The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

@ Engineer5, I've got six of the them and can honestly say that they're one of the best tables around. Widely over-looked and under-appreciated they'll give any other table a run for their money.
The best change you can make is installing a better tonearm.
I use S.M.E. 3009 Pre-Improved as it's the most flexible in terms of different types of cartridge flexibility and use.
I also installed soft rubber/sorbathane feet under the Technics feet. These isolate the table substantially and of course take the dust-cover off during use. It pains me when some novices complain that they can't use a dust cover when playing a disk, that's hogwash and a cover should only be used when the table is idle otherwise they're asking for acoustic-feedback issues that I do my damn-est to eliminate in the first place.
In essence the best upgrade that you can make and it's system synergy dependent of course, is to step up to a Lyra Delos cartridge with a SUT.
This cartridge is so damn good, it defies explanation.

I've recently acquired two SL-110A tables and there isn't that much of a difference though, the SL-110A seem a touch more slower paced whereas the SL-120mk1 seems faster with transients and with longer note decay.
I find the SL-120Mk1 is best with its original mat in place as I've tried many different types.
Unless you'd want to change the capacitors to keep the speeds tighter, otherwise run this table regularly to keep the original capacitors formed unless they're too far gone, then changing them may be necessary. Also make sure the platter rotates 2 or 3 so times after shut-down. If it doesn't, add 2 drops of light oil and check again.
Below is my main set-up, there's also a Thorens TD125 in this system. In system number 2, the SL-110A will be set-up in similar fashion.
FM
CIMG0192.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone have a line on dust covers that would fit on an 1210m3d? Looking around the web besides an occasional used one popping up on the Bay i am at a loss. I understand that they are not needed and most don't use theirs , but for some reason i like having one. That and we just got 2 new kittens that i am trying to keep off my table!

FullCompass has one for the Stanton STR850 that fits the 1200mk2 very well. It uses different hinges though. they line up with the Technics hinges. At $7.99 + shipping it was a no brainer if your just looking for something to cover the table while it's idle. Technics covers can cost up to $250.00 if you can find them.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/073670-Stanton-SHP0002
Wow- that looks pretty damn nice for that price. Different hinges huh? So you just use the stock Techincs ones and they line up or do you use the hinges made for the Stanton? Thanks for the info!
Jeff

It is, I bought one. But I just have it sitting on top with no hinges. I don't know what the differenced would be other than the Stanton uses 4 screw per hinge bracket while technics uses 2. So some changes would need to be made to get the to mount. Take a look at the technics hinges online and then the Stanton to see the differences. They DO line up to the Technics hinge placement though.

Wow- that looks pretty damn nice for that price. Different hinges huh? So you just use the stock Techincs ones and they line up or do you use the hinges made for the Stanton? Thanks for the info!
Jeff

The site also carries the hinges specific to this stanton cover, they're like $3-4 each I believe. They can be adapted to use if you're willing to drill and tap your technics plinth.

I tried to drill and modify the dust cover to work with technics hinges. I was successful, but it's really ugly, and the final fit was less than perfect.

Has anyone tried the new Poly-Metal or Poly-Glass mats from KAB? Another question I have is about the KAB PS1200GX power supply. Currently, I use a DIY outboard power supply and was wondering would the KAB power supply be a noticeable upgrade.

Thoughts?

I'm looking forward to hearing comparisons between the 1200Mk2 and 1200GR. Although the specs are pretty close im curious about the new motor and better vibration damping impact the final sound.

I'm not sure where I left off here. I had gotten a Zurpreme HS and a Grado green. Used the Baerwald arc protractor for the alignment. I was disappointed with the results. I replaced the stylus on the AT-120E. I used the custom arc template generator from Conrads free stuff and aligned both to Stevenson which when checked with the Technics alignment gauge both are dead on. The Zupreme with the Grado came in at 18.01 g. so I'm using the auxiliary weight. The realignment seemed to improve the SQ of the Grado but not by much. I'm not sure how to describe it. Kind of dull, lacking something, some of the spectrum seemed distant. To be able to go back and forth between the two I added the headshell weight to the Technics HS with the AT-120E. It came in at 18.14 g. So its fairly easy to swap them. Dial the VTF and set the VTA. The AT-120E is sweet. Brighter then the Grado but full spectrum. Does it seem odd to set up the Technics HS with the HS weight and the auxiliary weight? More mass I suppose. The Zupreme and Grado have been parked and I have been enjoying the AT for now. So to try to improve things and hopefully wake up the Grado I purchased the KAB tonearm fluid damper. Any tips on installing it? Anything I should watch out for?

20180207_231641.jpg

I'm not sure where I left off here. I had gotten a Zurpreme HS and a Grado green. Used the Baerwald arc protractor for the alignment. I was disappointed with the results. I replaced the stylus on the AT-120E. I used the custom arc template generator from Conrads free stuff and aligned both to Stevenson which when checked with the Technics alignment gauge both are dead on. The Zupreme with the Grado came in at 18.01 g. so I'm using the auxiliary weight. The realignment seemed to improve the SQ of the Grado but not by much. I'm not sure how to describe it. Kind of dull, lacking something, some of the spectrum seemed distant. To be able to go back and forth between the two I added the headshell weight to the Technics HS with the AT-120E. It came in at 18.14 g. So its fairly easy to swap them. Dial the VTF and set the VTA. The AT-120E is sweet. Brighter then the Grado but full spectrum. Does it seem odd to set up the Technics HS with the HS weight and the auxiliary weight? More mass I suppose. The Zupreme and Grado have been parked and I have been enjoying the AT for now. So to try to improve things and hopefully wake up the Grado I purchased the KAB tonearm fluid damper. Any tips on installing it? Anything I should watch out for?

View attachment 1109599

Hello glad you like your 120E as I like mine as well. Tried a Ortofon blue which sounds pretty good also but the 120E just sounds better as the volume goes up. Too bad they don’t make it anymore. Let me know how your fluid dampener works as I was thinking of getting one also. Grados sound great on my friends Pioneer decks but kind of flat on the 1200 not too lively in the music.

The AT-120E is kind of a sleeper. I got mine before I started modding my 'SL1200MK2 and so far it has not proven to be a weak link. I too have purchased a tonearm damper and will install it soon. Everything I have read about the KAB damper has been positive so I think the AT-120E will sound even better.

I installed the fluid damper today. Its a pretty simple install. The only thing I think there is to watch is to make sure the trough is down tight and snug into the arm base. The instructions say to just snug the set screws and don't over tighten. And of course you need to reset tracking force. I also ordered some spindle oil at the same time and applied a couple of drops. I put it back together with the Grado. Its back in the audio cabinet now. I haven't fill the trough yet. I'm going to play some of my best/favorite albums tomorrow hopefully, maybe even twice. Then fill the trough and listen again. Instructions says to fill the trough half way. some may say 1/3 works best and others may say a little over half is best. Anyone have experience with this and what is your recommendation? The kit seems very well made and fits perfect. The only improvement I could suggest is a line scribed in the trough for the fluid level.

20180209_172357.jpg 20180209_155708.jpg 20180209_155251.jpg 20180209_155500.jpg

I've got a fluid damper on my 1210 and have it filled a little under half way. I've not really experimented with amount of oil in the trough but made sure there is enough that the paddle is at least a quarter submerged when in use.

Let us know if you can hear a difference with and without the oil!

I wish the paddle would flip up so I can compare more. I have the trough about half full. if anything a little less then half. Very subtle difference with the AT-120E. But I didn't give it much of a listen. But wow! It did a wonderful thing for the Grado. The mids and highs came forward. Like a vale had been lifted. It digs deeper into the bottom. But not into the mud. Clean and punchy. Very smooth. After a few cuts I reset the tracking force on the Grado from 1.5g to 1.75g. And it got even better. I had been disappointed with the Grado and now I'm really digging it. Seems to have improved the imaging or soundstage also. Less fatigue, easier to close my eyes and see the music. Its not a night and day difference. But the more I listen its like I'll play a cut and its a subtle fresh and new to my ears again. So the verdict is was well worth it.

20180213_143729.jpg 20180213_142918.jpg

I see you have the Zupreme headshell. You ought to try the Denon DL103 with that headshell. It's still my favorite sounding combination of the carts I've tried on my 1210.

I see you have the Zupreme headshell. You ought to try the Denon DL103 with that headshell. It's still my favorite sounding combination of the carts I've tried on my 1210.
I hadn't considered the DL-103 because it's a MC cartridge. I only have a MM phono stage on the A-S501. I haven't researched phono preamps much yet. Maybe down the road. Right now I'm enjoying the Grado green. I have a few more hours on it now and its become quite pleasing. The damper seems to have changed its personality. I was ready to donate it to my brothers Denon DP-60.

When pressing the start / stop button is it normal to hear a very brief "hum" noise from the table? In other words, the hum is not coming from speakers but from the table itself. It only lasts for a brief second when pressing start or stop. I never noticed that before. Any ideas what causes that?

When pressing the start / stop button is it normal to hear a very brief "hum" noise from the table? In other words, the hum is not coming from speakers but from the table itself. It only lasts for a brief second when pressing start or stop. I never noticed that before. Any ideas what causes that?
No. That is not common in my experience. In my head, I am looking through the electronics of the 1200mk2 -- I am not your best support on what is making that sound.

Oh -- is your turntable pugged into your amplifier? If It is plugged into a power out on your amplifier, you may experience a sound like you are describing.

Is it the transformer ?

Back
Top Bottom