The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

I'm running a ZU Denon103 on my 1210, fantastic cart. I figure I'll get the fluid damper at some point, but would also like to hear from anyone else with the ZU cart and a before and after comparison.
Glenn

I’m running a Grado Red1 on a 1210M5G. Currently it’s played through the phono input of a lovely little Pioneer SA-500a amplifier. I’d like to purchase both a Schiit Mani and a KAB fluid damper.

Which of these two do you guys recommend I get first? Which will make the most immediate difference? I’m looking to hopefully get increased clarity and widened soundstage out of my cart. I’ve seen the positive comments regarding the effect of the damper on the Grado. Anybody running both of these options with a Grado?

I'm running a ZU Denon103 on my 1210, fantastic cart. I figure I'll get the fluid damper at some point, but would also like to hear from anyone else with the ZU cart and a before and after comparison.
Glenn
Glenn, I used a Paradox Pulse Guard DL-103 (essentially the same as yours) on my SL-1200 mk2 and loved it. I already had the fluid damper when I got to that point, so I don't have a before/after comparison. I like the cartridge so much it was the only one I held on to when I got my SOTA and sold all of my other cartridges as well as the SL-1200.

I’m running a Grado Red1 on a 1210M5G. Currently it’s played through the phono input of a lovely little Pioneer SA-500a amplifier. I’d like to purchase both a Schiit Mani and a KAB fluid damper.

Which of these two do you guys recommend I get first? Which will make the most immediate difference? I’m looking to hopefully get increased clarity and widened soundstage out of my cart. I’ve seen the positive comments regarding the effect of the damper on the Grado. Anybody running both of these options with a Grado?
Get the TD-1200 first, it truly will transform how your Grado performs.

Glenn, I used a Paradox Pulse Guard DL-103 (essentially the same as yours) on my SL-1200 mk2 and loved it. I already had the fluid damper when I got to that point, so I don't have a before/after comparison. I like the cartridge so much it was the only one I held on to when I got my SOTA and sold all of my other cartridges as well as the SL-1200.
Thanks for the info.
The cart sounds great with the M5G. The damper would be the next phase for improvement, after that, I don't know, and may be done for a while with this aspect of my system.

Modding the "Techie" tonearm

This idea came from a chap in the UK on the AOS forum. I wanted a better tonearm for my '1200 but good ones don't come cheap, then I saw this. It was among a few mods the guy did on a SL-1200 for his girlfriend. I priced the parts needed and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new arm. The weak links on a SL-1200 tonearm are the tube and the wiring. This fixes those weak links. The bearing/gimbal mount is already very good so this takes it up to another level.

Carbon fiber tubing
Aluminum tubing
Angled headshell
Tonearm wire

104_1304-L.jpg

104_1305-L.jpg

104_1303-L.jpg
Hi coming late to this, what size and pecs were the tubes you used , as I would like to give this a go? Thanks

Threw on the AT-150mlx this morning and tested it on my Shure Test Record. The 150mlx does a superb job tracking the high dynamic range tracks with the least distortion of any other cart I own. Although I tend to prefer the organic sound of the DL-103 the AT-150mlx is more detailed and seems to have tighter bass.

Hi coming late to this, what size and pecs were the tubes you used , as I would like to give this a go? Thanks

Hi eldarvanyar. The length of the carbon fiber tube is 6 7/8" long. I think that works out to 174.625mm. The length of the aluminum inner tube is a bit shorter since the "nub" (?) of the headshell fits into the carbon fiber tube. The specs of the carbon fiber tube are 10mm OD, 8mm ID. The aluminum inner tube is 8mm-OD, mm-ID. Measure the end of the stock tube that goes into the bearing housing and sand just that much of the new tube to get it to fit. Make sure you don't taper the tube as you sand it. Done right this is all press in fit. No glue needed.

Oh yeah, I had to add a 2g headshell weight because the new tonearm is actually lighter. This may vary depending on the cartridge you use.

Hi eldarvanyar. The length of the carbon fiber tube is 6 7/8" long. I think that works out to 174.625mm. The length of the aluminum inner tube is a bit shorter since the "nub" (?) of the headshell fits into the carbon fiber tube. The specs of the carbon fiber tube are 10mm OD, 8mm ID. The aluminum inner tube is 8mm-OD, mm-ID. Measure the end of the stock tube that goes into the bearing housing and sand just that much of the new tube to get it to fit. Make sure you don't taper the tube as you sand it. Done right this is all press in fit. No glue needed.

Oh yeah, I had to add a 2g headshell weight because the new tonearm is actually lighter. This may vary depending on the cartridge you use.

Hi Rickey,

Thanks for this I have ordered a carbon fibre tube 10mm OD, 8mm ID. I just need to order the aluminium tube.

Just joined the forum - new here but not to the hobby.

I've had numerous belt-driven TTs since the '70s (Pioneer, Linn, Clearaudio, Michell & several Regas) but this is my 1st & only DD, purchased January.... a new SL1200G.

Age 60 & retired I've:
1. time on my hands
2. sold a lot of old hifi gear
3. got a big discount from the dealer
(+ v slight warbling on sustained notes on my 'best' belt table)

What are my impressions? - Significantly tighter bass notes than any other turntable I've listened to, in fact quite astonishing bass with the best image clarity & soundstage I've experienced on any turntable. My belt tables sound less defined, almost 'wooly' by comparison, esp leading & trailing edges of notes (small degrees) - I guess rock steady pitch is contributing. Image clarity from this thing is also outstanding, a friend summed it up by saying he could close his eyes and reach out & touch every instrument, it's that good (no female performer allowed in that soundstage).

Supposedly the GAE/G magnesium tonearm is likely to be the weak link but I haven't found anything to fault yet after playing hundreds of hours of music & 6 different cartridges. I also deliberately spun several badly warped LPs yesterday (via an old VMS20E II & also a Roksan Corus Black) & it seems to damp them really well - certainly no need for a KAB that I can hear.

Next week I'm off to Idaho to stay with my Daughter & while there I'm planning to get a Grado Prestige 2 cart (a forum member has kindly offered to let me check it out on his Technics). Even though I'm a Brit, we spend many months a year in the USA & one of my direct ancestors was one of the 50 signatories of the Dec of Independence so on that basis I hope I'm allowed to join this 'club' ;) - though I will probably be very dull & never add or change anything, apart from my fav mat.

Why did I wait so long for DD?

stNJAm5.jpg

Last edited:
bought a used 1200mk2 on craigslist in fair condition for $250 because i missed the 1210mk2 back home. serviced it, fixed the VTA adjustment, polished the dust cover. now it is back to dominate my listening area, put the previous sl1500 in shame.
p2514721719.jpg p2515088997.jpg

Just joined the forum - new here but not to the hobby.

I've had numerous belt-driven TTs since the '70s (Pioneer, Linn, Clearaudio, Michell & several Regas) but this is my 1st & only DD, purchased January.... a new SL1200G.

Age 60 & retired I've:
1. time on my hands
2. sold a lot of old hifi gear
3. got a big discount from the dealer
(+ v slight warbling on sustained notes on my 'best' belt table)

What are my impressions? - Significantly tighter bass notes than any other turntable I've listened to, in fact quite astonishing bass with the best image clarity & soundstage I've experienced on any turntable. My belt tables sound less defined, almost 'wooly' by comparison, esp leading & trailing edges of notes (small degrees) - I guess rock steady pitch is contributing. Image clarity from this thing is also outstanding, a friend summed it up by saying he could close his eyes and reach out & touch every instrument, it's that good (no female performer allowed in that soundstage).

Supposedly the GAE/G magnesium tonearm is likely to be the weak link but I haven't found anything to fault yet after playing hundreds of hours of music & 6 different cartridges. I also deliberately spun several badly warped LPs yesterday (via an old VMS20E II & also a Roksan Corus Black) & it seems to damp them really well - certainly no need for a KAB that I can hear.

Next week I'm off to Idaho to stay with my Daughter & while there I'm planning to get a Grado Prestige 2 cart (a forum member has kindly offered to let me check it out on his Technics). Even though I'm a Brit, we spend many months a year in the USA & one of my direct ancestors was one of the 50 signatories of the Dec of Independence so on that basis I hope I'm allowed to join this 'club' ;) - though I will probably be very dull & never add or change anything, apart from my fav mat.

Why did I wait so long for DD?

stNJAm5.jpg

Same here the G is awesome. You describe the sound very well

Attachments

• 20180223_205336.jpg
    20180223_205336.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 24
Very nice setup indeed!! How are satisfied with this clamp? What improved with and without? THX

Thanks! I apologize for it being turned.

I like the clamp, though I find it to be a bit more of an assistance to an album that is slightly warped than a big increase in sound.

For best benefit, I found tonearm/ rca rewire and increasing the weight of the platter to help me the most.

I order one two days ago. I´m waiting for delivery :)

It is one of the best designs I have seen. It has worked flawlessly for me with heavy use. It gives nearly all the benefits of a threaded spindle without having to take you turntable apart. I have yet to be disappointed by any of Kevin's stuff.

I have one of the Technics mats, and I have played around with it both way. I currently have the flat side up. I am sure that it plays well with many other mats as well.

Back
Top Bottom