The old lady catches on....

piece-it pete

What, me worry?
and yes, I'll pay for that, she does watch....

But I can get away with it. We've been together for 18 years. :D Anyway I just went to a biamp setup last night for the first time. She asked me this A.M. how to play the vcr and since it runs through the tv it was very simple. I left it at that for now.

She's been reading this AS I TYPE. She just said, "If somebody held a gun to my head and said they'd shoot me if I didn't play a dvd, they might as well shoot me". However, she should WAIT until I'm finished.

I come home from work about 20 minutes ago, [this just in: "and you're on the internet- that should say something"] and notice that ....

whoa. I was about to say she DID figure out how to play a dvd but I'm wrong. When, when will I understand that never happens? Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Pete

PS: I started this post because I noticed that both amps were on, and I thought she figured out how to play a dvd. HOWEVER, it turns out that she didn't remember which input to set the preamp on to play dvds, which is the same one it's been for a year. Dudes, [can't think of the right thing to say here].

Gotta update the instruction manual every time you change things, Pete :D

Before I updated and simplified my HT system I printed out instructions with every possible combination of options. Saved me alot of headaches and the wife could use the system whenever she wanted to. That however wasn't often.

cubdog

since i bi-receivered my 9's, i'm the only one in the house who know how to change the source. its very easy, CDP on Tape 1, DVD on Tape 2 and satellite dish on Aux. every time i try to show someone, they dont want to bother with it.

Pete,
how do you like your 9's bi-amped?

I've found out that women fear change, and also dislike "new" old equipment. Good luck with that. Mine is going to Cedar Point this weekend, wonder if she'll notice the "changes. Honey, I've always had that around. :naughty:

lol oh yes, there used to be a simple, little diagram. Back at the beginning, until we were all clear. I run a Hafler DH-110 - I always liked the functional beauty.

She turned the tape 1 monitor on and without the diagram, it didn't happen. I come to find she's just been turning the selector knob until sound came out!

But she's ok :yes: .

[edit: I managed to hijack my own post! :blah: I'll post a link to my biamp experience here after I mess with it for a couple of days.]

The SO is calling, I'd better git!

Pete

Last edited:
When I started Bi-Amping, I mentioned to my wife that she should turn on the crossover before turning on the power amps, otherwise, there is a nasty turn on thump. She hasn't touched the system since.

a few months ago i was on a road trip to tx. one night she asks how to turn my mac on so she can listen to some trisha yearwood so i talked her through the whole thing long distance , next day she could not remember 1 bit .
sometimes the gods do smile on us from above.

my mother is the same way, she never had a good system till i came of audio age, and now she is set on here denon, can use all functions, and without the annoyance of me living there and swapping stuff out all the time, she can finally start a moving in under five minutes.

My syster, who is eleven, came to my house and figured out my rig in about a minute, guess she's helped me out hooking stuff up enough to have an inkling of my madness.

Ya know.. this scenario is a classic example of why new technologies like CD's, BPC boomboxes, MP3's, iPods, and other "convenience" home entertainment products catch on so quickly.

Never underestimate the importance and value of "ease of use".

The main system in our household is still the Panasonic SA-HE100 Home Theater Receiver, because it is the easiest to use to integrate multiple sources. One knob is used to select various sources (TAPE, TV, DVD, VCR, CD, TUNER and PHONO), and it switches both audio and video signals.

We are currently only using 3 of the options:
TV - Digital Cable Box
DVD - universal CD/DVD player
VCR - VHS unit

As a result, my vintage Kenwood based system is basically reserved for my exclusive use at this point.

Last edited:
I set up the living room system just for the GF, but it's mostly crap. She'd never figure out my dungeon systems, but that's no problem, since she never goes into it!

It's not just a woman thing.

One of my best friends(a guy) is TOTALLY intimidated by my system,can't understand remotes,loves music but just gets frustrated by not being able to access everything from ONE button. :worried:

Maybe "Recall" isn't developed by "Rote" learning. Understanding something, developes "Recall"....You push the middle valve down, the Music goes round and round, ...and it comes out here...

Pete I make my rig as hard to understand as possible. That way the Mrs. has no crazy ideas about playing with it when I'm not home.

Mike

My daughter quietly watches from across the room and learns. My wife just ask's her to do it.

My mom doesnt even know how to use my sx 650 lol. My brother does so when im not home i unplug it all the cord from the outlet and the speakers from the reciever so he cant use it. Other wise he is listening to his headbanging horror show i dont want that crap ever touching my system. My dad he hates my system he says its got way too much bass. So over half of the time i either listen to it down low when hes here or listen through the soundesign headphones he gave me. I also unplug the reciever and everything in my room when its lightning out too. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom