The old & the new making lovely music

bully

A few comments about the current system playing.
I have the Soundcraftsmen PA5001 mated with the Luxman C-383, the speaker system is the Phase Linear P-530. The cdplayer is the Sony CDP-XE500 single disk player.
The music is by Chopin, nocturnes played by Vladimir Ashkenazy.
Listening level is moderate, but more than less, eh?
The sound is simply gorgeous. Ashkenazy has a very fine sense of the music, and his playing on this cd (London 414 564-2) is both melodic and powerful, sweet and pure.
The reproduction through the P-530 is stunning. Especially with the upper registers, the feel of the single notes, the percussive impact of hammer on string and the vibrato, makes one wish for more beryllium dome tweets! The sound is clean, open & extended.
OK, now a young woman named Meredith Brooks and a bit more rockin' cd.
She's got such an 'innocent and sweet' alto, her vocals are pure and projected front and center. The sound of the foot on the pedal driving the bass drum is right there.
The guitars, holyyeasuse are they there, too. The sounds are very even and balanced throughout the frequency range. Admittedly they are about 5-1/2 feet off the floor, but the bass is there, and responds very fast.
The PA5001 is rated at 250 wpc with no more than 0.09% THD, and recently benched at 290 wpc with no more than 0.003% THD in the 'noisy' channel :cool:
When I'm listening to this system, it is my favorite. But, lemme try this out, when listening to this system, I get wrapped up in the reproduction, and can get lost in enjoying the sound of the reproduction--the thumps, twang, & zing of instruments and vocals.
Now, with the M-80/C-2/L100 FrankenCentury's, it's less listening to the resolution of the sound than to the rockin' out fun.
I mean, it's the music, but also I get caught up at the grin factor of this playing system and its ability to catch the sound.
This is kinda answering, in a half-measure, MikE's question.

pete

"... kinda answering, in a half-measure, MikE's question."

And very nicely, thank you. MikE

Thanks, MikE.
This particular set combines high power output and rather efficient speaker systems (mid-90dB/w/m), with really sweet resolution of the music. The combo allows volume levels that calls for comparison with certain types of live performance. It does not have the power and impact of the big stereo, but it does rather 'catch me up' in the presentation. With piano- or guitar-based jazz-rock fusion (love that stuff), I can get chills up and down my back from the immediacy of the music. Or, WOW, the blues blues guitar of Roy Buchanan, or the roots of Leo Kottke.
Larry Coryell and George Benson both sound chillingly real.
This morning and early afternoon, I've been lazy, and have had the T-80 tuned to a local station (that I am disturbed is billed as an "oldies" rock station! bummer, but beats the alternative).
It is just powerfully good sounding.

Back
Top Bottom