhang gauge. From what I have read the overhang is Stevenson but not exactly by a few thousandths. So what is correct? Does using Baerwald create IGD, Excess wear, etc? I really don't know. I used the Baerwald protractor because it looked very precise to me. I know very little about alignment. The trems Stevenson, Baerwald and Loefgren are new to me. The headshell I have doesn't fit the overhang gauge so I used a protractor. Most Technics owners use the overhang gauge. I had eyeballed the cartridge in and I detected slight distortion in some recordings. It seems the alignment cleaned it up. I'm not being scientific about it so I can't say for sure or measure the differences. Stevenson may be correct by Technics but is Baerwald wrong? I wish I had a test recording and lots of time.

You can safely use Baerwald protractor with your Technics turn table tone arm.

Here is a link to some useful information concerning protractors:
https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

Typically Baerwald protractor requires a headshell with longer mounting screw slots.

Most modern headshell have that type of slots, some older/vintage one do not and you can only use the 52mm factory set up or use the Stevenson protractor. :music:

Last edited:
You can safely use Baerwald protractor with your Technics turn table tone arm.

Here is a link to some useful information concerning protractors:
https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

Typically Baerwald protractor requires a headshell with longer mounting screw slots.

Most modern headshell have that type of slots, some older/vintage one do not and you can only us the 52mm factory set up or use the Stevenson protractor. :music:

Thanks, Vinyl Engine is where I got the protractor from and I had read all that. I'm using a headshell from LP Gear and it has plenty of room for adjustment. I had no reservations using Baerwald. I have a new amp, cartridge and headshell so the systems sonics are all new to me anyway. Seems some may think its not correct. But isn't tweaking and playing all part of the hobby?

Hello All,

Currently I'm running an SL-1700. I picked this Mk1 1200 up from it's original owner a few weeks ago and looks to be in excellent shape other than some electrical tape on the RCA cables. I unwrapped the tape to find what looks like a dog or other critter had started chewing on the cables...not bad but I can see bare wire in spots. I verified it powered on when I bought it but other than that I've done nothing with it. I doubt it's been used in the last 25 years.

So now I'm looking for your thoughts/opinions on what to do with it. Keep in mind I'm a neophyte when it comes to TT's but learning here on Audiokarma. I'm not afraid to do any tinkering. I've read about and watched videos on the various mods and they don't seem out of bounds for me unless I'm missing something.....which happens!:smoke:

1. Hook it up and play it? Keeping it original as possible.
2. Have some fun and do the mods.....New RCA cables, tone arm wires etc.......other mods?

If I do option number 1 should I at least replace the cartridge/stylus and start fresh? It's currently wearing a Stanton 680EE. What should it be replaced with?

I posted a few pics a page or two back but here are some more for reference.....

002.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG 008.JPG

I would start with replacing the RCA cables, cleaning it up, and trying it out. Also make sure the turntable setup is correct.

I have a Stanton 681 cartridge on my 1200 and it sounds great. I have a replacement stylus from Voice of Music that I am very happy with. There's a thread on Stanton cartridges (several) that you can look up. Enjoy!

Hello All,

Currently I'm running an SL-1700. I picked this Mk1 1200 up from it's original owner a few weeks ago and looks to be in excellent shape other than some electrical tape on the RCA cables. I unwrapped the tape to find what looks like a dog or other critter had started chewing on the cables...not bad but I can see bare wire in spots. I verified it powered on when I bought it but other than that I've done nothing with it. I doubt it's been used in the last 25 years.

So now I'm looking for your thoughts/opinions on what to do with it. Keep in mind I'm a neophyte when it comes to TT's but learning here on Audiokarma. I'm not afraid to do any tinkering. I've read about and watched videos on the various mods and they don't seem out of bounds for me unless I'm missing something.....which happens!:smoke:

1. Hook it up and play it? Keeping it original as possible.
2. Have some fun and do the mods.....New RCA cables, tone arm wires etc.......other mods?

If I do option number 1 should I at least replace the cartridge/stylus and start fresh? It's currently wearing a Stanton 680EE. What should it be replaced with?

I posted a few pics a page or two back but here are some more for reference.....

View attachment 1074301 View attachment 1074302 View attachment 1074303 View attachment 1074304

Another MK1 owner, I've got two myself, they've superseded all my other TTs. New RCA cables are definitely a good idea. both my units would drop one channel when the cable was wiggled, one was in excellent condition, and the other one was in pretty sad condition. Easy mods I've found that make a noticeable difference are wrapping the tonearm in plumber's teflon tape, and sticking sound dampening material on the underside of the plinth, focus on the more hollow areas. That cartridge was near the top of the line, so definitely worth getting a new stylus for.

I don't have one, but just got a 15g headshell for my grado, so it'd be 20.5g. I was hoping it'd work until I buy a weight.

Okay.. I miss read. You don't have the auxiliary weight. According the service manual:
Weight range:
13.5 to 17.5
17 to 20.5 - With auxiliary weight
11 to 14 - With shell weight

Last edited:
Okay.. I miss read. You don't have the auxiliary weight. According the service manual:
Weight range:
13.5 to 17.5
17 to 20.5 - With auxiliary weight
11 to 14 - With shell weight

Thanks. Looks like I'll need a weight, or to take the Litz wire off the headshell to use on another.

I wanted to share an easy mod for the Technics 1200 cartridge alignment tool.

The mod helps anyone that owns the Zupreme headshell or other which has two locating pins on the collar of the headshell which prevents it from being inserted into the alignment tool .

I took a thin hacksaw with the same thickness as the upper slot and used it to cut into the plastic below creating anther slot on the opposite side. The upper slot acts as a guide helping to hold the blade straight and guide it while to make the cut. Took about two minutes to do and now I can use the alignment tool with my Zupreme headshell which I use with my DL103.

Just be careful making the cut since the tool is small and your fingers can get close to the blade when cutting!

IMG_4222.JPG

Last edited:
I wanted to share an easy mod for the Technics 1200 cartridge alignment tool.

The mod helps anyone that owns the Zupreme headshell or other which has two locating pins on the collar of the headshell which prevents it from being inserted into the alignment tool .

I took a thin handsaw with the same thickness as the upper slot and used it to cut into the plastic below creating anther slot on the opposite side. The upper slot acts as a guide helping to hold the blade straight and guide it while to make the cut. Took about two minutes to do and now I can use the alignment tool with my Zupreme headshell which I use with my DL103.

Just be careful making the cut since the tool is small and your fingers can get close to the blade when cutting! I don't see any blood on it... you did good.

View attachment 1080718
Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I just purchased a Zupreme. I eye balled it in. I was thinking of the same mod but I haven't been out in the garage yet. I was imagining using a hack saw blade. What did you use to make the cut? I don't see any blood on it... You did good.

Last edited:
I just got one of these cartridge alignment tools in from Japan. Prior I was eyeing it with a measuring tape at 2" & 1/32nd. Both my headshells were dead on when checked against the alignment tool.

Back
Top Bottom