The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

PM Sent! Ingjerd (my wife), Erik (older adopted son), and myself between us own 6 SL-1200 MK II and 5 models (our personal turntables), and own over 16 of them at work in broadcast service. Poor man's SP-25! Excellent on a variety of cartridges from AT 95 and Stanton 500 series up to Benz Micro Ace MC cartridges. One of our 1200 Mk II sports a Shure V15 Type III with Jico SAS stylus. Superb match for the arm.

I love the 1100 (and own the armless 110) but they are different enough to warrant a distinction.

Perhaps a sister group?

Tell me about your 1100- which arm is mounted? I have an SME 3009 and may modify a Sony PUA-07 to a second arm board...

Heheh, It's a Goodwill find, $12. Has the SME 3009 and I think it was a damaged AT cartridge with no needle (of course.) For now it has the Shure V15 Mk5 MR (not "x") and needs a replacement tonearm cable, but works well as is. Also I'd like to buff the cover. Here's where I mention it.. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2709578#post2709578

I've had the arm apart to check for bearing wear and dirt, but there was none, it seems to have had very light use. So, where do I get the wire?

Here's my SL1200MK2. I bought it for $40 at an estate sale :D.

I've torn it apart twice. The chassis has been dampened, motor lubed, and feet replaced with brass cones. I've got a KAB platter and fluid damper. I had a buddy who's a professional painter put the nice powder blue paint on it.

I'm currently saving pennies to have the tonearm rewired (I tried it myself twice and failed.).

My primary turntable is a VPI Scout, so the 1200 is a pet project. When it's done I'll probably use it for mono LPs and digitizing LPs.

Attachments

• blue1.jpg.jpeg
    blue1.jpg.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 561
  • blue2.jpg.jpeg
    blue2.jpg.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 407
  • blue3.jpg.jpeg
    blue3.jpg.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 407
Count me in - PM to be sent shortly!

Mine's an SL1210 Mk2, currently sporting an AT110E. Standard other than that, apart from ditching the rubber mat for a felt one (livens up the midrange) and removing the rubber washer between headshell and arm (improves stereo imagery).

Yeah im running it with the slipmat right now and honestly it sounds pretty good! Im going to buy a rubber for mine soon and see if there is much of a difference.

Ill also try removing the rubber ring around the headshell and see if that does anything for me.

I'm using an SL-1200 MK II in my main system. I bought it used, plug and play, with a Stanton 681 EEE cartridge a couple of years ago. PM sent to sign me up.

OK I cant resist the opportunity to show mine when I can.

cropped_table.jpg

Attachments

• table 3.jpg
    table 3.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
MelodyMaster,

You can likely still get a new tonearm cable from SME Ltd. They still have parts for the old 3009 and have superb customer service. Nice tonearm!

This will be interesting! 5 pages already and I'm sure this thread will have some legs.

Count me in....I have an SL1200Mk2 with a Shure M97xe and it brings me much joy :music:.

I doubt there will be any upgrades, except maybe a cart. All those tweaks would be a waste of $$$ to me. My hearing just ain't what it used to be. And the TT sounds fabulous just the way it is.

Last edited:
I have a SL-1210MK5 i purchased 2 months ago. It is running a Stanton/Radio shack RS500DJ I purchased in the early 90's. I am currently using the slip mat, i alternate between that and the rubber mat you see under the unit. Only mod i have done was purchased the hinge kit from KAB. :music:

DSC01111.jpg

MelodyMaster,

You can likely still get a new tonearm cable from SME Ltd. They still have parts for the old 3009 and have superb customer service. Nice tonearm!

Actually I did check their online catalog and couldn't identify which cable part was for this specific arm. It IS a nice tonearm, however if I was going to get such good stuff virtually free I wish it were the 3012, since I need to find an arm to play 16.5" Vitaphone discs. Also I'd like to switch to a detachable headshell, since there are quite different requirments for 45's, late stereo, early stereo, and early microgroove, which can't necessarily be encompassed just by changing the stylus.

Since this is an SL-1200 thread... how really does the performance between the 1100 and 1200 and 1210 compare? The SL-1100 with its massive turntable, heavy plinth, and excellent tonearms must be in the running., even if it's "older."

Isn't this interesting how so many of us have purchased turntables with what some would call an inferior arm or as they say the WEAK link in this turntable chain.
I don't agree. I've heard other arms and mine with the upgrades sounded better to me mids were stronger bass was to die for. But it makes you wonder who started all this inferior arm nonsense?

#1: This is currently being KABized. After all the research and after buying the armboards, I've decided to stick with a Technics arm. I'm intrigued by the fluid damper and ordered one with the arm as well as some other accessories. (The platter is being stored separately, for the moment.)

SL1200MK2_01.jpg

...here's the after pic ....mmmmmm.... fluid damper..... gooooood.... :thmbsp::thmbsp:

IMG_3661.jpg

#2: This was a cheap salvage from sleezebay and is currently my main table (even over my SL-M3). It actually has the arm from #1.

SL1200MK2_02.jpg

I've thought about repainting it (and I may still). However, right now I'm enjoying people laughing at it... ...until they listen to it.

Last edited:
Isn't this interesting how so many of us have purchased turntables with what some would call an inferior arm or as they say the WEAK link in this turntable chain.
I don't agree. I've heard other arms and mine with the upgrades sounded better to me mids were stronger bass was to die for. But it makes you wonder who started all this inferior arm nonsense?

A Monkey on the Middle did it...

I wish I could hear your gear :yes:

Can I join?

I have a brand new SL-1210 M5G with AT-440mla cartridge. I really could use some advice:

Anybody else running that cartridge?
If so, did you install it with that little black plate Technics supplies for lighter cartridges? ( the 440mla is borderline ).
Are you getting inner groove tracking problems?
What anti-skate settings are you using?
What VTF?
Which protractor did you use?
Did you use the white Technics overhang gauge?
What height is your tonearm set at for this cartridge?

Cheers!

attachment.php

With credits to AK Member kwingylee who snapped the photo, here's a pic of my SL-1210 M5G as it appeared at this year's AK Fest.

attachment.php

The "isolation system" in use is a set of racquetballs set inside some nice wood caster cups. Its not ultra-deluxe, but it works like a charm. And it addresses one of the few issues I have with the Technics - the semi-crappy stock feet.

When compared to the top guns out the - such as the SME's - the Technics arm is "inferior". However, with minimal effort, the weaknesses in the arm, which are relatively few in comparison to the "better arms" out there, can easily be overcome.

The first order of business is to make sure that your cartridge of choice matches up well with the Technics arm. A medium to medium - high compliance cartridge is a better fit for the arm, though heavier cartridges can be made to work well. On my budget, the Stanton 881S and the Ortofon OM-30 are very nice fits for this table, tracking in the 1.25 to 1.5 gram range respectively.

The fluid damper is intriguing, though I'm not confident that my listening environment would allow me to experience the difference it makes.

After that, its the little things:

- make sure the cartridge is aligned. I've had great success with the Technics alignment gauge.
- adjust the VTA so that the arm is parallel to the table with the stylus in the groove. Beyond that, adjust by ear if needed.
- make sure the table is level.
- The thicker Supermat is a nice addition to manage vibrations, and it makes it easier to get the VTA correctly set with a wider variety of cartridges.

The final step: drop the arm on some vinyl and have fun!

Last edited:
So what do you prefer soundwise? Also what type of music are you listening to?

I really like the Denon but there is just something about the Grado that gets you in.

I was listening to Mozart in the picture but I mainly listen to classic rock.

Back
Top Bottom