The Official -Technics SL-1600/1700/1800- Owners Thread

sure am glad someone resurected this thread.
As a proud owner of a lowly SLD2, can anyone advise me on the best upstep
to enter the 16/17/1800 club?

Last edited:
sure am glad someone resurected this thread.
As a owner of a lowly SLD2, can anyone advise me on the best upstep
to enter the 16/17/1800 club?
Well they're all the same except for the automatic features, the 1600 is fully automatic with a start button and a repeat function, the 1700 is semi, (like your D2) you have to start it manually, but stops automatically, the 1700 is a manual. One of the problems on these units is the cueing mechanism, mostly an easy fix with a new pulley belt. by the way, I like the D2, just sold mine.

I like having auto return.
so 1700 is one to zero in on.
mite try bartertown.
You could go for a MK1: servo controlled or an MK2: quartz controlled, the latter shares a lot of parts with the SL1200MK2 and tends to be more expensive. Personally I prefer the looks of the MK1, I have a pair of SL1710MK1 for daily use.

I'm reparing a set of sl1700mk2's and want to change the stylus light to LED, has anyone done that? What kind of resistor would I need, We have 230V.

Please start a new thread on your project with lots of pictures and parts numbers.

It would be fun to see and read.

I have a MKII that might benefit from some jazzing up. :idea:

Noob here, just picked up a SL 1600 to replace my old Pioneer PL 115D, it is in perfect condition, came with a MA 2002e cartridge, I added my Nagaoka mp-110 , I'm really liking it!

Noob here, just picked up a SL 1600 to replace my old Pioneer PL 115D, it is in perfect condition, came with a MA 2002e cartridge, I added my Nagaoka mp-110 , I'm really liking it!

Welcome to the AK turntable forum.

Congratulations on your acquisition of the Technics SL-1600 and Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge. :thumbsup:

Following along with the 1600/1700/1800 Mk2 vs SL-1200 Mk2 discussion, has anyone put a KAB external power supply or strobe disable board on these? I picked up both for my SL-1210 Mk2 but I'm thinking of going a different route and doing the SL-1800 Mk2 instead:

Here we go:

SL1800Mk2_a_zpsjrw2vu6t.jpg

SL1800Mk2_b_zpsrrz7n36h.jpg

Works just fine. I haven't done any cleaning or work on the power button. It came with a Stanton p-mount in an adapter (D70e stylus). I'm checking out an ADC QLM34MkIII for a fellow AKer, so I mounted that up for testing.

The counterweight it came with is the wrong one ... it's the correct mass but it's from something like a SL-D2. I have one for my SL-1210Mk2 that I put on for now ... guess I'll have to go shopping!

Roel, I had the same issue on one of my 2 SL-1600Mk2s when I first got it (along with a few other problems). I opened up the TT, and exposed the actual potentiometer that is operated by the "pitch control knob" thumbwheel via an extended shaft. A couple of shots of Deoxit D5 on the potentiometer along with several rotations of the wheel from one stop to the other totally solved the problem. Speed is rock solid stable now. That may not solve yours, but it likely will.

I have my SL 1600 mk II in reserve, thinking out bringing it back into the rotation and using it in my office system.

Anyone ever put the KAB fluid damper on one of these units? I assume it can be installed on one.

Seems to me that having the fluid damper and the heavy counter-weight option would open theses table up to many possibilities for cartridges.

Hmmmm. ;)

Have owned a SL1700 for a couple of years now and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Totally restored and recapped the motor board and wire ect. But the real fun was upgrading to MC cart. Even an entry level MC is pure magic! Started with the denon DL110 and was blown away, the ATOC9ML is just stupid good on this table. Still have it but it has been moved to a 2nd system for a Denon DP1200 (based purely on cosmetics) sound wise they are pretty much equal. The mkll even better. Can't go wrong with this table (in it price range) if you have one PLEASE try a MC cart. You won't be sorry.

Hi fixing and using my Uncles original SL-1600 that he hasn't ran in about 20 years. He was missing the headshell/needle and hinges for the cover. Does anyone have a part number or a link to where I can purchase the hinges for the dust cover? I have been searching high and low for 2 days and no luck. The seem pretty proprietary and I'm not sure if it may be easier and cheaper to find some sort of replacement dust cover that would fit up with the back? Any help would be appreciated Thanks!!

Thank you, yes stumbled across that sight last night and just checked again they don't have them. I contacted them and asked if they could help me. Is there a replacement cover with hinges that would fit up with the holes in the back? Is the mounting holes on the SL=1600 universal (same dimensions) to other tables like the 1200?

I'm trying a 1700 MKI right now and like it a lot. I might have a line on a MKII and I'm not sure it's worth it or not. I also notice the suspension on the MKI is a bit flogged.

Back
Top Bottom